WebDAV support as an extension

Robert Vojta
Hallo,

as we all know, OpenOffice.org code base is so huge and it's a big
entry barrier for new people. From this point of view, extensions
project seems to be very important step. AFAIK version 2.0.4 supports
installation of extensions during native setup / installation (maybe
I'm wrong and this feature will be introduced in 2.1 - important fact
is, that we have this feature already).

What do you think about WebDAV support as an extension? Are you
newbie? Do you want to help? Great, download SDK and work on WebDAV
only. Do not bother with the whole tree compilation, ... NetBeans
approach is a very nice example of how to do this.

Does Sun have plan in this area?

Regards,
Robert

--
Robert Vojta

Re: WebDAV support as an extension

Kai Sommerfeld
Hi Robert,

Robert Vojta wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> as we all know, OpenOffice.org code base is so huge and it's a big
> entry barrier for new people. From this point of view, extensions
> project seems to be very important step. AFAIK version 2.0.4 supports
> installation of extensions during native setup / installation (maybe
> I'm wrong and this feature will be introduced in 2.1 - important fact
> is, that we have this feature already).
 This will be first officially available in 2.2. We missed the feature
deadline for 2.1.

> What do you think about WebDAV support as an extension? Are you
> newbie? Do you want to help? Great, download SDK and work on WebDAV
> only. Do not bother with the whole tree compilation, ... NetBeans
> approach is a very nice example of how to do this.
 Glad you're asking. Why? Because the developer team I'm responsible for
is, among other things like UNO and the API, responsible for all the
extension infrastructure enhancements SUN is currently implementing. :-)

 Our vision: OOo = UNO Runtime Environment (URE) + extensions

 Therefore, IMO it is always a good idea to enhance the modularity of
OOo. Thus, turning non-core OOo stuff that is not an extension into an
extension is always a good thing to do.

> Does Sun have plan in this area?
 No concrete plans to turn WebDAV support into an extension.

- Kai.

Re: WebDAV support as an extension

Robert Vojta
On 11/23/06, Kai Sommerfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hallo Kai,

>  Glad you're asking. Why? Because the developer team I'm responsible for
> is, among other things like UNO and the API, responsible for all the
> extension infrastructure enhancements SUN is currently implementing. :-)
>
>  Our vision: OOo = UNO Runtime Environment (URE) + extensions

great ... So, let's start ... I decided to fix some issues in current
WebDAV content provider, but I'll be working on external WebDAV
support (= extension) too. I can take attention from more developers
and after that, we can remove neon from source code tree.

 - < 2.2 - WebDAV - internally supported
 - >= 2.2 - WebDAV - supported by module

I just hope, that the whole infrastructure (for modules) will be
prepared in 2.2 time.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Vojta wrote:

> On 11/23/06, Kai Sommerfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hallo Kai,
>
>>  Glad you're asking. Why? Because the developer team I'm responsible for
>> is, among other things like UNO and the API, responsible for all the
>> extension infrastructure enhancements SUN is currently implementing. :-)
>>
>>  Our vision: OOo = UNO Runtime Environment (URE) + extensions
>
> great ... So, let's start ... I decided to fix some issues in current
 I've already ssen your bug reviewing activities. Good work.

> WebDAV content provider, but I'll be working on external WebDAV
> support (= extension) too. I can take attention from more developers
> and after that, we can remove neon from source code tree.
 I must confessed that I'm a little bit confused now.

 Why do you plan to remove neon from the source tree? My unterstanding
is to have everything in the OOo CVS and just to change the way the
WebDAV content provider gets packaged and installed, not that in future
WebDAV support must be installed from 'somewhere'. IMO, it is important
that each standard OOo installation set will contain WebDAV support out
of the 'box' and that the deafult (like today) is that this WebDAV
support gets installed by default.

 Well, it makes sense to have a configure switch (like we have already)
to enable usage of system neon (and ssl), but it also must be possible
to build a self-contained OOo where neon and ssl libs are part of the
OOo installation set (or later, the WebDAV extension) itself.

 Today the ucpdav shared library contains everything needed for WebDAV
and gets installed as part of the 'huge' OOo main package. Later, the
WebDAV extension could contain the content provider code, the neon code
and the openssl code as shared libaries. Additioanlly an xcu file would
be part of the extension package. The packge would be installed together
with OO.o.

> - < 2.2 - WebDAV - internally supported
> - >= 2.2 - WebDAV - supported by module
>
> I just hope, that the whole infrastructure (for modules) will be
> prepared in 2.2 time.

 I think it is the best way to first enhance the _existing_ WebDAV
implementation. If this is done (means, HTTPS is fully implemented,
including cerificate management), we can go ahead and repackage the
binaries (yes, making it an extension is basically just repackaging) in
a second step. Step 1 is really very important, because missing HTTPS
support is an issue that has been reported by many OOo users already.
Repackaging is just 'sugar'.

- Kai.

Re: WebDAV support as an extension

Robert Vojta
On 11/27/06, Kai Sommerfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hallo Kai,

>  I must confessed that I'm a little bit confused now.

I do not want to remove neon now ... For now, I would like to add
openssl, https support, ssl certificates management and enable master
password feature again. After that, I would like to 'remove' these
things and make them available as an OXT package. Step 2 is future -
>= 2.2 or later.

Sorry to confuse you ;-)

Regards,
Robert