[WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

[WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Kay Schenk-2
I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file is
available.

This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:

Options +Includes +MultiViews

to this:

Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes

tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links to
the files.

Yes? no? thoughts?

MzK

"Ring out the false, ring in the true."
 -- poem "In Memoriam", Alfred Lord Tennyson

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Matthias Seidel
+1 from me

This would solve the problem on this page:
https://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/

Regards,

    Matthias

Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
> to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file is
> available.
>
> This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
>
> Options +Includes +MultiViews
>
> to this:
>
> Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
>
> tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
> files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links to
> the files.
>
> Yes? no? thoughts?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Marcus (OOo)
Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
> to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file is
> available.
>
> This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
>
> Options +Includes +MultiViews
>
> to this:
>
> Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
>
> tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
> files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links to
> the files.

I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this [1].

> Yes? no? thoughts?

Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
directories only?

If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
the way we should go.

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-the-htaccess-options-indexes-for

Marcus

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 15:44 Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> > I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
> > to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file
> is
> > available.
> >
> > This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
> >
> > Options +Includes +MultiViews
> >
> > to this:
> >
> > Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
> >
> > tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
> > files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links
> > the files.
>
> I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
> [1].
>
> > Yes? no? thoughts?
>
> Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
> directories only?

Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety through
browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
from that.

> If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
> any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
> the way we should go.

OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
needed?

> [1]
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-the-htaccess-options-indexes-for
>
> Marcus

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Dave Fisher
+1. While it would be nice format it and we probably could your approach is fine for now.

I’m curious but not enough yet to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 from me
>
> This would solve the problem on this page:
> https://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/aoo-working/
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
>> to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file is
>> available.
>>
>> This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
>>
>> Options +Includes +MultiViews
>>
>> to this:
>>
>> Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
>>
>> tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
>> files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links to
>> the files.
>>
>> Yes? no? thoughts?

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Dave Fisher
I’m thinking you should make the change then we look on staging and revert if we don’t approve.

It’s a quick test if inadvertently published it’s not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Kay Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 15:44 Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>> I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
>>> to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file
>> is
>>> available.
>>>
>>> This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
>>>
>>> Options +Includes +MultiViews
>>>
>>> to this:
>>>
>>> Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
>>>
>>> tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
>>> files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links
>>> the files.
>>
>> I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
>> [1].
>>
>>> Yes? no? thoughts?
>>
>> Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
>> directories only?
>>

> Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
> link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety through
> browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
> from that.
>

>> If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
>> any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
>> the way we should go.
>>

> OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
> needed?
>

>> [1]
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-the-htaccess-options-indexes-for
>>
>> Marcus

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Kay Schenk-2
Hi Dave --
If no one else chimes in, I will do this later today. This will effect
areas like:

http://www.openoffice.org/promotions/

which has no index.html file. Of course, there exist many subdirectories
under the main website tree that have no "index.html" file and are
presumably linked in by something.

My current dilemma involves having to upload over 500 QA manual test cases
into an area. It would be far more convenient to just let them go to "list
mode" if you will rather than creating an index file for them, especially
since I'm fairly certain, we may not want to keep/use all of them.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m thinking you should make the change then we look on staging and revert
> if we don’t approve.
>
> It’s a quick test if inadvertently published it’s not a big deal.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> file
> >> is

> depositing
> links
> >>
> >> I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
> >> [1].

> >> Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
> >> directories only?
> >>

> > Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
> > link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety
> through
> > browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
> > from that.
> >

> >> If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
> >> any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
> >> the way we should go.
> >>

> > OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
> > needed?
> >

> >> [1]
> >>
> >> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-
> the-htaccess-options-indexes-for
> >>
> >> Marcus

MzK

"Less is MORE."

Am 28.03.2018 um 03:08 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 15:44 Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>> I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
>>> to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file
>> is
>>> available.
>>>
>>> This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:
>>>
>>> Options +Includes +MultiViews
>>>
>>> to this:
>>>
>>> Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes
>>>
>>> tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
>>> files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links
>>> the files.
>>
>> I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
>> [1].
>>
>>> Yes? no? thoughts?
>>
>> Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
>> directories only?
>>

> Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
> link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety through
> browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
> from that.
>

>> If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
>> any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
>> the way we should go.
>>

> OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
> needed?

that would be OK. Even when I think it would be better to add an index
file than to allow browsing the file directory.

