[Website] Format of links

Matthias Seidel
Hello all,

I am completing the translation of the Korean download page:
https://www.openoffice.org/ko/download/index.html

Some of the links are underlined. This totally breaks the readability
especially for Asian languages.

My idea would be:
Underlines should only be visible if the mouse is hovering over the link.

What's your opinion?

Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Website] Format of links

Peter Kovacs-3
Maybe we should in general replace underlying with abuttonlike approach?
Like a slight different colour from the rest of the box where the link is placed.

But I am no got at UI design.

The Korean government side does not have any link underlining. So that looks like it it not needed if the context assumed I can click this.

Am 22. Juli 2017 23:30:00 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hello all,
>
>I am completing the translation of the Korean download page:
>https://www.openoffice.org/ko/download/index.html
>
>Some of the links are underlined. This totally breaks the readability
>especially for Asian languages.
>
>My idea would be:
>Underlines should only be visible if the mouse is hovering over the
>link.
>
>What's your opinion?
>
>Regards, Matthias

Re: [Website] Format of links

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Peter kovacs [mailto:[hidden email]]

> Maybe we should in general replace underlying with
> abuttonlike approach?
> Like a slight different colour from the rest of the box where
> the link is placed.

This proposal concerns 'a detail of a detail'. There is nothing specifically against it, but this kind of marking is not possible for all links, but only for links which are in a box.

Only if a link is in a box, it can be solved. The person who edited the website should decide in the individual case.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [Website] Format of links

Jörg Schmidt-2

+1

I do not think that is so important, but yes, do it.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [Website] Format of links

Matthias Seidel

For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)

In general, all languages with characters that have descenders are barely readable:

g j ç ą ę ļ -> g j ç ą ę ļ

Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Website] Format of links

Peter Kovacs-3
Is he a application or a person?

Am 23. Juli 2017 10:40:26 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)
>
>In general, all languages with characters that have descenders are
>barely readable:
>
>g j ç ą ę ļ -> _g j ç ą ę ļ_
>
>Matthias

Re: [Website] Format of links

Matthias Seidel
She is a native speaker and did the translation for the Korean page over
the last month.

I just update the HTML... ;-)

Matthias

Am 23.07.2017 um 10:42 schrieb Peter kovacs:

> Is he a application or a person?
>
> Am 23. Juli 2017 10:40:26 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>> For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)
>>
>> In general, all languages with characters that have descenders are
>> barely readable:
>>
>> g j ç ą ę ļ -> _g j ç ą ę ļ_
>>
>> Matthias

Well then he'd the expert. Go for it :)

Am 23. Juli 2017 10:45:50 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>She is a native speaker and did the translation for the Korean page
>over
>the last month.
>
>I just update the HTML... ;-)
>
>Matthias
>

>Am 23.07.2017 um 10:42 schrieb Peter kovacs:
>> Is he a application or a person?
>>
>> Am 23. Juli 2017 10:40:26 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel
><[hidden email]>:
>>> For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)
>>>
>>> In general, all languages with characters that have descenders are
>>> barely readable:
>>>
>>> g j ç ą ę ļ -> _g j ç ą ę ļ_
>>>
>>> Matthias

Re: [Website] Format of links

Peter Kovacs-3
I am sorry my phone keeps correcting... she into he...
Grrr

Am 23. Juli 2017 10:49:07 MESZ schrieb Peter kovacs <[hidden email]>:

>Well then he'd the expert. Go for it :)
>
>Am 23. Juli 2017 10:45:50 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel
><[hidden email]>:
>>She is a native speaker and did the translation for the Korean page
>>over
>>the last month.
>>
>>I just update the HTML... ;-)
>>
>>Matthias
>>

>>Am 23.07.2017 um 10:42 schrieb Peter kovacs:
>>> Is he a application or a person?

Re: [Website] Format of links

Jörg Schmidt-2
From: Matthias Seidel [mailto:[hidden email]]

> For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)

> In general, all languages with characters that have
> descenders are barely readable:

> g j ç ą ę ļ -> g j ç ą ę ļ

OK, now I understand that the question specifically related to the Korean website. I had previously believed them to be generally meant.

But a general word:
I believe that every one of us, who works on the website, can decide such details himself - without which he later gets criticism.

formally:
please use "Lazy Consensus":
https://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html

imho: In cases like this, Lazy Consensus is more efficient than a discussion.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [Website] Format of links

Matthias Seidel
Am 23.07.2017 um 11:31 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> From: Matthias Seidel [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
>> For my Korean translator it is important... ;-)
>> In general, all languages with characters that have
>> descenders are barely readable:
>> g j ç ą ę ļ -> g j ç ą ę ļ
> OK, now I understand that the question specifically related to the Korean website. I had previously believed them to be generally meant.

As I wrote above it is meant generally: Polish, Lithuanian, Korean,
Chinese and even German... All languages with lower descender.
(It was formatted in HTML, maybe you couldn't see the difference)

> But a general word:
> I believe that every one of us, who works on the website, can decide such details himself - without which he later gets criticism.
>
> formally:
> please use "Lazy Consensus":
> https://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html
>
> imho: In cases like this, Lazy Consensus is more efficient than a discussion.
Normally I wouldn't discuss it, since I am (almost) the only one working
on the website... ;-)
But in this case the change would be for the whole site (and for
openoffice.apache.org) to maintain a unique "look & feel".

Matthias