Website: tweaking the look of it

12

Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
I just tinkers with the look of "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/product/"
to see if I can improve it a tiny bit.

I worked on a screenshot to show you what I mean and to ask you whether
you think it's an improvement at all.

Please, compare the image before
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsjfb4b8r8909qx/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"

With the image after
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8hvp85hqgannpr/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0".

The things I've done:

1) removed the vertical ruler above the header of the body page (Įranga
/ Product);
2) removed the indentation of the header of the body page;
3) aligned vertically the header of the body page with the header of the
left navigation pane (Įranga / Products).

Looks cleaner and neater to me.

What do you think?

Regards,
Aivaras

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Marcus (OOo)
Am 01/19/2015 11:37 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:

> [...]
>
> Looks cleaner and neater to me.
>
> What do you think?

you are right. Up to now I haven't really recognized the horizonal ruler
on the international webpage [1] but now - with your comparation - it
looks indeed better.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/product/

Marcus

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

YoheY - OpenOffice
Looks clearer and more consequent.

To start from this point, a full css check on cross references and
orphan links could be a good task for this year. Maybe a website with
selectable skins.

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Pedro Albuquerque

you are right, it does look better!

Regards,
Pedro.

On 19-01-2015 22:37, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:

> I just tinkers with the look of
> "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/product/" to see if I can improve it a
> tiny bit.
>
> I worked on a screenshot to show you what I mean and to ask you
> whether you think it's an improvement at all.
>
> Please, compare the image before
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsjfb4b8r8909qx/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"
>
> With the image after
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8hvp85hqgannpr/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0".
>
> The things I've done:
>
> 1) removed the vertical ruler above the header of the body page
> (Įranga / Product);
> 2) removed the indentation of the header of the body page;
> 3) aligned vertically the header of the body page with the header of
> the left navigation pane (Įranga / Products).
>
> Looks cleaner and neater to me.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Aivaras

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 19/01/2015 Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> I just tinkers with the look of "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/product/"
> ... Looks cleaner and neater to me.

Indeed it is! Feel free to port it to the "xx" site too, so that future
translations use the better one (of course, changes should also be done
in the main -English- site).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
While we're at it, a couple more suggestions for tweaking aesthetic
elements. Let's see how we feel about them.

1. Top news headline:

Before
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaamqngwml85bvg/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"

After
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ev8rs3eq3ntffh/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0"

Why: 1) with respect to the horizontal rulers (separators) encompassing
it vertically, the headline feels less claustrophobic, less "squeezed
in-between"; 2) the underline showing the text is a link is actually
better visible as it is not assimilated by the bottom ruler (the same
can be said about the bottom ruler - it retains better visibility); 2)
size-wise, the headline is less competing with the AOO logo, yet retains
its central position and distinctness.

What I did: font - Liberation Sans, size - 18pt, weight - bold, type -
underline.

2. .../download/ > right column > vertical spacing above the top heading
"Release Information":

Before "http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html"

After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/"

Why: by making the spacing above "Release Information" equal the
spacings above the rest of the headings in the same column a sense of
order and symmetry is strengthened (i.e., the geometry of the page
"rhymes" better).

What I did:
"http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/download/index.html?annotate=1653258&diff_format=h&sortby=date#l316"

3. Top seagull separator for the news section on the home page:

Before "http://www.openoffice.org/es/"

After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/"

Why: 1) the horizontal separator is not doing its job up there since
there is no preceding text; 2) in fact, what precedes it is another
vertical separator, i.e. the bottom ruler for the navigation bar; having
two horizontal separators in a stack is not ideal in terms of styling;
3) the separator pushes the text in the news column further down
increasing the need for scrolling down, the layout becomes less compact
and economic; 4) removing it allows the top heading of the news section
("Udine moves to OpenOffice, will save 360,000 Euro") to be aligned
vertically with "I want to learn more about OpenOffice", and this
positively affects the geometry of the layout.

