[VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

12

[VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Marcus (OOo)
End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache
OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year and
until now we have rotated the role every year.

Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by
replying to this thread.

[ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
[ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
[ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)

The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to
give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted
time fitting to your location see here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100

After the vote:
I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the
most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution for
the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be effective
right after that.

PS:
The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will help
the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.

Marcus

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Dave Fisher
Thanks Marcus!
> On Dec 8, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year and until now we have rotated the role every year.
>
> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by replying to this thread.
>

> [X] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
Binding

Regards,
Dave

> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>
> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted time fitting to your location see here:
>
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>
> After the vote:
> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution for the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be effective right after that.
>
> PS:
> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will help the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>
> Marcus

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Andrea Pescetti-2
Marcus wrote:
> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by
> replying to this thread.
> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)

I vote for Carl Marcum (cmarcum), purely due to the nature of the job. I
would prefer to see Peter involved in more "active" roles for the time
being.

As for Carl's skills, he probably understated his role in plugin
releases. In one occasion, Carl was the only developer and Release
Manager and we had to officially release his work. When I had to review
his work, I found it impeccable, on par if not better than our "big"
releases. So I trust that Carl can do a good job with reporting to the
Board and following the ASF processes, which at times are hard to follow
for non-native speakers.

At the cost of repeating myself: my vote is only due to the nature of
this job. Peter is being very helpful in different roles and I trust
Peter's time would be better spent in reviving some of the currently
stagnant areas. Peter has already started doing so in recruitment and
issue handling and his help can be a determinant factor to get more
people involved and to get the many long-time volunteers who have scarce
time (like myself) to better focus their efforts.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Keith N. McKenna
On 12/8/2017 2:53 PM, Marcus wrote:
<snip>

> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by
> replying to this thread.

[X] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
[ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
[ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
<snip>
Keith N. McKenna

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Marcus (OOo)
[X] Peter Kovacs (petko)

Marcus

Am 08.12.2017 um 20:53 schrieb Marcus:

> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by
> replying to this thread.
>
> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>
> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to
> give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted
> time fitting to your location see here:
>
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Jörg Schmidt-2

[x] Peter Kovacs (petko)

(I would have preferred to vote "Abstain", but I _don't_ think that would be helpful.)

Jörg

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Andrea Pescetti [mailto:[hidden email]]

> As for Carl's skills, he probably understated his role in plugin
> releases. In one occasion, Carl was the only developer and Release
> Manager and we had to officially release his work. When I had
> to review
> his work, I found it impeccable, on par if not better than our "big"
> releases. So I trust that Carl can do a good job with
> reporting to the
> Board and following the ASF processes, which at times are
> hard to follow
> for non-native speakers.
>
> At the cost of repeating myself: my vote is only due to the nature of
> this job. Peter is being very helpful in different roles and I trust
> Peter's time would be better spent in reviving some of the currently
> stagnant areas. Peter has already started doing so in recruitment and
> issue handling and his help can be a determinant factor to get more
> people involved and to get the many long-time volunteers who
> have scarce
> time (like myself) to better focus their efforts.

A balanced position that I like well.

Jörg

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Carl Marcum
When I first got in I thought Peter preferred to wait until next year.

However since he is up for it, and my workload is very heavy at the
moment I will bow out and maybe try next year.

Thanks for all who voted for me.

[ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
[X] Peter Kovacs (petko)
[ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Dave Fisher
In light of Carl’s withdrawal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 8, 2017, at 11:59 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Marcus!
>> On Dec 8, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year and until now we have rotated the role every year.
>>
>> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by replying to this thread.
>>

>> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
>

>> [X] Peter Kovacs (petko)

> Binding
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>>
>> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted time fitting to your location see here:
>>
>> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>>
>> After the vote:
>> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution for the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be effective right after that.
>>
>> PS:
>> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will help the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Patricia Shanahan

On 12/8/2017 11:53 AM, Marcus wrote:

> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache
> OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year and
> until now we have rotated the role every year.
>
> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by
> replying to this thread.
>
> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [X] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>
> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to
> give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted
> time fitting to your location see here:
>
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>
> After the vote:
> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the
> most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution for
> the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be effective
> right after that.
>
> PS:
> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will help
> the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>
> Marcus

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

O.Felka

[ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
[X] Peter Kovacs (petko)
[ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)

Best regards,
Olaf

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Peter Kovacs-3
To me a vote with one candidate is a "all In vote". If the vote fails we
are back again at the far more serious questions that we just came away
from.
A vote where I step up not as equal is also not acceptable since it
would be a fake. So if I follow nomination now it have to be a serious
one, now as in future.
When I stepped up I stepped up because no one else did. You stepped up
after I did and I liked it a lot. *thumbsup*
For the final vote we are 2 people now. Which is the minimum of a health
requirement I have.
Who ever get the job this year, the other one will be nominate next
year. Thats good. I totaly agree with Markus: we should make it possible
that the Chair keeps rotating. It is something the PMC can do.
3 Nominates will be awesome, people. Markus says it is doable even with
minimum time. Please watch us and consider your nomination next year!
We all have time issues that will not go away and we have to priorize
what is important to us. And loosing or winning this vote is less
important to me then the health of OpenOffice. I will be active where my
time is needed most, and stubbornly try to work deeper into OpenOffice.
I read Andrea's view with a great delight, I realy liked it.

