Upload of 4.1.4-RC5 to SourceForge

Andrea Pescetti-2
I've removed the 4.1.4-RC4 files from the SourceForge distribution area
(not public yet: it is "staged" and only project members can see it).
This is the place where our official binaries are served from.

Instead of waiting for a successful vote, I will gradually upload
4.1.4-RC5 there in the next days (it will still be "staged", not
publicly accessible). This cuts down the waiting time and allows us to
update the download pages any moment after the vote passes.

Of course, should RC5 be rejected I'll simply delete it and repeat.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Upload of 4.1.4-RC5 to SourceForge

Marcus (OOo)

> I've removed the 4.1.4-RC4 files from the SourceForge distribution area
> (not public yet: it is "staged" and only project members can see it).
> This is the place where our official binaries are served from.
>
> Instead of waiting for a successful vote, I will gradually upload
> 4.1.4-RC5 there in the next days (it will still be "staged", not
> publicly accessible). This cuts down the waiting time and allows us to
> update the download pages any moment after the vote passes.
>
> Of course, should RC5 be rejected I'll simply delete it and repeat.

sounds good +1.

Marcus

Re: Upload of 4.1.4-RC5 to SourceForge

Don Lewis-2
On 11 Oct, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> I've removed the 4.1.4-RC4 files from the SourceForge distribution area
> (not public yet: it is "staged" and only project members can see it).
> This is the place where our official binaries are served from.
>
> Instead of waiting for a successful vote, I will gradually upload
> 4.1.4-RC5 there in the next days (it will still be "staged", not
> publicly accessible). This cuts down the waiting time and allows us to
> update the download pages any moment after the vote passes.
>
> Of course, should RC5 be rejected I'll simply delete it and repeat.

That's a good way to reduce the time to the official release, but if we
had done this for RC4, then the release would have been happened before
the latest regression was reported.  That report came in well after the
conclusion of the vote.

Re: Upload of 4.1.4-RC5 to SourceForge

Jim Jagielski
Sounds like a great plan!

On 11/10/2017 Don Lewis wrote:
> That's a good way to reduce the time to the official release, but if we
> had done this for RC4, then the release would have been happened before
> the latest regression was reported.

Yes, the idea is not to give people another opportunity to block the
release! Just joking of course, but indeed -as you noted- the regression
in RC4 didn't probably affect many users. With that one fixed in RC5,
hopefully we don't have major bugs remaining.

On 11/10/2017 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Instead of waiting for a successful vote, I will gradually upload
> 4.1.4-RC5 there in the next days (it will still be "staged", not
> publicly accessible). This cuts down the waiting time and allows us to
> update the download pages any moment after the vote passes.

Our SourceForge area is now updated with files from revision 22458 from
the dev area (this revision includes the rebuilt Linux-64 binaries).

Everything is still staged (unavailable to the public), but we can count
on propagation to mirrors to be completed well in advance of when the
vote will close.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Upload of 4.1.4-RC5 to SourceForge

Jim Jagielski
Perfect! I agree that the fine-tuning, and the in-depth documentation of our
release process, is a Major Good Thing! It will make it much easier for us
to do more frequent and scheduled releases. Thx again for all everyone's
work on this!!

On 13/10/2017 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Our SourceForge area is now updated with files from revision 22458 from
> the dev area (this revision includes the rebuilt Linux-64 binaries).

Now updated again to revision 22553 (this one includes the rebuilt OS X
binaries).

As expected, the only modified files were the .dmg files (SDK, full
install sets, language packs).

> Everything is still staged (unavailable to the public)

...and everything remains staged. A few hours are normally enough for
propagation to mirrors, so this shouldn't cause delays.

Regards,
   Andrea.