Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

Update Feeds are now online, so all our users get notified about the new
AOO 4.1.5 version.

Download numbers are doing well, we are approaching the first million! [1]

This time *everyone* got a new update notification, even all those 3.x
users. A surprisingly high number of updates comes from there.
I also notified 4.1.4 users quite early, since 4.1.5 fixed regressions
from that version.

The complete process has been monitored in real time with our "Google
Analytics" account.
If anyone is interested in having a closer look, just let me know and I
can give you access.

Kind regards, Matthias

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.5/binaries/stats/timeline?dates=2017-12-30+to+2018-01-08

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Marcus (OOo)
> Update Feeds are now online, so all our users get notified about the new
> AOO 4.1.5 version.

yes, got the note.

> Download numbers are doing well, we are approaching the first million! [1]
>
> This time *everyone* got a new update notification, even all those 3.x
> users. A surprisingly high number of updates comes from there.
> I also notified 4.1.4 users quite early, since 4.1.5 fixed regressions
> from that version.

Hm, do we had notifications for 3.3.x when 4.1.4 (and older) was out?

> The complete process has been monitored in real time with our "Google
> Analytics" account.
> If anyone is interested in having a closer look, just let me know and I
> can give you access.

Thanks for your work.

marcus

Re: Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Matthias Seidel
Am 08.01.2018 um 22:06 schrieb Marcus:

>> Download numbers are doing well, we are approaching the first
>> million! [1]
>>
>> This time *everyone* got a new update notification, even all those 3.x
>> users. A surprisingly high number of updates comes from there.
>> I also notified 4.1.4 users quite early, since 4.1.5 fixed regressions
>> from that version.
>
> Hm, do we had notifications for 3.3.x when 4.1.4 (and older) was out?
Yes, until 2014. [1]
Somehow we stopped notifying our "old" users after 4.1.1 came out.

I always found it irritating that the notification did not mention the
newest available version...

Matthias

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1619698

>> The complete process has been monitored in real time with our "Google
>> Analytics" account.
>> If anyone is interested in having a closer look, just let me know and I
>> can give you access.
>
> Thanks for your work.
>
> marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Andrea Pescetti-2
Matthias Seidel wrote:> Am 08.01.2018 um 22:06 schrieb Marcus:
>> Hm, do we had notifications for 3.3.x when 4.1.4 (and older) was out?
> Yes, until 2014. [1]
> Somehow we stopped notifying our "old" users after 4.1.1 came out.
> I always found it irritating that the notification did not mention the
> newest available version...

There were some reasons for this (for example, support for some
languages had been dropped -in terms of released binaries; sources still
contained, and still contain to date, all translations- with version
3.4); but the real reason was probably laziness combined with the belief
that people who were still on 3.3.x would be few and uninterested in
upgrading. If Google Analytics is showing a different trend, nice to
know it!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Matthias Seidel

> Matthias Seidel wrote:> Am 08.01.2018 um 22:06 schrieb Marcus:
>>> Hm, do we had notifications for 3.3.x when 4.1.4 (and older) was out?
>> Yes, until 2014. [1]
>> Somehow we stopped notifying our "old" users after 4.1.1 came out.
>> I always found it irritating that the notification did not mention the
>> newest available version...
>
> There were some reasons for this (for example, support for some
> languages had been dropped -in terms of released binaries; sources
> still contained, and still contain to date, all translations- with
> version 3.4);
In case of Arabic, this is handled by the script and those users only
get the notification for 3.4.1.

> but the real reason was probably laziness combined with the belief
> that people who were still on 3.3.x would be few and uninterested in
> upgrading. If Google Analytics is showing a different trend, nice to
> know it!

The trend is not a massive one, but there are constantly 3.x upgrades...
Even my brother in law still has OOo 3.3 installed. Well, I will have to
upgrade his version!

Regards, Matthias

BTW: Over 1 million downloads of 4.1.5 now ;-)

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Update Feeds for AOO 4.1.5

Marcus (OOo)

>>> Yes, until 2014. [1]
>>> Somehow we stopped notifying our "old" users after 4.1.1 came out.
>>> I always found it irritating that the notification did not mention the
>>> newest available version...
>>
>> There were some reasons for this (for example, support for some
>> languages had been dropped -in terms of released binaries; sources
>> still contained, and still contain to date, all translations- with
>> version 3.4);
>
> In case of Arabic, this is handled by the script and those users only
> get the notification for 3.4.1.
>
>> but the real reason was probably laziness combined with the belief
>> that people who were still on 3.3.x would be few and uninterested in
>> upgrading. If Google Analytics is showing a different trend, nice to
>> know it!
>
> The trend is not a massive one, but there are constantly 3.x upgrades...
> Even my brother in law still has OOo 3.3 installed. Well, I will have to
> upgrade his version!
>
> Regards, Matthias
>
> BTW: Over 1 million downloads of 4.1.5 now ;-)

the update feeds are very useful for the downloads. E.g.:

2018-01-01,56000,234821090
2018-01-02,120063,234941153

The daily downloads have been more than doubled with this when the
update feed for 4.1.4 was activated on Jan 02nd.

Sure, a logcial consequence. But still interesting to see. ;-)

Marcus