Website Migrations

12

Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

It’s time to start the process of migrating two of our websites from the deprecated Apache CMS to a new method of building. This will be a major undertaking and there are several goals.

The sites are:
https://openoffice.apache.org/
https://www.openoffice.org/

We have a CWiki page for planning at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations>

We have empty Git repos:
https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org

The request is in to rename the “master” branch to “trunk”. These repositories are currently empty.

If someone has a “modern” design paradigm to suggest now is the time.

If someone has suggestions for content to eliminate or move now is the time.

I’d prefer to work out new site build mechanics on the project site first.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Website Migrations

Patricia Shanahan
On 7/11/2020 11:48 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi -
>
> It’s time to start the process of migrating two of our websites from the deprecated Apache CMS to a new method of building. This will be a major undertaking and there are several goals.
>
> The sites are:
> https://openoffice.apache.org/
> https://www.openoffice.org/
>
> We have a CWiki page for planning at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations>
>
> We have empty Git repos:
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org
>
> The request is in to rename the “master” branch to “trunk”. These repositories are currently empty.
>
> If someone has a “modern” design paradigm to suggest now is the time.
>
> If someone has suggestions for content to eliminate or move now is the time.
>
> I’d prefer to work out new site build mechanics on the project site first.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do suggest looking at
what other projects have done. For example, see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/How+Apache+Jena+migrated+from+the+CMS

https://www.avg.com

RE: Website Migrations

Jörg Schmidt-2

We should proceed with great care, because some of xxx's website content is of great importance in answering user questions, as part of the community's voluntary support.

Questions:
----------
Will https://wiki.openoffice.org remain unchanged?

Is there a technical way to reliably archive the current state of the www.openoffice.org website?
Years ago, I myself had made a copy of the complete web page (www.openoffice.org) using www.httrack.com, but that did not work completely. (www.openoffice.org is also not complete on https://archive.org/.)

If a complete archiving is not possible, can we agree on a binding date when the move from www.openoffice.org to the new CMS will begin?
Then every interested person would have the chance to archive important things themselves if necessary.

greetings,
Jörg

RE: Website Migrations

Jörg Schmidt-2

sorry, this should mean: openoffice.org-website

Jörg

Re: Website Migrations

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

What we must not forget is that on October 13th we have the 20
anniversary of OpenOffice.org.

One way or the other, we need a working website around that time.

Additionally I would like to release AOO 4.1.8 and we must have a
working download page for that.
(Side note: At the moment I am the only volunteer for 4.1.8 but maybe
others show their interest?)

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 11.07.20 um 20:48 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Hi -
>
> It’s time to start the process of migrating two of our websites from the deprecated Apache CMS to a new method of building. This will be a major undertaking and there are several goals.
>
> The sites are:
> https://openoffice.apache.org/
> https://www.openoffice.org/
>
> We have a CWiki page for planning at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations>
>
> We have empty Git repos:
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org
>
> The request is in to rename the “master” branch to “trunk”. These repositories are currently empty.
>
> If someone has a “modern” design paradigm to suggest now is the time.
>
> If someone has suggestions for content to eliminate or move now is the time.
>
> I’d prefer to work out new site build mechanics on the project site first.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Jul 12, 2020, at 1:49 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,

Certainly. This discussion is regarding these two sites:

www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/>
openoffice.apache.org

Graphic redesign might spill over to wiki.openoffice.org <http://wiki.openoffice.org/> and forum.openoffice.org <http://forum.openoffice.org/>

> Questions:
> ----------
> Will https://wiki.openoffice.org remain unchanged?

I’m not planning to be involved there, but Keith is trying to reboot the documentation effort and there are currently issues with some plugins ...

> Is there a technical way to reliably archive the current state of the www.openoffice.org website?

The website source is in SVN. The migrated website will be in GIT. When we are done the SVN can be made read-only.

We can also plan cutover like this.