What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
"http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"

Regards,
Aivaras

Am 01/20/2015 04:18 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:

> While we're at it, a couple more suggestions for tweaking aesthetic
> elements. Let's see how we feel about them.
>
> 1. Top news headline:
>
> Before
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaamqngwml85bvg/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"
>
> After
> "https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ev8rs3eq3ntffh/150120%20Top%20News%20Healine%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0"
>
> Why: 1) with respect to the horizontal rulers (separators) encompassing
> it vertically, the headline feels less claustrophobic, less "squeezed
> in-between"; 2) the underline showing the text is a link is actually
> better visible as it is not assimilated by the bottom ruler (the same
> can be said about the bottom ruler - it retains better visibility); 2)
> size-wise, the headline is less competing with the AOO logo, yet retains
> its central position and distinctness.
>
> What I did: font - Liberation Sans, size - 18pt, weight - bold, type -
> underline.

I understasnd your point. However, it's just a decrease of the font size.

What about to delete the line above the top news headline and to delete
the gray background color? Then the headline is standing above the nav
bar and - from an optical point of view - it's more space for it and to
the logo/text.

See "ooo.css", line 87:

#announce {
   height: 24pt;
- border-top: 1px solid #c6cbdd;
- margin: 0 0 0 0;
+ margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px
- background-color: #fbfcfd;
   padding: 0 0 0 0;
   color: black;
   font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Liberation Sans', FreeSans, sans-serif;
   font-size:18pt;
   text-align: center;
   font-weight: bold;
   clear: both;
}

> 2. .../download/ > right column > vertical spacing above the top heading
> "Release Information":
>
> Before "http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html"
>
> After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/"
>
> Why: by making the spacing above "Release Information" equal the
> spacings above the rest of the headings in the same column a sense of
> order and symmetry is strengthened (i.e., the geometry of the page
> "rhymes" better).

Yes, the vertical spacing could be removed.

> What I did:
> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/download/index.html?annotate=1653258&diff_format=h&sortby=date#l316"

You have inserted the CSS code directly into the HTML page. That's
working for sure. However, it would be better to place all CSS code in
the respective files. Both things are separated and can be much better
maintained in case of further changes.

In this case it would be "exception.css", line 300:

- .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; white-space:
nowrap; clear: none; }

+ .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; margin-top: -18px;
white-space: nowrap; clear: none; }

> 3. Top seagull separator for the news section on the home page:
>
> Before "http://www.openoffice.org/es/"
>
> After "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/"
>
> Why: 1) the horizontal separator is not doing its job up there since
> there is no preceding text; 2) in fact, what precedes it is another
> vertical separator, i.e. the bottom ruler for the navigation bar; having
> two horizontal separators in a stack is not ideal in terms of styling;
> 3) the separator pushes the text in the news column further down
> increasing the need for scrolling down, the layout becomes less compact
> and economic; 4) removing it allows the top heading of the news section
> ("Udine moves to OpenOffice, will save 360,000 Euro") to be aligned
> vertically with "I want to learn more about OpenOffice", and this
> positively affects the geometry of the layout.

Indeed this would be good to do.

> What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"

And also here a solution in the "home.css" would be better.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

2015.01.20 21:27, Marcus rašė:

> What about to delete the line above the top news headline and to
> delete the gray background color? Then the headline is standing above
> the nav bar and - from an optical point of view - it's more space for
> it and to the logo/text.
>
> See "ooo.css", line 87:
>
> #announce {
>   height: 24pt;
> - border-top: 1px solid #c6cbdd;
> - margin: 0 0 0 0;
> + margin: 0px 0px 5px 0px
> - background-color: #fbfcfd;
>   padding: 0 0 0 0;
>   color: black;
>   font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'Liberation Sans', FreeSans, sans-serif;
>   font-size:18pt;
>   text-align: center;
>   font-weight: bold;
>   clear: both;
> }

Done.

> In this case it would be "exception.css", line 300:
>
> - .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; white-space:
> nowrap; clear: none; }
>
> + .additionalinformation { float: right; width: 21%; margin-top:
> -18px; white-space: nowrap; clear: none; }

Done.

>> What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
>> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"
>>

> And also here a solution in the "home.css" would be better.

I can give it a try, but, please, instruct me how to do it.

Regards,
Aivaras

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
Hi Marcus,

Where and what do I have to edit to achieve this?

