Update notices ??

Kathy DiCecca

Good Morning -

I have been receiving notices almost daily from the email address below:
Is this Open Office ? or fraudulent.
Do you send notices out if updates are made ?

I checked the "update" option yesterday and the program told me I was up to date.
I tried again today and keep getting error messages.

The email addr I am getting notices from is:"Open Office Upgrade" <[hidden email]

Please reply to this email and let me know ASAP.

Thank you
K. DiCecca

Re: Update notices ??

Alexander Thurgood
Le 10/01/11 16:03, Kathy DiCecca a écrit :

Hi Kathy,

> I have been receiving notices almost daily from the email address below:
> Is this Open Office ? or fraudulent.
> Do you send notices out if updates are made ?
>
> I checked the "update" option yesterday and the program told me I was up to date.
> I tried again today and keep getting error messages.
>
> The email addr I am getting notices from is:"Open Office Upgrade" <[hidden email]

This domain is allegedly up for resale, and if you try and visit the
site, you come across a virtually empty website directory, so I would
hasard a guess and say that it is fraudulent. As far as I know, no
e-mail update notifications are sent out by the programme or by Oracle.
As you quite rightly state, you have an update notifier within the
program which automatically tells you whether updates are available
(which hasn't always worked properly in the past, it has to be said, but
nevertheless it is there).

Alex

Re: Update notices ??

Barbara Duprey

On 1/11/2011 2:37 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 10/01/11 16:03, Kathy DiCecca a écrit :
>
> Hi Kathy,
>
>> I have been receiving notices almost daily from the email address below:
>> Is this Open Office ? or fraudulent.
>> Do you send notices out if updates are made ?
>>
>> I checked the "update" option yesterday and the program told me I was up to date.
>> I tried again today and keep getting error messages.
>>
>> The email addr I am getting notices from is:"Open Office Upgrade"<[hidden email]
>>
> This domain is allegedly up for resale, and if you try and visit the
> site, you come across a virtually empty website directory, so I would
> hasard a guess and say that it is fraudulent. As far as I know, no
> e-mail update notifications are sent out by the programme or by Oracle.
> As you quite rightly state, you have an update notifier within the
> program which automatically tells you whether updates are available
> (which hasn't always worked properly in the past, it has to be said, but
> nevertheless it is there).
>

> Alex

There is an e-mail sent out on the [hidden email] list -- what you are getting seems
fraudulent. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the built-in mechanism; updates (actually
replacements) are infrequent and you need not pick them up just because they exist. The update check
does, however, lengthen the startup time for OOo by needing to connect to the site.

Re: Update notices ??

Niklas Nebel-2
On 01/11/11 18:51, Barbara Duprey wrote:
> There is an e-mail sent out on the [hidden email] list -- what
> you are getting seems fraudulent. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the
> built-in mechanism; updates (actually replacements) are infrequent and
> you need not pick them up just because they exist. The update check
> does, however, lengthen the startup time for OOo by needing to connect
> to the site.

The update check is done in the background, startup doesn't wait for it.

Niklas

Re: Update notices ??

RA Brown
On Tue Jan 11 2011 10:59:58 GMT-0800 (PST)  Niklas Nebel wrote:

> On 01/11/11 18:51, Barbara Duprey wrote:
>> There is an e-mail sent out on the [hidden email] list -- what
>> you are getting seems fraudulent. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the
>> built-in mechanism; updates (actually replacements) are infrequent and
>> you need not pick them up just because they exist. The update check
>> does, however, lengthen the startup time for OOo by needing to connect
>> to the site.
>
> The update check is done in the background, startup doesn't wait for it.
>
> Niklas

It is strange that it makes a difference when it is active.

Re: Update notices ??

Jbuswell29
Kathy,
Not sure, I also received a notice from the same address, after I downloaded
open office, but once I sent an empty reply and then confirmed that I wanted
to be part of the discussion forum, I have not received any more emails from
that original address, only emails regarding issues.
Hope this helps,
jessica