New site is new.openoffice.org <http://new.openoffice.org/> and old is www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/>.
When ready we rename www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/> in configuration to <something>.openoffice.org <http://openoffice.org/> and new.openoffice.org <http://new.openoffice.org/> to www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/>

> Years ago, I myself had made a copy of the complete web page (www.openoffice.org) using www.httrack.com, but that did not work completely. (www.openoffice.org is also not complete on https://archive.org/.)
>
> If a complete archiving is not possible, can we agree on a binding date when the move from www.openoffice.org to the new CMS will begin?
> Then every interested person would have the chance to archive important things themselves if necessary.

Since we plan to edit out extra pages it would really help for people to record via email or on the cwiki the www content that they find is critical. This should be done ASAP.

Thanks,
Dave

> greetings,
> Jörg

4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: Website Migrations)

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias, all

> What we must not forget is that on October 13th we have the 20
> anniversary of OpenOffice.org.
>
> One way or the other, we need a working website around that time.
>
> Additionally I would like to release AOO 4.1.8 and we must have a
> working download page for that.
> (Side note: At the moment I am the only volunteer for 4.1.8 but maybe
> others show their interest?)

Wouldn't it make sense to focus on 4.2.0 and make it the anniversary release 4.20th on the 20th anniversary?

Can't we motivate the developers to focus on this common goal and fix the remaining release blockers?

Regards,
Pedro

> Am 11.07.20 um 20:48 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> > Hi -
> >
> > It’s time to start the process of migrating two of our websites from the deprecated Apache CMS to a new method of building. This will be a major undertaking and there are several goals.
> >
> > The sites are:
> > https://openoffice.apache.org/
> > https://www.openoffice.org/
> >
> > We have a CWiki page for planning at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations>
> >
> > We have empty Git repos:
> > https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
> > https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org
> >
> > The request is in to rename the “master” branch to “trunk”. These repositories are currently empty.
> >
> > If someone has a “modern” design paradigm to suggest now is the time.
> >
> > If someone has suggestions for content to eliminate or move now is the time.
> >
> > I’d prefer to work out new site build mechanics on the project site first.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave

Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: Website Migrations)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 13.07.20 um 00:04 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Hi Matthias, all
>
>> What we must not forget is that on October 13th we have the 20
>> anniversary of OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> One way or the other, we need a working website around that time.
>>
>> Additionally I would like to release AOO 4.1.8 and we must have a
>> working download page for that.
>> (Side note: At the moment I am the only volunteer for 4.1.8 but maybe
>> others show their interest?)
> Wouldn't it make sense to focus on 4.2.0 and make it the anniversary release 4.20th on the 20th anniversary?
>
> Can't we motivate the developers to focus on this common goal and fix the remaining release blockers?
The release blockers are not trivial and known for ages...

But maybe you have better luck than me (with motivating)? ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro
>

>> Am 11.07.20 um 20:48 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> It’s time to start the process of migrating two of our websites from the deprecated Apache CMS to a new method of building. This will be a major undertaking and there are several goals.
>>>
>>> The sites are:
>>> https://openoffice.apache.org/
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/
>>>
>>> We have a CWiki page for planning at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations>
>>>
>>> We have empty Git repos:
>>> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
>>> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org
>>>
>>> The request is in to rename the “master” branch to “trunk”. These repositories are currently empty.
>>>
>>> If someone has a “modern” design paradigm to suggest now is the time.
>>>
>>> If someone has suggestions for content to eliminate or move now is the time.
>>>
>>> I’d prefer to work out new site build mechanics on the project site first.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: Website Migrations)

Keith N. McKenna
Hi Pedro, Matthias, and all;
Please see comments in line

On 7/12/2020 6:08 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Am 13.07.20 um 00:04 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi Matthias, all
>>
>>> What we must not forget is that on October 13th we have the 20
>>> anniversary of OpenOffice.org.
>>>
>>> One way or the other, we need a working website around that time.
>>>
>>> Additionally I would like to release AOO 4.1.8 and we must have a
>>> working download page for that.
>>> (Side note: At the moment I am the only volunteer for 4.1.8 but maybe
>>> others show their interest?)
I am also here Matthias along with starting the Release Notes; I have
finished a review of the next to last test build you did, and will
re-run that test against the the latest one.
>> Wouldn't it make sense to focus on 4.2.0 and make it the anniversary release 4.20th on the 20th anniversary?
>>
>> Can't we motivate the developers to focus on this common goal and fix the remaining release blockers?
>
> The release blockers are not trivial and known for ages...
>
> But maybe you have better luck than me (with motivating)? ;-)

