WebDAV over HTTPS

Robert Vojta
Hallo all,

we are using WebDAV feature a lot in the OpenOffice.org suite. What we
are missing is HTTPS support. I found an issue about HTTPS and WebDAV
(#i32935#). Latest comment (excluding comments from end users) is from
tm on Aug 13 2004. Comment is:

TM->BH: We don´t support HTTPS. So this is not a defect but might be a wish for
an enhancement. Please have a look.

Latest stable release doesn't support WebDAV over HTTPS - it produces
an error message. If there is no HTTPS support, it should raise far
better message (it's already reported). I didn't check this in latest
development releases, but I guess still no support for HTTPS.

I would like to ask if anyone is working on HTTPS support? If yes, is
there a place where I can help (testing, ...)? If no one is working on
HTTPS support, I would like to implement it - any comments, hints,
...?

Best regards,
Robert

P.S. BTW the right project for this discussion is UCB or Framework?
Asking, because mentioned issue is assigned to Framework project.

Robert Vojta

Re: WebDAV over HTTPS

Kai Sommerfeld
Hi Robert,

Robert Vojta wrote:

> Hallo all,
>
> we are using WebDAV feature a lot in the OpenOffice.org suite. What we
> are missing is HTTPS support. I found an issue about HTTPS and WebDAV
> (#i32935#). Latest comment (excluding comments from end users) is from
> tm on Aug 13 2004. Comment is:
>
> TM->BH: We don´t support HTTPS. So this is not a defect but might be a
> wish for
> an enhancement. Please have a look.
>
> Latest stable release doesn't support WebDAV over HTTPS - it produces
> an error message. If there is no HTTPS support, it should raise far
> better message (it's already reported). I didn't check this in latest
> development releases, but I guess still no support for HTTPS.
>
> I would like to ask if anyone is working on HTTPS support? If yes, is
 AFAIK nobody is working on HTTPS support at the moment. It is still on
SUN's todo list, but priority is not high.

> there a place where I can help (testing, ...)? If no one is working on
> HTTPS support, I would like to implement it - any comments, hints,
> ...?
 That's good news!

 OOo's WebDAV support is implemented using neon
(http://www.webdav.org/neon/). Neon already offers HTTPS support. ATM,
OOo uses a self-built neon version that is configured not to support
HTTPS (mainly for historical reasons).

 Here are some ideas for the steps necessary to provide HTTPS support
for OOo:

 First, enable neon's HTTPS support. You need OpenSSL for this, which is
not part of OOo at the moment (I think).

 Next, there might be necessary some adaptions in the WebDAV-UCP itself.
(certificate management callbacks...)

 Additionally, you need to register the WebDAV-UCP for HTTPS (in
<ooinst-dir>/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/UCB/Configuration.xcu

 There might be code pieces in the upper layers of OOo that check URL
protocls against "http", but not "https". Those must be found and corrected.

 Last, you need to implement a User Interface for Certificate Management.

 The "interting" code can be found here:
/external/neon (neon)
/ucb/ucb/source/ucp/webdav (WebDAV-UCP)
/util/officecfg (for the xcu file)

> P.S. BTW the right project for this discussion is UCB or Framework?
> Asking, because mentioned issue is assigned to Framework project.
 Yes, UCB is the correct list.

 Feel free to ask in case you have further questions.

 Regards,
Kai.

Re: WebDAV over HTTPS

Robert Vojta
On 11/20/06, Kai Sommerfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hallo Kai,

thanks for your fast reply. I made a quick test to see what works and
what not and here is my short summary.

For my test, I did these modifications:

 - https support in Configuration.xcu file
 - SSL Certification Verification callback in NeonSession.cxx (quick
hack, always trust)

Test was done on my Linux machine with system neon library (already
supports SSL).

WebDAV, HTTPS, Anonymous access

 - can browse files, directories
 - can save files
 - can't open already saved file [1]

WebDAV, HTTPS, Username and password needed

 - Generic internet error - nothing works [2]

[1] Can't open them even with HTTP access
[2] Works with HTTP only - dialog with username & password appears

Basically, we can say, that HTTPS works, but needs to be polished.

For now, I'll try to analyze everything about WebDAV support and I'll
try to create roadmap for WebDAV polishing (more friendly OO.o
dialogs, ...) and HTTPS support.

Regards,
Robert

--
Robert Vojta

Re: WebDAV over HTTPS

Robert Vojta
On 11/20/06, Robert Vojta <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  - can't open already saved file [1]

This is already solved - it was badly configured WebDAV server on my side.

--
Robert Vojta

Re: WebDAV over HTTPS

Kai Sommerfeld
Hi Robert,

Robert Vojta wrote:

> On 11/20/06, Kai Sommerfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hallo Kai,
>
> thanks for your fast reply. I made a quick test to see what works and
> what not and here is my short summary.
>
> For my test, I did these modifications:
>
> - https support in Configuration.xcu file
> - SSL Certification Verification callback in NeonSession.cxx (quick
> hack, always trust)
 This is exactly what I did some time ago... ;-)

> Test was done on my Linux machine with system neon library (already
> supports SSL).
 I tried on Windows.

> WebDAV, HTTPS, Anonymous access
>
> - can browse files, directories
> - can save files
> - can't open already saved file [1]
>
> WebDAV, HTTPS, Username and password needed
>
> - Generic internet error - nothing works [2]
>
> [1] Can't open them even with HTTP access
> [2] Works with HTTP only - dialog with username & password appears
>
> Basically, we can say, that HTTPS works, but needs to be polished.
 Yes. This is also the result of my former quick investigations.

> For now, I'll try to analyze everything about WebDAV support and I'll
> try to create roadmap for WebDAV polishing (more friendly OO.o
> dialogs, ...) and HTTPS support.
 Cool! Your contributions are greatly appreciated. Don't hesitate to ask
your questions.

- Kai.

Re: WebDAV over HTTPS

Kai Sommerfeld

Robert Vojta wrote:
> On 11/20/06, Robert Vojta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  - can't open already saved file [1]
>
> This is already solved - it was badly configured WebDAV server on my side.
 Good!

- Kai.