Using AOO 4.2-dev with Java 11

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello,

I tried to activate Java 11 with my AOO 4.2-dev build. this doesn't
work. I get the message (translated back to English)

The chosen directory dosn't contain a jre. Please choose another directory.

I choose /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/. In this directory ther eis
no one named jre.

It works with /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre.

so there is a need of some corrections for time there is no openjdk-8
anymore.

Kind regards
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Using AOO 4.2-dev with Java 11

Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)
Starting with Java 9 (the same is true for Java 11, just pointing out the first version that may
exhibit this behaviour) there are at least two important changes:

  * modularisation (with the effect that setAccessible() will not work anymore if applied to objects
    from non-exported modules),
      o up to and including Java 8 it was possible to force invocation of methods using
        setAccessible() on all objects (unless an explicit security manager would prohibit this);
        starting with the modularization one cannot pass by this restriction; however, if there are
        access rights in a superclass to the desired method/field/constructor, then using that class
        object's method, field and constructor objects would allow invocation on Java 9 and higher
        as well),

  * no JRE anymore, the JDK (Java development kit) becomes the new JRE (pure Java applications can
    create an adjusted runtime environment starting with Java 9).

---rony

P.S.: For testing various versions of Java on various operating systems a good place to look around
for it would be: <https://adoptOpenJDK.net/>.