Am 28.03.2018 um 08:34 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> I’m thinking you should make the change then we look on staging and revert if we don’t approve.
>
> It’s a quick test if inadvertently published it’s not a big deal.

do you need the test to see how it looks like? I think we all can
imagine how a directory looks like in a browser, right? ;-)

Marcus

>>> is

>>> I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
>>> [1].

>>> Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
>>> directories only?
>>>

>> Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
>> link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety through
>> browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
>> from that.
>>

>>> If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
>>> any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
>>> the way we should go.
>>>

>> OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
>> needed?
>>

>>> [1]
>>>
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-the-htaccess-options-indexes-for
>>>
>>> Marcus

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Dave Fisher

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 28.03.2018 um 08:34 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> I’m thinking you should make the change then we look on staging and revert if we don’t approve.
>> It’s a quick test if inadvertently published it’s not a big deal.
>
> do you need the test to see how it looks like? I think we all can imagine how a directory looks like in a browser, right? ;-)

We can imagine it, but it would be good to see it once.

Regards,
Dave

Am 28.03.2018 um 19:11 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> If no one else chimes in, I will do this later today. This will effect
> areas like:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/promotions/
>
> which has no index.html file. Of course, there exist many subdirectories
> under the main website tree that have no "index.html" file and are
> presumably linked in by something.
>
> My current dilemma involves having to upload over 500 QA manual test cases
> into an area. It would be far more convenient to just let them go to "list
> mode" if you will rather than creating an index file for them, especially
> since I'm fairly certain, we may not want to keep/use all of them.

ah, now it's clear. :-) OK it's a pain to create 500+ links in a HTML
file which are also different to each other.

So, yes, here it can make sense to alow to browse the directory directly
and it would be fine for me.

But I'm totally -1 to allow this for every directory and globally.

Yes, we are open source, but this doesn't mean we need to make
everything open to everyone. When something is needed it's allowed to
ask for it. ;-)

Marcus

Am 28.03.2018 um 08:29 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> +1. While it would be nice format it and we probably could your approach is fine for now.
>
> I’m curious but not enough yet to scratch.

OK, when you put it already into voting style then I've to say my -1 to
open up the website globally.

But I can give you my +1 for selected, single directories. Kay has given
an example (or better the real background ;-) ) in another mail.

Marcus

Am 28.03.2018 um 20:54 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> On Mar 28, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 28.03.2018 um 08:34 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> I’m thinking you should make the change then we look on staging and revert if we don’t approve.
>>> It’s a quick test if inadvertently published it’s not a big deal.
>> do you need the test to see how it looks like? I think we all can imagine how a directory looks like in a browser, right? ;-)
> We can imagine it, but it would be good to see it once.

The standard directory view of an Apache HTTP Server looks quite
"simple" but it can be tweaked a lot through the .htaccess file.

I think we could place it in some selected areas. Worth a try!

Regards, Matthias

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Kay Schenk-2
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Am 28.03.2018 um 20:54 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> do you need the test to see how it looks like? I think we all can
>>> imagine how a directory looks like in a browser, right? ;-)
>>>
>> We can imagine it, but it would be good to see it once.
>>

> The standard directory view of an Apache HTTP Server looks quite "simple"
> but it can be tweaked a lot through the .htaccess file.
>
> I think we could place it in some selected areas. Worth a try!
>
> Regards, Matthias

​Yes, the per directory .htaccess file idea works for me. I've used it
before in servers outside of the ASF.
So, let's just got with that idea.​

​Thanks to all for listening and helping with this. :)

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Marcus

MzK

"Less is MORE."

Re: [WEBSITE] Adding +Indexes option to .htaccess

Kay Schenk-2
Hi all--
The option of adding a +Indexes option to a per directory .htaccess file
worked about one day for the QA test case scenario, and then it didn't.
Infra has made changes to our web VMs and this should work now. I had
already fixed the QA test case page with an actual index.html page when
I got this message, but other areas needing this -- like the art area --
could certainly try out the local .htaccess file approach.

Good luck!