Regards,
Aivaras

2015.01.20 01:25, Marcus rašė:

> Am 01/19/2015 11:37 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Looks cleaner and neater to me.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> you are right. Up to now I haven't really recognized the horizonal
> ruler on the international webpage [1] but now - with your comparation
> - it looks indeed better.
>
> [1] http://www.openoffice.org/product/
>
> Marcus

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

YoheY - OpenOffice

>>> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"
>>>

>> And also here a solution in the "home.css" would be better.
>
> I can give it a try, but, please, instruct me how to do it.
>
> Regards,
> Aivaras

I think, this one cannot be done in the css like the two above,
since the change is needed only for a special item, not for all the
items named in the class.

Possible solution is to use a class with an outstanding name for the
topmost news which name
should be used in the index.html file too.

Or use it as it is written at the moment.
Many other styling information can be found directly written into the
code throughout the page.
/Which is not good either but pushes us forward to discuss site
structure and styling soon... :) /

Regards,
csaba

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
I am not sure I'm following you (may be due to a lack of proper
technical understanding).

I was referring to this case:

Before
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsjfb4b8r8909qx/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28before%29.jpg?dl=0"

After
"https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8hvp85hqgannpr/150120%20Product%20Page%20Look%20%28after%29.jpg?dl=0"

The change is generic (i.e., not special) as it would affect all the
pages under .../product/... and .../why/...

But may be you mean something else by "special."

Regards,
Aivaras

2015.01.22 12:31, YoheY - OpenOffice rašė:
> ...the change is needed only for a special item, not for all the items
> named in the class.

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

YoheY - OpenOffice
Sorry, I may misunderstood something or give a misunderstandable
explanation. :)

1. You showed up three different changes.
2. I saw two 'Done's later for the first two changes.
3. And wrote my message to the third change - seagulls in news in
Lithuanian - where you asked for some instruction to apply the changes
to the css file. My opinion is to leave this part as it is as explained
previously.

On the main site the seagulls looks nice for me above the blog but you
can let them disappear by writing the code you applied to lt site and
aligning the 'Recent Blog Posts' title is the same as you did with lt, too.

Chasing seagulls from above the 'Recent News' is the same, but in this
case we have a scrollbar on the side. I suggest a 10px space between
blog and news section to look clearer (can be seen on hu subsite with
inverted order) (and previously suggested it for xx template too).

Ps.1 /common/:
xx template is missing the last blog:
'31 December:
Apache OpenOffice in 2014: a year in review'

2 /lt/:
If you leave out scrollbar from news on lt, in some cases the end part
of the page can close up to your news. An empty line or a 10-20px
spacing after the last news could be useful.

3 /common/:
W3C XHTML label should not be there with the OK sign if it's not ok...

Regards,
csaba

Am 01/22/2015 02:52 AM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> 2015.01.20 21:27, Marcus rašė:
>
>>> What I did (thanks to Csaba's help):
>>> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/lt/index.html?annotate=1648077&diff_format=h&sortby=date&pathrev=1653170#l120"
>>
>> And also here a solution in the "home.css" would be better.
>
> I can give it a try, but, please, instruct me how to do it.

YoheY gave the right key word: Currently the CSS class "campaign" is
used for all items. But when the first item has to be slightly different
compared to the following between each article, then you have to use
another one - a special one - that is handling the background image
different.

Example:

1. Change in "index.html":

Old:
<h2 style="margin-top: -12px;">Udinė pereina prie „Apache OpenOffice“,
sutaupydama 360 000 eurų</h2>

New:
<h2 style="margin-top: -12px;">Udinė pereina prie „Apache OpenOffice“,
sutaupydama 360 000 eurų</h2>

2. Change in "home.css" (add in line 79):
#news div.first { background: none: }

3. Change in "style.css" (add in line 788):
div.first { background: none; }

HTH

Marcus

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
Thanks Marcus.

After the changes you've just suggested the page looks like this
"http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/lt/index.html".

The top separator has re-emerged. Either I made a mistake or we need
more scrutiny here.

Regards,

Aivaras

Am 01/22/2015 08:16 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> After the changes you've just suggested the page looks like this
> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/lt/index.html".
>
> The top separator has re-emerged. Either I made a mistake or we need
> more scrutiny here.

with my local test it worked. But indeed not when committing.

Needs to be analyzed in more details.