Not only that, but running a search on Bugzilla looking at Issues marked
as Milestone 4.2.0 there are 267 items. That is a lot of items, some may
have been already done, others may be hanging out there unfinished for
whatever reason. With that number it should be looked at closely and
well could complicate getting a 4.2.0 Release done and we need to get a
release fairly soon to keep on track for a once a year release. The
search I use is 4.2.0Milestone and is set as shared so anyone can run it.

Regards
Keith

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> Regards,
>> Pedro

RE: Website Migrations

Jörg Schmidt-2

yes. "xxx" was just a typo.

> > Will https://wiki.openoffice.org remain unchanged?
>
> I’m not planning to be involved there, but Keith is trying to
> reboot the documentation effort and there are currently
> issues with some plugins ...

My question was again only about preserving important content. wiki.openoffice.org contains things that are important not only for us but also for LibreOffice (*).
_If nothing essential is changed there, we don't have to talk about it further._

(*)
e.g. the complete documentation for creating extensions is indispensable

> The website source is in SVN. The migrated website will be in
> GIT. When we are done the SVN can be made read-only.
>
> We can also plan cutover like this.
>
> New site is new.openoffice.org <http://new.openoffice.org/>
> and old is www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/>.
> When ready we rename www.openoffice.org
> <http://www.openoffice.org/> in configuration to
> <something>.openoffice.org <http://openoffice.org/> and
> new.openoffice.org <http://new.openoffice.org/> to
> www.openoffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/>

That sounds like a good idea.

Would that also mean that (if "something" equals "archive") we could keep archive.openoffice.org permanently available?

I'm afraid that won't be possible. But how is it technically possible to clone a local copy of the website from SVN? Is that even possible?

(btw: my copy of the website (also containing the wiki) has a size of 8.26 GB, but is not complete. The large size is due to the fact that not only html content, but all linked files are included.)

> > Years ago, I myself had made a copy of the complete web
> page (www.openoffice.org) using www.httrack.com, but that did
> not work completely. (www.openoffice.org is also not complete
> on https://archive.org/.)
> >
> > If a complete archiving is not possible, can we agree on a
> binding date when the move from www.openoffice.org to the new
> CMS will begin?
> > Then every interested person would have the chance to
> archive important things themselves if necessary.
>
> Since we plan to edit out extra pages it would really help
> for people to record via email or on the cwiki the www
> content that they find is critical. This should be done ASAP.

Okay, that's a clear statement.
Please give me _one week (until 20.06.)_ and I will search everything from http://www.openoffice.org/de/ and write down in the cwiki what is important.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: Website Migrations)

Gavin McDonald-2

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 5:45 AM Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not only that, but running a search on Bugzilla looking at Issues marked
> as Milestone 4.2.0 there are 267 items. That is a lot of items, some may
> have been already done, others may be hanging out there unfinished for
> whatever reason. With that number it should be looked at closely and
> well could complicate getting a 4.2.0 Release done and we need to get a
> release fairly soon to keep on track for a once a year release. The
> search I use is 4.2.0Milestone and is set as shared so anyone can run it.
>
> Regards
> Keith

I think it would be unrealistic to expect all those to be fixed in time to
get a release
out soon. Someone should go through those and bump out some to the next
release.

