Vista and M$ Office.?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vista and M$ Office.?

James Elliott - WA Rural Computers
There is a lot of hype about Windows Vista and the new M$ Office 2007.  I
went to the Perth launch of both a little while ago, and the promotion
continues with Web casts by Bill Gates, and other media publicity.

Personally, I will be staying with OOo.  However, I have been putting OOo on
the new PC's I sell and offering some free tuition to show the customer that
OOo not only looks and feels like M$ Office, but is actually better.  Now
that Office 2007 is coming bundled with Vista in trial form, I wonder how I
will get on promoting OOo.

I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this matter and I would
also be obliged if anyone can tell me if new features in Office 2007 are
soon to be incorporated into OOo.

Many thanks,  James

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vista and M$ Office.?

Rod Engelsman
On 1/29/07, James Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> There is a lot of hype about Windows Vista and the new M$ Office 2007.  I
> went to the Perth launch of both a little while ago, and the promotion
> continues with Web casts by Bill Gates, and other media publicity.
>
> Personally, I will be staying with OOo.  However, I have been putting OOo
> on
> the new PC's I sell and offering some free tuition to show the customer
> that
> OOo not only looks and feels like M$ Office, but is actually better.  Now
> that Office 2007 is coming bundled with Vista in trial form, I wonder how
> I
> will get on promoting OOo.
>
> I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this matter and I would
> also be obliged if anyone can tell me if new features in Office 2007 are
> soon to be incorporated into OOo.
>
> Many thanks,  James
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

Approximately 95% of the pc's in existence today can't run Vista (or Office
'07 assuming it requires Vista), including every computer I personally own.
MS has stated that they are continuing support for XP through '09 and
security updates for 5 years beyond that.

OO's main competition is MSO 97/2000/XP and I doubt if you are going to see
a mad dash to upgrade for quite a while.

Rod
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vista and M$ Office.?

Paul
In addition, apart from the new look and feel, I don't believe there
are any dramatic differences to functionality in Office 2007.

I actually see that word has finally caught up with writer in the
ability to add digital signatures to documents & export to pdf... Also
there are some other stupid things like "mark as final" - whats the
point of that...

'nuf said .. List of what is new can be found here :
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/getstarted/FX101055081033.aspx

If there is a feature that you want to know whether OOo has, have a look here :
www.openoffice.org

/paul

On 1/31/07, Rod Engelsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/29/07, James Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There is a lot of hype about Windows Vista and the new M$ Office 2007.  I
> > went to the Perth launch of both a little while ago, and the promotion
> > continues with Web casts by Bill Gates, and other media publicity.
> >
> > Personally, I will be staying with OOo.  However, I have been putting OOo
> > on
> > the new PC's I sell and offering some free tuition to show the customer
> > that
> > OOo not only looks and feels like M$ Office, but is actually better.  Now
> > that Office 2007 is coming bundled with Vista in trial form, I wonder how
> > I
> > will get on promoting OOo.
> >
> > I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this matter and I would
> > also be obliged if anyone can tell me if new features in Office 2007 are
> > soon to be incorporated into OOo.
> >
> > Many thanks,  James
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
> Approximately 95% of the pc's in existence today can't run Vista (or Office
> '07 assuming it requires Vista), including every computer I personally own.
> MS has stated that they are continuing support for XP through '09 and
> security updates for 5 years beyond that.
>
> OO's main competition is MSO 97/2000/XP and I doubt if you are going to see
> a mad dash to upgrade for quite a while.
>
> Rod
>
>


--
Try Torpark; a small portable, open-source, built on Firefox browser
that enables anonymous browsing. Requires no installation :
http://www.torrify.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vista and M$ Office.?

Alberto Restuccia
In reply to this post by Rod Engelsman
I have a question: does Open Office include a software for cresating
Internet sites?


Thanks in advance

Alberto




----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Engelsman" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [social] Vista and M$ Office.?


> On 1/29/07, James Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There is a lot of hype about Windows Vista and the new M$ Office 2007.  I
>> went to the Perth launch of both a little while ago, and the promotion
>> continues with Web casts by Bill Gates, and other media publicity.
>>
>> Personally, I will be staying with OOo.  However, I have been putting OOo
>> on
>> the new PC's I sell and offering some free tuition to show the customer
>> that
>> OOo not only looks and feels like M$ Office, but is actually better.  Now
>> that Office 2007 is coming bundled with Vista in trial form, I wonder how
>> I
>> will get on promoting OOo.
>>
>> I would like to hear your comments and thoughts on this matter and I
>> would
>> also be obliged if anyone can tell me if new features in Office 2007 are
>> soon to be incorporated into OOo.
>>
>> Many thanks,  James
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
> Approximately 95% of the pc's in existence today can't run Vista (or
> Office
> '07 assuming it requires Vista), including every computer I personally
> own.
> MS has stated that they are continuing support for XP through '09 and
> security updates for 5 years beyond that.
>
> OO's main competition is MSO 97/2000/XP and I doubt if you are going to
> see
> a mad dash to upgrade for quite a while.
>
> Rod
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vista and M$ Office.?

Sigrid Kronenberger-2
Hi Alberto,

Am Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:31:35 +0100
schrieb "Alberto Restuccia" <[hidden email]>:

> I have a question: does Open Office include a software for cresating
> Internet sites?

Yes, it does. It's called "Writer:Web".
But my advice is, that you use something different for creating
websites, because - afaik - this module isn't developed any longer. And
it's only suitable for people, who know about html.

You can use nvu (based on the mozilla composer) or the seamonkey suite.
As far as I know, those two projects are still under development and
are quite good. Both are opensource software.

HTH

Sigrid

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vista and M$ Office.?

Alberto Restuccia
Hi Sigrid,


vielen Dank, ich setz' mich auf die Suche!

Tschuess


Alberto




----- Original Message -----
From: "Sigrid Kronenberger" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [social] Vista and M$ Office.?


> Hi Alberto,
>
> Am Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:31:35 +0100
> schrieb "Alberto Restuccia" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I have a question: does Open Office include a software for cresating
>> Internet sites?
>
> Yes, it does. It's called "Writer:Web".
> But my advice is, that you use something different for creating
> websites, because - afaik - this module isn't developed any longer. And
> it's only suitable for people, who know about html.
>
> You can use nvu (based on the mozilla composer) or the seamonkey suite.
> As far as I know, those two projects are still under development and
> are quite good. Both are opensource software.
>
> HTH
>
> Sigrid
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]