Unable to Install OpenOffice on Suse Linux

Unable to Install OpenOffice on Suse Linux

Lance Green
Dear Open Office,

I am not sure my problem is with Open Office or YAST.

I have downloaded Open Office 2.0 for Linux on a Suse Linux 9.1 Pro PC
(AMD2600 with 1G memory).

I navigate to the library where I saved the download and find the SUSE
RPM. When I click on this I receive a message do I wish to install with
YAST which I do.
When YAST checks dependencies I recieve a message missing CORE01.
I go back to the download package and select the LinuxIntellInstall.tar.gz
I navigate to the RPMS directory where I find the CORE01 and a host of
other RPMs. When I select any of them I am I get option to install with
YAST which I select. However every package I select gives me dependency
problems and I do not seem to be able to select multiple packages for
installation at the same time.

Is there a single package which contains all the packages which  I need
to install so that I do not get the dependency problems.

If not is the there any way I can get the earlier version of OpenOffice
to upgrade to OpenOffice 2.0 without having to select all the RPM's.

Thanks
Lance

Re: Unable to Install OpenOffice on Suse Linux

Dan Lewis-6
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 06:12 am, Lance Green wrote:

> Dear Open Office,
>
> I am not sure my problem is with Open Office or YAST.
>
> I have downloaded Open Office 2.0 for Linux on a Suse Linux 9.1 Pro PC
> (AMD2600 with 1G memory).
>
> I navigate to the library where I saved the download and find the SUSE
> RPM. When I click on this I receive a message do I wish to install with
> YAST which I do.
> When YAST checks dependencies I recieve a message missing CORE01.
> I go back to the download package and select the LinuxIntellInstall.tar.gz
> I navigate to the RPMS directory where I find the CORE01 and a host of
> other RPMs. When I select any of them I am I get option to install with
> YAST which I select. However every package I select gives me dependency
> problems and I do not seem to be able to select multiple packages for
> installation at the same time.
>
> Is there a single package which contains all the packages which  I need
> to install so that I do not get the dependency problems.
>
> If not is the there any way I can get the earlier version of OpenOffice
> to upgrade to OpenOffice 2.0 without having to select all the RPM's.
>
> Thanks
> Lance

    Since I use Mandriva Linux, I am not completely sure about SUSE. However,
I would recommend you move the SUSE menu RPM from the desktop subdirectory to
the RPMS directory. All of the RPM's there have dependancies with each other.
Question: can you use YAST on a group of RPM's at one time? If so, try this:
use Control+A to highlight all of the RPM files in the RPMS directory. Right
click and select YAST as the program to use. This may do it.
     The standard way to install the RPM files is to open a Konsole window
(KDE). Change the directory in Konsole to the RPMS directory. Use su and your
root password to become root. Type this command in the Konsole window:
rpm -ivh *.rpm.
This will install the files in the correct order. Close Konsole.
Now you can use YAST to install the SUSE desktop RPM.
     OOo 2.0 will be installed in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/.
To finish, you need to enter this directory:
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/program and double click soffice. This will start OOo
2.0 for the first time and create this hidden directory in your home
directory:
.openoffice.org2.0/ for your local settings. It will also ask for some
information that will be placed in this hidden directory.

Dan

Re: Unable to Install OpenOffice on Suse Linux

Sigrid Kronenberger-2
Hi Lance,

Lance Green <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> Dear Open Office,
>
> I am not sure my problem is with Open Office or YAST.
>
> I have downloaded Open Office 2.0 for Linux on a Suse Linux 9.1 Pro PC
>
> (AMD2600 with 1G memory).
>
> I navigate to the library where I saved the download and find the SUSE
>
> RPM. When I click on this I receive a message do I wish to install
> with  YAST which I do.
> When YAST checks dependencies I recieve a message missing CORE01.
> I go back to the download package and select the
> LinuxIntellInstall.tar.gz I navigate to the RPMS directory where I
> find the CORE01 and a host of  other RPMs. When I select any of them I
> am I get option to install with  YAST which I select. However every
> package I select gives me dependency  problems and I do not seem to be
> able to select multiple packages for  installation at the same time.
>
> Is there a single package which contains all the packages which  I
> need  to install so that I do not get the dependency problems.

Have you downloaded the whole file? If yes, please untar it and save it
on your harddisk. Are you familiar with the bash or every other shell?

If not, I'll give you a short introduction.

Go to the directory, where you've unzipped the file (use the cd command
for this). Become root (using the su command, followed by the root
password). When you're root, install everything in this folder by typing
the command "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" (without the quotes) and all the files will
install in the right order.

When you want to install everything with Yast, you should not mark
(highlight) one of the files. If none is highlighted, Yast should also
be able to install everything in the right order.

> If not is the there any way I can get the earlier version of
> OpenOffice  to upgrade to OpenOffice 2.0 without having to select all
> the RPM's.

Hope, this helps you.

Sigrid