Vowel marks

Andre Ryland
Help please.
How do I put vowel pronunciation marks for short and long vowels over a word?
thank you,
Andre

Re: Vowel marks

Craig Russell-2
Hi,

There are two ways:

Your operating system's keyboard may allow you to enter special characters; e.g. with MacOSX you hold down the vowel or other key and you get a menu of possible marks to use.

OpenOffice has an Insert... Special Character... on the menu that gives you a matrix of hundreds of special characters that you can use.

HTH,
Craig

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 3:08 PM, Andre Ryland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Help please.
> How do I put vowel pronunciation marks for short and long vowels over a word?
> thank you,
> Andre

Craig L Russell

Re: Vowel marks

Beregond
On 2020-08-20 00:08, Andre Ryland wrote:

> How do I put vowel pronunciation marks for short and long vowels over a word?

    Assuming that the marks you are thinking of are, respectively,
breve and macron: immediately after typing the vowel, insert a
combining breve (U+0306) or a combining macron (U+0304) -- you can
do this with "Insert" and then "Special character".
    If the result is ugly (for instance, the dot on _i_ may not
disappear to give way for the length mark), find the relevant
precomposed glyph; they seem to lodge in the range U+0100 to
U+0160.

       Kind regards,

           Anders Stenström

Re: Vowel marks