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator
ASF Infrastructure Team

Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: Website Migrations)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Gavin,

Am 13.07.20 um 11:35 schrieb Gavin McDonald:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 5:45 AM Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Not only that, but running a search on Bugzilla looking at Issues marked
>> as Milestone 4.2.0 there are 267 items. That is a lot of items, some may
>> have been already done, others may be hanging out there unfinished for
>> whatever reason. With that number it should be looked at closely and
>> well could complicate getting a 4.2.0 Release done and we need to get a
>> release fairly soon to keep on track for a once a year release. The
>> search I use is 4.2.0Milestone and is set as shared so anyone can run it.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith
>>
> I think it would be unrealistic to expect all those to be fixed in time to
> get a release
> out soon. Someone should go through those and bump out some to the next
> release.
Some time ago we moved our trunk internally from 4.2.0 to 4.5.0.
So most of these issues rather belong to trunk than to 4.2.0.

This is still some work to do... ;-)

Personally I don't think a decent 4.2.0 release in 3 month is realistic.
However we have a branch 4.1.8 at hand that is in good shape.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

> Personally I don't think a decent 4.2.0 release in 3 month is realistic.
> However we have a branch 4.1.8 at hand that is in good shape.

So the plan is to release 4.1.8 for the Anniversary?

Cheers,
Pedro

Re: 4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 13.07.20 um 18:46 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> Personally I don't think a decent 4.2.0 release in 3 month is realistic.
>> However we have a branch 4.1.8 at hand that is in good shape.
> So the plan is to release 4.1.8 for the Anniversary?

At least this is *my* plan... ;-)

If someone wants to join:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.8

Regards,

   Matthias

> Cheers,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: 4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Marcus (OOo)

> Am 13.07.20 um 18:46 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>
>>> Personally I don't think a decent 4.2.0 release in 3 month is realistic.
>>> However we have a branch 4.1.8 at hand that is in good shape.
>> So the plan is to release 4.1.8 for the Anniversary?
>
> At least this is *my* plan... ;-)
>
> If someone wants to join:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.8

as always I'll be part of a new release and will update the page tomorrow.

Marcus

Am 15.07.20 um 22:21 schrieb Marcus:

>>> So the plan is to release 4.1.8 for the Anniversary?
>>
>> At least this is *my* plan... ;-)
>>
>> If someone wants to join:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.8
>
> as always I'll be part of a new release and will update the page tomorrow.

done.

There are a few tasks open for build, release and communication.
Volunteers, please step up.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: 4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Carl Marcum

On 7/16/20 4:07 PM, Marcus wrote:
> Am 15.07.20 um 22:21 schrieb Marcus:
> done.
>
> There are a few tasks open for build, release and communication.
> Volunteers, please step up.

Is there more info available on the steps for the buildbot or various
build tasks need.

I regularly build trunk on CentOS 7 but I don't have a CentOS 5 VM setup
but I could get one ready.

Is the source build on project hardware or personal?

I'll signup for something but want to make sure I'm capable.

Thanks,
Carl

RE: Website Migrations

Jörg Schmidt-2

As promised, I have added the pages of the de-pages to the wiki, which will be kept and need to be revised, see under "Rewritten manually":
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Migrations

greetings,
Jörg

Re: 4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Pedro Lino-3

> On 07/17/2020 11:03 AM Carl Marcum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > There are a few tasks open for build, release and communication.
> > Volunteers, please step up.
> >

> Is there more info available on the steps for the buildbot or various
> build tasks need.
>
> I regularly build trunk on CentOS 7 but I don't have a CentOS 5 VM setup
> but I could get one ready.

Does it have to be CentOS 5 (which has not been updated since 2014)? Shouldn't the binaries produced (if compiled without errors) be valid for any machine that could run 4.1.7 regardless of the Distro they were compiled on?

> Is the source build on project hardware or personal?
>
> I'll signup for something but want to make sure I'm capable.

+1
Please let me know what I can do (I am asking so this is not against the Apache Way)

Regards,
Pedro

Re: 4.1.8 on the 20th Anniversary? (was Re: 4.2.0 on the 20th Anniversary?)

Jim Jagielski
I'm up for it

> On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthias
>
>> Personally I don't think a decent 4.2.0 release in 3 month is realistic.
>> However we have a branch 4.1.8 at hand that is in good shape.
>
> So the plan is to release 4.1.8 for the Anniversary?
>
> Cheers,
> Pedro

12