Unwanted Dialogue Box

Alan Pearce-2
Help please!

I am in Open Office Calc and a dialogue box has kept appearing saying "The document you are about to export has one or more protected items with password that cannot be exported. Please retype your password to be able to export your document" I AM NOT TRYING TO EXPORT MY DOCUMENT. WHAT'S MORE IT MUSN'T BE EXPORTED. I have managed to delete it by pressing cancel about 3 times but now the box won't go away however many times I press cancel. Any ideas please?Alan.

Re: Unwanted Dialogue Box

Steven Ahlers
Alan,

What are you trying to do when this dialogue box appears?

Please respond to:
[hidden email]
so that all users can assist you.

> On Oct 21, 2019, at 4:33 AM, Alan Pearce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Help please!
>
> I am in Open Office Calc and a dialogue box has kept appearing saying "The document you are about to export has one or more protected items with password that cannot be exported. Please retype your password to be able to export your document" I AM NOT TRYING TO EXPORT MY DOCUMENT. WHAT'S MORE IT MUSN'T BE EXPORTED. I have managed to delete it by pressing cancel about 3 times but now the box won't go away however many times I press cancel. Any ideas please?Alan.

Re: Unwanted Dialogue Box

Alan Pearce-2
Steven,

Typing into a cell, I was modifying an old document. I didn't note wether it was text or figures, it happened quite a few times over the last two days so I am sure it was probably both , it could have been either. After cancelling about three times each time it appeared it would go away. However in the end it wouldn't stay away and it was not possible to work on it or save it. I got out of the problem in the end by forcing a computer shutdown and then re-opening via recovery. Although I would still like to know why.Regards,Alan.

Re: Unwanted Dialogue Box

Brian Barker-2
At 10:33 21/10/2019 +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:
>I am in Open Office Calc and a dialogue box has kept appearing
>saying "The document you are about to export has one or more
>protected items with password that cannot be exported. Please retype
>your password to be able to export your document" I AM NOT TRYING TO
>EXPORT MY DOCUMENT.

Er, it seems you are. (And you may not need to shout!)

>WHAT'S MORE IT MUSTN'T BE EXPORTED.

What do you think "exported" means here? It just means the creation
of a version of your document in an alternative format, e.g. as
Portable Document Format. Your document isn't being sent anywhere
inappropriate.

>I have managed to delete it by pressing cancel about 3 times but now
>the box won't go away however many times I press cancel. Any ideas please?

It seems that this happens if you are keeping your document in a
format foreign to OpenOffice and when AutoRecovery information is
saved. Are you saving in something other than OpenOffice's native
.ods format - perhaps .xls? That's generally not advisable. It seems
that saving the AutoRecovery information when your document is in a
foreign format is described as "exporting".

If this is the problem, there appear to be a number of solutions:

o Provide the password each time it is asked for.

o Remove the password protection from the relevant items. (Probably
not what you want to do.)

o Disable AutoRecovery. To do this, remove the tick from Tools |
Options... | Load/Save | General | Save | Save AutoRecovery
information every xx Minutes. (Also probably not a good idea.)

o (Best) Save your document as .ods. Keep it in that form and always
edit that copy. If necessary for transmission to a correspondent,
save a copy in the foreign format each time you need to do this. This
is good practice anyway.

At 15:40 21/10/2019 +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:
>Typing into a cell, I was modifying an old document. I didn't note
>wether it was text or figures, it happened quite a few times over
>the last two days so I am sure it was probably both, it could have
>been either. After cancelling about three times each time it
>appeared it would go away. However in the end it wouldn't stay away
>and it was not possible to work on it or save it.

Still sounds like AutoRecovery.

>I got out of the problem in the end by forcing a computer shutdown
>and then re-opening via recovery.

You see how useful this was, so don't disable the facility but use
the first or last suggestions above.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Unwanted Dialogue Box

Alan Pearce-2
Thank you Brian,

I apologise I really wasn't shouting, just emphasising.  Thank you for your suggestions I will look further. It was in .xls and I haven't checked what it recovered as.Regards.Alan.

At 10:33 21/10/2019 +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:>I am in Open Office Calc and a dialogue box has kept appearing >saying "The document you are about to export has one or more >protected items with password that cannot be exported. Please retype >your password to be able to export your document" I AM NOT TRYING TO >EXPORT MY DOCUMENT.Er, it seems you are. (And you may not need to shout!)>WHAT'S MORE IT MUSTN'T BE EXPORTED.What do you think "exported" means here? It just means the creation of a version of your document in an alternative format, e.g. as Portable Document Format. Your document isn't being sent anywhere inappropriate.>I have managed to delete it by pressing cancel about 3 times but now >the box won't go away however many times I press cancel. Any ideas please?It seems that this happens if you are keeping your document in a format foreign to OpenOffice and when AutoRecovery information is saved. Are you saving in something other than OpenOffice's native .ods format - perhaps .xls? That's generally not advisable. It seems that saving the AutoRecovery information when your document is in a foreign format is described as "exporting".If this is the problem, there appear to be a number of solutions:o Provide the password each time it is asked for.o Remove the password protection from the relevant items. (Probably not what you want to do.)o Disable AutoRecovery. To do this, remove the tick from Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save | Save AutoRecovery information every xx Minutes. (Also probably not a good idea.)o (Best) Save your document as .ods. Keep it in that form and always edit that copy. If necessary for transmission to a correspondent, save a copy in the foreign format each time you need to do this. This is good practice anyway.At 15:40 21/10/2019 +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:>Typing into a cell, I was modifying an old document. I didn't note >wether it was text or figures, it happened quite a few times over >the last two days so I am sure it was probably both, it could have >been either. After cancelling about three times each time it >appeared it would go away. However in the end it wouldn't stay away >and it was not possible to work on it or save it.Still sounds like AutoRecovery.>I got out of the problem in the end by forcing a computer shutdown >and then re-opening via recovery.You see how useful this was, so don't disable the facility but use the first or last suggestions above.I trust this helps.Brian Barker---------------------------------------------------------------------To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email] additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Unwanted Dialogue Box

Brian Barker-2
At 17:04 21/10/2019 +0100, Alan Pearce wrote:
>... I apologise I really wasn't shouting, just emphasising.

No probs!

>Thank you for your suggestions I will look further. It was in .xls ...

Good-oh!

Brian Barker