@List:
Please, copy the vote sheet from below. Make your choice and take a vote.
Every one who is reading this list for what ever reason has the right to
pick a vote.
There is no harm in doing so!

On 09.12.2017 00:11, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Thanks for all who voted for me.
I do believe in you despite the workload we all share. You can do it
with the same dedication I can. :-D
You are very much welcome to get my vote in return.

*Vote Sheet:*
> [x] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [  ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [  ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)

All the Best
Peter

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Gavin McDonald
[X] Peter Kovacs (petko)

Gav…

> On 9 Dec 2017, at 6:53 am, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year and until now we have rotated the role every year.
>
> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote by replying to this thread.
>
> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>
> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC), to give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted time fitting to your location see here:
>
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>
> After the vote:
> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution for the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be effective right after that.
>
> PS:
> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will help the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>
> Marcus

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Jim Jagielski
I had not voted yet, but with the below, my selection process is a lot
easier. I'll also cast by vote to Peter.

> On Dec 8, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Carl Marcum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I first got in I thought Peter preferred to wait until next year.
>
> However since he is up for it, and my workload is very heavy at the moment I will bow out and maybe try next year.
>
> Thanks for all who voted for me.
>
> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
> [X] Peter Kovacs (petko)
> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Matthias Seidel
[x] Peter Kovacs (petko)

Although he is the only candidate now... ;-)

Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Peter Kovacs-3
I do not understand. :(
But isn't the vote then invalid?

Am 13. Dezember 2017 12:09:47 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>[x] Peter Kovacs (petko)
>
>Although he is the only candidate now... ;-)
>
>Regards, Matthias
>

>Am 08.12.2017 um 20:53 schrieb Marcus:
>> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache
>> OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year
>> and until now we have rotated the role every year.
>>
>> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote
>by
>> replying to this thread.
>>
>> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
>> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
>> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>>
>> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC),
>> give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted
>> time fitting to your location see here:
>>

>https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>>
>> After the vote:
>> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the
>> most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution
>> for the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be
>> effective right after that.
>>
>> PS:
>> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will
>help
>> the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Matthias Seidel
I am not sure about the rules, but it is not uncommon that one nominee
resigns and the remaining one gets votes... ;-)

Regards, Matthias

Am 13.12.2017 um 13:29 schrieb Peter kovacs:

> I do not understand. :(
> But isn't the vote then invalid?
>
> Am 13. Dezember 2017 12:09:47 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>> [x] Peter Kovacs (petko)
>>
>> Although he is the only candidate now... ;-)
>>
>> Regards, Matthias
>>

>> Am 08.12.2017 um 20:53 schrieb Marcus:
>>> End of October I wrote that I would like to resign from the Apache
>>> OpenOffice PMC Chair position. I'm the chair a bit more than 1 year
>>> and until now we have rotated the role every year.
>>>
>>> Luckily we have 2 volunteers: Carl and Peter. Therefore please vote
>> by
>>> replying to this thread.
>>>
>>> [ ] Carl Marcum (cmarcum)
>>> [ ] Peter Kovacs (petko)
>>> [ ] Abstain (I cannot/won't choose between them)
>>>
>>> The [VOTE] will close in about 7 days (Fri 15 Dec 2017, 21:00 UTC),
>>> give all PMC members the opportunity to participate. For a converted
>>> time fitting to your location see here:
>>>

>> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100
>>> After the vote:
>>> I will submit a resolution to the Board asking to be replaced by the
>>> most voted of the 2 candidates. The plan is to submit the resolution
>>> for the Board meeting on 20th December 2017, so that it can be
>>> effective right after that.
>>>
>>> PS:
>>> The next board report is due for mid January and of course I will
>> help
>>> the new chair with this but also other chair tasks.
>>>
>>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

[DISCUSS][VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Marcus (OOo)
Maybe not known for everyone, I want to point out the following:

Please use the VOTE thread *only* for voting. For discussions it is best
to open a new [DISCUSS] thread to leave the voting clean from discussion
stuff.

Now back to the question "Why is the vote still going on?":

I don't see a need to cancel the vote as:

1) it is allowed to change your vote as often you want as long as the
vote is still open.

2) we need a "[0] Abstain" way to express, e.g., "I cannot support the
volunteer (due to reason X) but also don't want to vote with -1". With a
lazy consensus instead vote you need to write *in any way* why you don't
want to have the volunteer as chair.

3) the remaining volunteer is still here and willing to take over. So,
what would be the advantage of cancelling this vote and starting a new
vote with only Peter as electable person? ;-)

My 2ct

Marcus

> I am not sure about the rules, but it is not uncommon that one nominee
> resigns and the remaining one gets votes... ;-)
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

> Am 13.12.2017 um 13:29 schrieb Peter kovacs:
>> I do not understand. :(
>> But isn't the vote then invalid?
>>
>> Am 13. Dezember 2017 12:09:47 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>>> [x] Peter Kovacs (petko)
>>>
>>> Although he is the only candidate now... ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

>>> by

>>> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171215T2100

>>> help

Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

Peter Kovacs-3
I am confused. There was no proper " I do not want to candidate anymore mail."
But maybe my English is not good enough.

A one candidate vote is something completely different as between 2+ candidates. Such a step should be well thought of if this is really the right step.

Also I would like to know how do you count votes for Carl if he has resigned, which I doubt.

Not so happy
peter

12