Marcus

> 2015.01.22 20:19, Marcus rašė:

>>> I can give it a try, but, please, instruct me how to do it.
>>
>> YoheY gave the right key word: Currently the CSS class "campaign" is
>> used for all items. But when the first item has to be slightly
>> different compared to the following between each article, then you
>> have to use another one - a special one - that is handling the
>> background image different.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> 1. Change in "index.html":
>>
>> Old:
>> <h2 style="margin-top: -12px;">Udinė pereina prie „Apache OpenOffice“,
>> sutaupydama 360 000 eurų</h2>
>>
>> New:
>> <h2 style="margin-top: -12px;">Udinė pereina prie „Apache OpenOffice“,
>> sutaupydama 360 000 eurų</h2>
>>
>> 2. Change in "home.css" (add in line 79):
>> #news div.first { background: none: }
>>
>> 3. Change in "style.css" (add in line 788):
>> div.first { background: none; }
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

YoheY - OpenOffice
I guess, the styling information, which tells the browser not to use
seagulls for that part should be processed last. This way, the style
named 'first' should appear after all formatting information which is
connected to 'campaign'.

Or the double label can be inverted, like 'campaign first'.

Or a simply underscore to combine the two words would be a good use,
like this 'first_campaign'.
And to write the whole styling into it without seagulls.
/Meeting first time with the seagulls approx. a week or two ago, I found
a broken reference to style this part too. -->>
url("http://www.openoffice.org/images/campaign-bg.png");./

Or leaving the code directly styled as the h2 header stands right after it.
/Until a throughout css check and rebuild. :)/

Regards,
csaba

Am 01/22/2015 09:25 PM, schrieb YoheY - OpenOffice:
> I guess, the styling information, which tells the browser not to use
> seagulls for that part should be processed last. This way, the style
> named 'first' should appear after all formatting information which is
> connected to 'campaign'.

additionally it's the way you have to write it in CSS syntax. An
inserted dot or even no dot can make a big difference.

> Or the double label can be inverted, like 'campaign first'.
>
> Or a simply underscore to combine the two words would be a good use,
> like this 'first_campaign'.
> And to write the whole styling into it without seagulls.
> /Meeting first time with the seagulls approx. a week or two ago, I found
> a broken reference to style this part too. -->>
> url("http://www.openoffice.org/images/campaign-bg.png");./

In the meantime it's fixed and the staged version looks fine - also the
LT webpage.

> Or leaving the code directly styled as the h2 header stands right after it.
> /Until a throughout css check and rebuild. :)/

When you mention this a 3rd time, then you have to do it - of course on
voluntary basis. ;-P

Marcus

> On 2015-01-22 21:11, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 01/22/2015 08:16 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>> After the changes you've just suggested the page looks like this
>>> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/lt/index.html".
>>>
>>> The top separator has re-emerged. Either I made a mistake or we need
>>> more scrutiny here.
>>
>> with my local test it worked. But indeed not when committing.
>>
>> Needs to be analyzed in more details.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

YoheY - OpenOffice
- When you mention this a 3rd time, then you have to do it - of course
on voluntary basis. ;-P
- Yup. I train myself this way to get used to the idea.
If I write it enough times sooner or later I start it... :)

Re: Website: tweaking the look of it

Aivaras Stepukonis
Yes, it does. I'm speculating it was some kind of sync delay in the server?

Thanks Marcus.

One tiny bit I forgot to mention: in "index.html", the top margin wound
up being -24px.

Regards,
Aivaras

Am 01/22/2015 10:29 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Yes, it does. I'm speculating it was some kind of sync delay in the server?
>
> Thanks Marcus.
>
> One tiny bit I forgot to mention: in "index.html", the top margin wound
> up being -24px.

both "index.html" files (main and from LT) use now the top margin of
-33px for the H2 tag. However, in LT there is an element style of -24px.
And due to how CSS is working the style which is directly set in the
HTML tag is recognized as the last and therefore winning. So, when you
are deleting the -24px then the -33px from home.css resp. styles.css is
used and the headline comes up a bit higher.

HTH

Marcus

> 2015.01.22 22:56, Marcus rašė:
>> In the meantime it's fixed and the staged version looks fine - also
>> the LT webpage.

12