Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Mashrab Kuvatov-2
Hi all,

I'm the author and maintainer of the Uzbek dictionary for Aspell. I'm going to
work on adding similar dictionary for Hunspell and patches to OpenOffice.org
if needed.

As a starting point I did the following. I downloaded the demo Uzbek Hunspell
dictionary from http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/uz-demo.tar.gz and copied
uz.aff and uz.dic to $OO/share/dict/oo. Then, I symlinked them to uz_UZ.
{aff,dic} and uz-UZ.{aff,dic} and added "DICT uz UZ uz_UZ" line to
dictionary.lst.

In Writer (OO-2), in Tools->Options->Language Settings->Writing Aids Hunspell
language module is checked. If I select it and press Edit button, in "Edit
Modules" dialog in a Language combo I see Uzbek (Latin). But I cannot find
Uzbek (Latin) in Language Settings->Languages->Default languages for document
Western combo.

My question is how to add Uzbek into language list of OpenOffice.org.

Moreover, Uzbek dictionary I produce is for Cyrillic script. So, first I have
to add "Uzbek (Cyrillic)" language into OpenOffice.org and call Hunspell
Uzbek dictionary correspondingly. As far I understood uz_UZ is for Uzbek
(Latin), isn't it? Then, how should Hunspell Uzbek (Cyrillic) dictionary be
called? Corresponding entry in dictionary.list?

Regards,
Mashrab.

Re: Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Rail Aliev
On 15:01, Sat 29.07.06, Mashrab Kuvatov wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm the author and maintainer of the Uzbek dictionary for Aspell. I'm going to
>work on adding similar dictionary for Hunspell and patches to OpenOffice.org
>if needed.
>
>As a starting point I did the following. I downloaded the demo Uzbek Hunspell
>dictionary from http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/uz-demo.tar.gz and copied
>uz.aff and uz.dic to $OO/share/dict/oo. Then, I symlinked them to uz_UZ.
>{aff,dic} and uz-UZ.{aff,dic} and added "DICT uz UZ uz_UZ" line to
>dictionary.lst.
>
>In Writer (OO-2), in Tools->Options->Language Settings->Writing Aids Hunspell
>language module is checked. If I select it and press Edit button, in "Edit
>Modules" dialog in a Language combo I see Uzbek (Latin). But I cannot find
>Uzbek (Latin) in Language Settings->Languages->Default languages for document
>Western combo.
>
>My question is how to add Uzbek into language list of OpenOffice.org.
>
>Moreover, Uzbek dictionary I produce is for Cyrillic script. So, first I have
>to add "Uzbek (Cyrillic)" language into OpenOffice.org and call Hunspell
>Uzbek dictionary correspondingly. As far I understood uz_UZ is for Uzbek
>(Latin), isn't it? Then, how should Hunspell Uzbek (Cyrillic) dictionary be
>called? Corresponding entry in dictionary.list?

I think you need to start L10N process and add full support for Uzbek.
First step is adding Uzbek locale. According
http://l10n.openoffice.org/source/browse/l10n/i18npool/source/localedata/data/
there is no Uzbek locale (uz_UZ.xml).

For detailed information about L10N process see
http://l10n.openoffice.org/ and http://www.khmeros.info/tools/ sites and
subscribe to dev@l10n.

--
Best regards,
Rail Aliev

On 7/29/06, Rail Aliev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you need to start L10N process and add full support for Uzbek.
> First step is adding Uzbek locale. According
> http://l10n.openoffice.org/source/browse/l10n/i18npool/source/localedata/data/
> there is no Uzbek locale (uz_UZ.xml).

Is it all necessary to just add an item for Uzbek (Cyrillic) into a
language combo? At the moment, I don't want to do full localization of
OpenOffice. My focus is an Uzbek dictionary for OpenOffice/Hunspell.

> For detailed information about L10N process see
> http://l10n.openoffice.org/ and http://www.khmeros.info/tools/ sites and
> subscribe to dev@l10n.

At [1] in section 10 it is written that one should add language into
the following files:

i18npool/inc/i18npool/lang.h
i18npool/source/isolang/isolang.cxx
svx/source/dialog/langtab.src

Uzbek (Cyrillic) is already defined in all above files. However, like
I said, it is missing in language combo. Any idea what's going on?

