Using Open Office 4.1.3 to read Microsoft Works [.wpg] documents

Using Open Office 4.1.3 to read Microsoft Works [.wpg] documents

Joseph Ector
I recently upgraded from Open Office 2.0.4 to version 4.1.3 in hopes
of being able to read saved information in the Microsoft Works [.wpg]
format, but have so far been unable to do so.  I have had no trouble
reading a Works Spreadsheet, however.  I need some help/guidance to be
able to do the same thing against Works Text documents.
Any help would  be greatly appreciated.

Re: Using Open Office 4.1.3 to read Microsoft Works [.wpg] documents

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:23:30 -0500
Joseph Ector <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from Open Office 2.0.4 to version 4.1.3 in hopes
> of being able to read saved information in the Microsoft Works [.wpg]
> format, but have so far been unable to do so.  I have had no trouble
> reading a Works Spreadsheet, however.  I need some help/guidance to be
> able to do the same thing against Works Text documents.
> Any help would  be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> [hidden email]

You could use the free online conversion service at
www.zamzar.com
to convert your Works file(s)

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Using Open Office 4.1.3 to read Microsoft Works [.wpg] documents

Keith N. McKenna
On 3/27/2017 8:23 PM, Joseph Ector wrote:
> I recently upgraded from Open Office 2.0.4 to version 4.1.3 in hopes
> of being able to read saved information in the Microsoft Works [.wpg]
> format, but have so far been unable to do so.  I have had no trouble
> reading a Works Spreadsheet, however.  I need some help/guidance to be
> able to do the same thing against Works Text documents.
> Any help would  be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> [hidden email]

Apache OpenOffice does not support the Works text format. I suspect the
reason you can read the spreadsheet is that the files were created with
later Versions of the Works Suite that used the xlr format for the
spreadsheets. The xlr format is a stripped down version of the xls
binary format that AOO does support.

I believe that LibreOffice may support the Works test and older
spreadsheet formats.

As you are not subscribed to the list I have cc'd your e-mail as a
courtesy. Please reply only to the list and not my personal e-mail.

Regards
Keith McKenna