Userid and problem

Tony Morrall
Hallo,

I have forgotten what I have for my user id. I tried to enter another,
but the system said that my email address was already registered.

In the meantime, I am having a problem with open office. After computer
start up, I can't open any of my OOO documents. Looking in the Task
Manager, there are soffice.bin and soffice.exec running. If I then
cancel soffice.bin, the documents can be started and all is OK.

The situation is the same with and without preload. And even without
preload not even trying to open any files those soffice modules are in
my Task Manager list.

Thanks in anticipation

Tony Morrall

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Userid and problem

Larryloretta Sherlock
Hi Tony, thanks for your response but soffice isn't my problem. Somehow microsoft has attached their Word to my files which won't allow me to open my files unless I sign up and buy Microsoft Office/Word.

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avg.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb123f207f05e4de975ef08d54924c1fd%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636495344571085052&sdata=v7d%2B79gjnCIKD0CS5mWmWceowjiTeGNtIem0K7YObSY%3D&reserved=0

Re: Userid and problem

Wade Smart-2
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Larryloretta Sherlock
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tony, thanks for your response but soffice isn't my problem. Somehow microsoft has attached their Word to my files which won't allow me to open my files unless I sign up and buy Microsoft Office/Word.

Right click on the file you wish to open, choose Open With and then
find OpenOffice Writer.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Userid and problem

Wade Smart-2
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM, Tony Morrall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have forgotten what I have for my user id. I tried to enter another,
> but the system said that my email address was already registered.
>
> In the meantime, I am having a problem with open office. After computer
> start up, I can't open any of my OOO documents. Looking in the Task
> Manager, there are soffice.bin and soffice.exec running. If I then
> cancel soffice.bin, the documents can be started and all is OK.
>
> The situation is the same with and without preload. And even without
> preload not even trying to open any files those soffice modules are in
> my Task Manager list.
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Tony Morrall

Tony, your userid for ... the mailing list?

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Userid and problem

James Knott
On 12/22/2017 09:01 AM, Larryloretta Sherlock wrote:
> Hi Tony, thanks for your response but soffice isn't my problem. Somehow microsoft has attached their Word to my files which won't allow me to open my files unless I sign up and buy Microsoft Office/Word.

Someone must have installed MS software, hijacking your app
preferences.  You can reset this, but the exact method depends on the
version of Windows you're running.  For example in Windows 10, you go
into PC Settings and select Apps > Default Apps and then click on the
file type, e.g. .doc, and then select the app to use.

Re: Userid and problem

Larryloretta Sherlock
Hi James. You've solved my problem. I have windows 10 and I followed your instructions. Under ODT (open document text), Windows was selected. I changed that to open office writer, now everything works fine now. Thank you so much, you gave me a wonderful Christmas present. Have a Merry Christmas and a great new year. Larry
On 12/22/2017 09:01 AM, Larryloretta Sherlock wrote:
> Hi Tony, thanks for your response but soffice isn't my problem. Somehow microsoft has attached their Word to my files which won't allow me to open my files unless I sign up and buy Microsoft Office/Word.

Someone must have installed MS software, hijacking your app
preferences.  You can reset this, but the exact method depends on the
version of Windows you're running.  For example in Windows 10, you go
into PC Settings and select Apps > Default Apps and then click on the
file type, e.g. .doc, and then select the app to use.

Re: Userid and problem

Martin Groenescheij

On 22/12/17 8:34 PM, Tony Morrall wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have forgotten what I have for my user id. I tried to enter another,
> but the system said that my email address was already registered.
>
> In the meantime, I am having a problem with open office. After computer
> start up, I can't open any of my OOO documents. Looking in the Task
> Manager, there are soffice.bin and soffice.exec running. If I then
> cancel soffice.bin, the documents can be started and all is OK.
>
> The situation is the same with and without preload. And even without
> preload not even trying to open any files those soffice modules are in
> my Task Manager list.

Could you inform us about your Operating System and version as well as
the version of OpenOffice you use?

> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Tony Morrall
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Userid and problem

Hagar Delest-2
For the record, OP has a forum account. Have sent him his username.

Hagar