Unfound file extension.

Diana Allen
I have an Excel document from a state revenue department that is in .xlsx format.OO opens it correctly and allows it to be filled out, but I note that this file extension (.xlsx) is NOT in the available Excel extensions to SAVE the file in.
This is a problem since according to the revenue department, when filing electronically, it MUST be in this format.Is there a workaround for this problem, or will I have to file on paper and pay fees?  What is the difference between .xls and .xlsx anyway?  There IS a way to file the paperwork as an .xml file, but the instructions for THAT are very confusing!
An answer is needed ASAP as the form needs to be filed within 20 days of the end of the quarter, (last day of June;) and I do NOT want to have to buy MSOffice when I have been using OO for more than 20 years!
Thank you.

Re: Unfound file extension.

David Robley

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 20/6/19 1:21 pm, Diana Allen wrote:
> I have an Excel document from a state revenue department that is in .xlsx format.OO opens it correctly and allows it to be filled out, but I note that this file extension (.xlsx) is NOT in the available Excel extensions to SAVE the file in.
> This is a problem since according to the revenue department, when filing electronically, it MUST be in this format.Is there a workaround for this problem, or will I have to file on paper and pay fees?
LibreOffice is capable of reading and writing XLSX files.
>    What is the difference between .xls and .xlsx anyway?
Have a look at
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac/what-is-the-real-difference-between-a-xls-vs-xlsx/c7a9d641-d6cf-485d-81d8-1bee60bb17d0
>    There IS a way to file the paperwork as an .xml file, but the instructions for THAT are very confusing!
> An answer is needed ASAP as the form needs to be filed within 20 days of the end of the quarter, (last day of June;) and I do NOT want to have to buy MSOffice when I have been using OO for more than 20 years!
> Thank you.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Mac error message: Like, dude, something's wrong.

Re: Unfound file extension.

Julian Thomas
Typical burrocrats!

Options - find a windoze user with Office and have them save as xlsx.

Or a Mac user - I'm almost positive that the [free]  Numbers app will save as xlsx.

Sent from JT's Ipad - maybe using voice dictation!

> On Jun 19, 2019, at 23:51, Diana Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a problem since according to the revenue department, when filing electronically, it MUST be in this format.Is there a workaround for this problem, or will I have to file on paper and pay fees?

Re: Unfound file extension.

Shari Lynn Smith
If it was me, I would just change the extension after I saved it as an
xls file. :)

I would bet it will be opened on the other end fine.

Shari

On 6/19/2019 10:51 PM, Diana Allen wrote:
> I have an Excel document from a state revenue department that is in .xlsx format.OO opens it correctly and allows it to be filled out, but I note that this file extension (.xlsx) is NOT in the available Excel extensions to SAVE the file in.
> This is a problem since according to the revenue department, when filing electronically, it MUST be in this format.Is there a workaround for this problem, or will I have to file on paper and pay fees?  What is the difference between .xls and .xlsx anyway?  There IS a way to file the paperwork as an .xml file, but the instructions for THAT are very confusing!
> An answer is needed ASAP as the form needs to be filed within 20 days of the end of the quarter, (last day of June;) and I do NOT want to have to buy MSOffice when I have been using OO for more than 20 years!
> Thank you.

Re: Unfound file extension.

Alan Pearce-2
As an aside you should  never use an office file to pass  on  crucial information because  it  can be changed, unless you passward protect it and I'm not absolutley sure you can do this when sending a file. It  should be allowed to send  as PDF and  even then it can be changed.