Unsaved Open Office Writer Document

Narissa Hinojosa
Hello! I am desperate for help!!

I accidentally clicked “don’t save” when editing a document! I have looked everywhere and I can’t find out how to get it back! I went through the steps online of the c:\users\ that brings up the backup file and it’s not in there!

Thank you so much for your time!

Narissa Hinojosa
General Manager
phone: 361-883-8712
email: [hidden email]

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future

Re: Unsaved Open Office Writer Document

Alan Boba-2
Hello Narissa,

I think you are out of luck. If OpenOffice or the computer had crashed or
if you forced the program to close without saving the document you would be
able to find the document per the instructions at the link below.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/recover-unsaved-work-openoffice-29581.html

That crash recovery version of the document the instructions direct how to
find disappeared whenever the program was closed by clicking the Discard
button in every test I tried.

One other possibility is look in the directory the file is saved in. Make
sure your file browser is set to show hidden files. It is possible a
version of the file might still be there. The name would likely start with
the ~ character and end with #. The file has a greater chance of being
there if it was saved on a network drive instead of the pc's hard drive.

Good luck.

At the risk of rubbing salt in a wound, and not at all intending to,
regardless what happens with this file I suggest the following to people as
a way to protect against just this sort of thing. "Save early, save often".
The keyboard combination Ctrl+S allows saving the file just as rapidly as
typing a capital letter. Get into the Ctrl+S habit at any time you pause
your editing and there's a great chance of not loosing any work.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Unsaved Open Office Writer Document

Dan Lewis
    I am sending you a copy of a reply to your problem as you are not a
member of this mailing list. If you have further problems or more of
them in this situation, please write to this mailing list
([hidden email]) and not me personally.

    I sounds like you did not set how you want backup copies to be made.
If so, Alan is completely right. Check this out:

1) Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Load/Save > General. (Select these
one at a time to browse to where you can make changes in making backups.)

2) I check Autorecovery and reduce the number of minutes to 5. With
this, information about my document is saved every 5 minutes. These are
saved in the backup folder every 5 minutes. If there is a problem like
you had, I can open the latest one of these files and continue from that
point.

Dan

On 2/3/20 10:54 PM, Alan B wrote:

> Hello Narissa,
>
> I think you are out of luck. If OpenOffice or the computer had crashed or
> if you forced the program to close without saving the document you would be
> able to find the document per the instructions at the link below.
> https://smallbusiness.chron.com/recover-unsaved-work-openoffice-29581.html
>
> That crash recovery version of the document the instructions direct how to
> find disappeared whenever the program was closed by clicking the Discard
> button in every test I tried.
>
> One other possibility is look in the directory the file is saved in. Make
> sure your file browser is set to show hidden files. It is possible a
> version of the file might still be there. The name would likely start with
> the ~ character and end with #. The file has a greater chance of being
> there if it was saved on a network drive instead of the pc's hard drive.
>
> Good luck.
>
> At the risk of rubbing salt in a wound, and not at all intending to,
> regardless what happens with this file I suggest the following to people as
> a way to protect against just this sort of thing. "Save early, save often".
> The keyboard combination Ctrl+S allows saving the file just as rapidly as
> typing a capital letter. Get into the Ctrl+S habit at any time you pause
> your editing and there's a great chance of not loosing any work.
>
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 10:36 AM Narissa Hinojosa <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello! I am desperate for help!!
>>
>> I accidentally clicked “don’t save” when editing a document! I have looked
>> everywhere and I can’t find out how to get it back! I went through the
>> steps online of the c:\users\ that brings up the backup file and it’s not
>> in there!
>>
>> Thank you so much for your time!
>>

>> Narissa Hinojosa
>> General Manager
>> phone: 361-883-8712
>> email: [hidden email]
>>
>> The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
>> specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of
>> this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender.
>> If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
>> follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not
>> occur in the future

Re: Unsaved Open Office Writer Document

Brian Barker-2
At 09:14 04/02/2020 -0500, Dan Lewis wrote:
>I[t] sounds like you did not set how you want backup copies to be
>made. If so, Alan is completely right.

Well, yes and no.

The hidden file in the document file's folder with a name that "would
likely start with the ~ character and end with #" (there's no
"likely" about it, and it starts with ".~", in fact) is a lock file
and does not contain the document's text or any part of it. It won't
help anyone if they find it.

>  Check this out:
>
>1) Tools > Options > Openoffice[] > Load/Save > General. (Select
>these one at a time to browse to where you can make changes in making backups.)
>
>2) I check Autorecovery and reduce the number of minutes to 5. With
>this, information about my document is saved every 5 minutes. These
>are saved in the backup folder every 5 minutes. If there is a
>problem like you had, I can open the latest one of these files and
>continue from that point.

This may be good general advice (it is), but - as Alan Bonly says -
it is useful only after failures such as a program crash or power
outage, when the program terminates other than gracefully. This won't
help the questioner, who had a different problem, when she mistakenly
clicked Discard when closing her document. The only possibility here,
I think, is if an automatic back-up facility - such as Windows' File
History - happened to catch the recovery copy in the "backup" folder
during the editing session and before it was deleted.

Brian Barker

>On 2/3/20 10:54 PM, Alan Bonly wrote:
>>Hello Narissa,
>>
>>I think you are out of luck. If OpenOffice or the computer had
>>crashed or if you forced the program to close without saving the
>>document you would be able to find the document per the
>>instructions at the link below.
>>https://smallbusiness.chron.com/recover-unsaved-work-openoffice-29581.html
>>
>>That crash recovery version of the document the instructions direct
>>how to find disappeared whenever the program was closed by clicking
>>the Discard button in every test I tried.
>>
>>One other possibility is look in the directory the file is saved
>>in. Make sure your file browser is set to show hidden files. It is
>>possible a version of the file might still be there. The name would
>>likely start with
>>the ~ character and end with #. The file has a greater chance of
>>being there if it was saved on a network drive instead of the pc's hard drive.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>
>>At the risk of rubbing salt in a wound, and not at all intending
>>to, regardless what happens with this file I suggest the following
>>to people as a way to protect against just this sort of thing.
>>"Save early, save often".
>>The keyboard combination Ctrl+S allows saving the file just as
>>rapidly as typing a capital letter. Get into the Ctrl+S habit at
>>any time you pause your editing and there's a great chance of not
>>loosing any work.
>>
>>On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 10:36 AM Narissa Hinojosa
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello! I am desperate for help!!
>>>
>>>I accidentally clicked "don't save" when editing a document! I
>>>have looked everywhere and I can't find out how to get it back! I
>>>went through the steps online of the c:\users\ that brings up the
>>>backup file and it's not in there!
>>>
>>>Thank you so much for your time!
>>>
>>>Narissa Hinojosa

Re: Unsaved Open Office Writer Document

adambtolbert
Hi you can do some manual steps for getting your unsaved work on open office.

OpenOffice application window > Click the "Tools" menu > click on “Options”
> Click on “plus sign” next to the Load/Save heading > click "General”

Place a check in the “Save AutoRecovery”  Information Every box > Enter a
number next to the Minutes field to indicate how often OpenOffice should
save your document while you work on it > Click ok.

I hope above steps will work for you but still you are not able to get
unsaved data so you may read this blog. Probably it may help you:
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/recover-saved-unsaved-office-files-mac/

--
Sent from: http://openoffice.2283327.n4.nabble.com/Users-f2814619.html