Unicoding?

Morten Juhl Johansen-4
I have been working with the OOo Bibliographic module, which is very good
and promising when it comes to setting it straight that OOo is the tool of
choice.
I do have one problem, however.
I work with Soviet history, and OOo claims my input is invalid if I enter
Russian Cyrillic data in the bibliographic interface. Is this a fault in
my installation, or is it something which is not implemented?
I am using OOo 2.1.0 with Slackware Linux.
Also: Is it planned to be able to customize the shortname to something
more easily readable in the document?

Yours,
Morten Juhl Johansen,
Odense, Denmark

__
http://www.syntaktisk.dk

Re: Unicoding?

David Wilson-8
Morton,

        Sorry to take so long reply - I was hoping someone who really knows the
answer might reply. I am not sure if this is the answer:

You can adjust the Bibliographic database properties to select the database
character set.

To do this open the 'Data Sources' panel (F4) Select the Bibliography Data
Source and right-click with the mouse to get the context menu.

Select 'Edit Database File'. Click on the 'Table' icon on the Left and it
should then show the 'biblio' table. Select 'biblio' and right click for the
context menu. Select Database->Properties. The 'Additional Properties' Tab
has 'Character Set' selection where you can select Cyrillic or unicode (UTF-7
or UTF-8)

I tested it with Cyrillic and UTF-8  and was able to paste in russian text to
the bibliographic database.

I hope this helps.

David

On Monday 05 March 2007 8:04 pm, Morten Juhl Johansen wrote:

> I have been working with the OOo Bibliographic module, which is very good
> and promising when it comes to setting it straight that OOo is the tool of
> choice.
> I do have one problem, however.
> I work with Soviet history, and OOo claims my input is invalid if I enter
> Russian Cyrillic data in the bibliographic interface. Is this a fault in
> my installation, or is it something which is not implemented?
> I am using OOo 2.1.0 with Slackware Linux.
> Also: Is it planned to be able to customize the shortname to something
> more easily readable in the document?
>
> Yours,
> Morten Juhl Johansen,
> Odense, Denmark
>

> __
> http://www.syntaktisk.dk

Re: Unicoding?

Morten Juhl Johansen-4

---- 8< ---- David Wilson ---- 8< ----

> Morton,
>
> Sorry to take so long reply - I was hoping someone who really knows the
> answer might reply. I am not sure if this is the answer:
>
> You can adjust the Bibliographic database properties to select the
> database
> character set.
>
> To do this open the 'Data Sources' panel (F4) Select the Bibliography Data
> Source and right-click with the mouse to get the context menu.
>
> Select 'Edit Database File'. Click on the 'Table' icon on the Left and it
> should then show the 'biblio' table. Select 'biblio' and right click for
> the
> context menu. Select Database->Properties. The 'Additional Properties' Tab
> has 'Character Set' selection where you can select Cyrillic or unicode
> (UTF-7
> or UTF-8)
>
> I tested it with Cyrillic and UTF-8  and was able to paste in russian text
> the bibliographic database.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> David

It works - and thank you.
One might wonder if it would be possible to make this interface a little
less cryptic.
Do the developers accept interface mockups?

Yours,

__
http://www.syntaktisk.dk

Re: Unicoding?

David Wilson-7
On Wednesday 21 March 2007 8:14 pm, Morten Juhl Johansen wrote:

> It works - and thank you.
> One might wonder if it would be possible to make this interface a little
> less cryptic.
> Do the developers accept interface mockups?

They may be interested, you could make some suggestions on the database mail
list - [hidden email] and / or put in a enhancement proposal on the
issue system.

David

Re: Unicoding?

Morten Juhl Johansen-5
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, David Wilson kindly wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 8:14 pm, Morten Juhl Johansen wrote:
>
>> It works - and thank you.
>> One might wonder if it would be possible to make this interface a little
>> less cryptic.
>> Do the developers accept interface mockups?
>
> They may be interested, you could make some suggestions on the database mail
> list - [hidden email] and / or put in a enhancement proposal on the
> issue system.

My point is, it is a bit tricky to have to go through Base to enter the
encoding of data for Bibliographic. Would it not be possible to have this
as a part of the Bibliographic interface?
Surely, this must be a common problem?

Yours,
Morten

__
http://www.syntaktisk.dk

Re: Unicoding?

David Wilson-7
Morten,
        What you are suggesting is very sensible in terms of improving the current
bibliographic application. However, the Bibliographic Project team have not
been not been very interested in making minor changes to the current
bibliographic application because we have been concentrating our efforts into
a full redesign of the application. As the design work gets closer to
completion the end of the current bibliographic application gets closed.

The new bibliographic application will not only support Unicode it will
support character formatted text (bold, italic etc.) and embedded document
objects including mathematical and scientific formulas in the citation and
bibliography fields.

regards David