Upgrading from V1.5

Hal Johnston
11/24/05
I am a user of Open Office V1.5 and would like to upgrade to v2. Some
software programs let you upgrade by installing over he earlier version
without loss of data and some require the earlier version be deleted
prior to the new version installation. For Open Office v2, must it be
installed in its own program directory, while maintaining v1.5 in its
directory, or can it be downloaded directly over the earlier v1.5. This
may have been referenced in your question and answers, but I could not
find it. Your response to my confusion, will be appreciated. I have used
Microsoft Office but prefer the Open Office Suite. Keep up the good work.
Hal

Re: Upgrading from V1.5

Chris BONDE
From what I have read, and, have done.  Do not 'upgrade' in that you overwrite or
add thereto.  You should create a new clean version.

I have been told to do the same thing with many apps including OSs.  The upgrade
just adds thereto and keeps some of the faults in the original as the complete new
install generally is better.

JMHO

Chris

> 11/24/05
> I am a user of Open Office V1.5 and would like to upgrade to v2. Some
> software programs let you upgrade by installing over he earlier
> version without loss of data and some require the earlier version be
> deleted prior to the new version installation. For Open Office v2,
> must it be installed in its own program directory, while maintaining
> v1.5 in its directory, or can it be downloaded directly over the
> earlier v1.5. This may have been referenced in your question and
> answers, but I could not find it. Your response to my confusion, will
> be appreciated. I have used Microsoft Office but prefer the Open
> Office Suite. Keep up the good work. Hal

Re: Upgrading from V1.5

Cameron Smith-2
Hal Johnston wrote:
> 11/24/05
> I am a user of Open Office V1.5 and would like to
upgrade to v2. Some
> software programs let you upgrade by installing over
he earlier version
> without loss of data and some require the earlier
version be deleted
> prior to the new version installation.

Any Data Files created by Open office (*.sx?) or
Microsoft Documents will remain
untouched by the installation of v2 of Open Office.

> For Open Office v2, must it be
> installed in its own program directory, while
maintaining v1.5 in its
> directory, or can it be downloaded directly over the
earlier v1.5. This
> may have been referenced in your question and
answers, but I could not
> find it.

I would recommend Installing v2 of Open Office in it's
own directory. Because
v2.0 comes as a single installer file rather than an
installer and a lot of
files zipped together as the earlier versions of Open
Office.

Doing the installation this way will not destroy the
Earlier Version, both
Version 1.1.5 (earlier) and v2.0 of Open Office will
operate happily on the same
windows machine (I'm using V2.0 but Have 1.1.5 still
on the machine and they
happily co-exist)

You can uninstall version 1.1.5 after you have v2.0
installed and working properly.

>Your response to my confusion, will be appreciated. I
have used
> Microsoft Office but prefer the Open Office Suite.
Keep up the good work.
> Hal

You may need to re-enter your user settings into v2.0
despite it having a
setting transfer step in the installation and you may
also need to download any
foreign language dictionarys you may use (if you use
languages other than U.S
English) as these also did not seem to transfer
across)

You should be impressed with the good work they did
for v2.0 :)

Cameron Smith

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: Upgrading from V1.5

CPHennessy
On Thu November 24 2005 21:25, + Hal Johnston wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> 11/24/05
> I am a user of Open Office V1.5 and would like to upgrade to v2. Some
> software programs let you upgrade by installing over he earlier version
> without loss of data and some require the earlier version be deleted
> prior to the new version installation. For Open Office v2, must it be
> installed in its own program directory, while maintaining v1.5 in its
> directory, or can it be downloaded directly over the earlier v1.5. This
> may have been referenced in your question and answers, but I could not
> find it. Your response to my confusion, will be appreciated. I have used
> Microsoft Office but prefer the Open Office Suite. Keep up the good work.

The upgrade to OOo 2.0 will offer to import the data from earlier 1.1.x
versions. Obviously you should make a backup just in case.

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