1. http://www.khmeros.info/tools/localization_of_openoffice_2.0.html#DialogBox

Mashrab.

Re: Re: Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Daniel Naber-4
On Sonntag 30 Juli 2006 00:27, Mashrab Kuvatov wrote:

> Uzbek (Cyrillic) is already defined in all above files. However, like
> I said, it is missing in language combo. Any idea what's going on?

Maybe it's only available in the character properties? Select a text, click
right mouse button -> Character. The "Language" list there contains a
different set of languages than the list in the global settings.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

On 7/30/06, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe it's only available in the character properties? Select a text, click
> right mouse button -> Character. The "Language" list there contains a
> different set of languages than the list in the global settings.

Yes, Uzbek (Latin) is in that list. Ctrl+A, right mouse, Character,
select Uzbek (Latin) and then running spellcheck works.

Bug, isn't it?

What shell one put into dictionary.lst so that Uzbek (Cyrillic)
appears in a language list?

On Sonntag 30 Juli 2006 13:37, Mashrab Kuvatov wrote:

> What shell one put into dictionary.lst so that Uzbek (Cyrillic)
> appears in a language list?

You need to use the code of a different language until OOo is modified to
have Uzbek (Cyrillic) in its lists. For the later you need to create an
issue report.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Mashrab Kuvatov-2
On 7/30/06, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to use the code of a different language until OOo is modified to
> have Uzbek (Cyrillic) in its lists. For the later you need to create an
> issue report.

Uzbek (Cyrillic) is in the list, the one in Character context menu.

Mashrab.

Re: Re: Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Дмитрий Габинский
By the way, just out of curiousity: do you (Uzbek) still use Cyrillic? I
thought it was abandoned some ten years ago.

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski
---
Начинайте планировать свой отпуск с посещения
"ВИТРИНЫ ПУТЕШЕСТВИЙ ON-LINE"!
http://vitrina.izrukvruki.by/

On 7/31/06, Dmitri Gabinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, just out of curiousity: do you (Uzbek) still use Cyrillic?

Yes, we still use it. Officially, it is supposed to be Latin, though.

On 7/30/06, Mashrab Kuvatov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uzbek (Cyrillic) is in the list, the one in Character context menu.

There is a spellcheck icon next to Uzbek (Latin), but Uzbek (Cyrillic)
in that list doesn't have such an icon.

On 7/31/06, ?????? <[hidden email]> <"??????????> wrote:

> Mashrab, maybe, it's not the answer to your case, but here's my own
> experience.

Thanks for suggestion.

> DICT ro RO mo_MD
> DICT ro RO ro_RO
>
> (mo_MD was invented by me, it's no actual locale, AFAIK)

If I understood it correctly, the fist and second entry after DICT are
the language and country ISO codes known to OpenOffice. The last entry
is base name for aff and dic files.

In the above case, you are mapping two dictionaries to one language.
In my case, there are two languages and two corresponding
dictionaries. Something like:

DICT uz UZ uz_UZ
DICT uz_cyr UZ uz_cyr_UZ

At the moment, I use the first entry above and get Uzbek (Cyrillic)
spellchecking when selecting Uzbek (Latin) as a language in the
Character context menu. It is confusing for a user.

Mashrab.

Re: Re: Uzbek dict for OpenOffice.org Hunspell

Дмитрий Габинский
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:24:46 +0200, "Mashrab Kuvatov"
<[hidden email]> skribis:

> If I understood it correctly, the fist and second entry after DICT are
> the language and country ISO codes known to OpenOffice. The last entry
> is base name for aff and dic files.

Correct.

> In the above case, you are mapping two dictionaries to one language.
> In my case, there are two languages and two corresponding
> dictionaries. Something like:
>
> DICT uz UZ uz_UZ
> DICT uz_cyr UZ uz_cyr_UZ
>
> At the moment, I use the first entry above and get Uzbek (Cyrillic)
> spellchecking when selecting Uzbek (Latin) as a language in the
> Character context menu. It is confusing for a user.

Well, that's why I said, my solution may not be the answer to you. So, as
suggested in other messages, you probably need to file RFE.

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

---