What I want to do with my documents

Samara Spence
Dear Open Office,

What I want to be able to do most with my text documents is to be able to
open the same document in 2 or more separate windows.  It would be fine if
only the first window were capable of being edited, but it would be better
if the document could be edited from multiple windows on the same computer
at the same time.  When I'm writing a long paper, or even a not-so-long
paper, I spend a tremendous amount of time scrolling around looking for
things I wrote in one place and trying to make sure the rest of the paper is
consistent with it.  This feature would save me oodles of time.  I could
have the same doc side-by-side, on separate monitors, or even on different
"desktops".

---
Open Office User

Re: What I want to do with my documents

Niklas Nebel-2
On 11/10/10 18:13, Samara Spence wrote:

> What I want to be able to do most with my text documents is to be able to
> open the same document in 2 or more separate windows.  It would be fine if
> only the first window were capable of being edited, but it would be better
> if the document could be edited from multiple windows on the same computer
> at the same time.  When I'm writing a long paper, or even a not-so-long
> paper, I spend a tremendous amount of time scrolling around looking for
> things I wrote in one place and trying to make sure the rest of the paper is
> consistent with it.  This feature would save me oodles of time.  I could
> have the same doc side-by-side, on separate monitors, or even on different
> "desktops".

This is already available: "New Window" in the Window menu.

Niklas

Re: What I want to do with my documents

Harold Fuchs-8
On 10/11/2010 17:13, Samara Spence wrote:

> Dear Open Office,
>
> What I want to be able to do most with my text documents is to be able to
> open the same document in 2 or more separate windows.  It would be fine if
> only the first window were capable of being edited, but it would be better
> if the document could be edited from multiple windows on the same computer
> at the same time.  When I'm writing a long paper, or even a not-so-long
> paper, I spend a tremendous amount of time scrolling around looking for
> things I wrote in one place and trying to make sure the rest of the paper is
> consistent with it.  This feature would save me oodles of time.  I could
> have the same doc side-by-side, on separate monitors, or even on different
> "desktops".
>

> ---
> Open Office User

Open the document and then click menu item Window>New Window. A new
window will open with the same document displayed. You can then use your
window manager (Microsoft Windows I guess in your case) to display these
either side by side or one above the other. Of course they are
separately scrollable and changes made in one window are instantly
reflected in the other. If you have a dual monitor set-up you should be
able to drag one of the windows to the other monitor and work with both
full screen.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

Re: What I want to do with my documents

Paul Gress-2
On 11/10/10 01:53 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> On 10/11/2010 17:13, Samara Spence wrote:
>> Dear Open Office,
>>
>> What I want to be able to do most with my text documents is to be able to
>> open the same document in 2 or more separate windows.  It would be fine if
>> only the first window were capable of being edited, but it would be better
>> if the document could be edited from multiple windows on the same computer
>> at the same time.  When I'm writing a long paper, or even a not-so-long
>> paper, I spend a tremendous amount of time scrolling around looking for
>> things I wrote in one place and trying to make sure the rest of the paper is
>> consistent with it.  This feature would save me oodles of time.  I could
>> have the same doc side-by-side, on separate monitors, or even on different
>> "desktops".
>>

>> ---
>> Open Office User
>>
> Open the document and then click menu item Window>New Window. A new window will open with the same document displayed. You can then use your window manager (Microsoft Windows I guess in your case) to display these either side by side or one above the other. Of course they are separately scrollable and changes made in one window are instantly reflected in the other. If you have a dual monitor set-up you should be able to drag one of the windows to the other monitor and work with both full screen.

Now that is cool, I never new you can do that.  It works here on Opensolaris also, not just a Windows thing.

Paul

Re: What I want to do with my documents

twayne at twaynesdomain
In news:[hidden email],
Paul Gress <[hidden email]> typed:

> On 11/10/10 01:53 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:
>> On 10/11/2010 17:13, Samara Spence wrote:
>>> Dear Open Office,
>>>
>>> What I want to be able to do most with my text documents
>>> is to be able to open the same document in 2 or more
>>> separate windows.  It would be fine if only the first
>>> window were capable of being edited, but it would be
>>> better if the document could be edited from multiple
>>> windows on the same computer at the same time.  When I'm
>>> writing a long paper, or even a not-so-long paper, I
>>> spend a tremendous amount of time scrolling around
>>> looking for things I wrote in one place and trying to
>>> make sure the rest of the paper is consistent with it.
>>> This feature would save me oodles of time.  I could have
>>> the same doc side-by-side, on separate monitors, or even
>>> on different "desktops".
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Open Office User
>>>
>> Open the document and then click menu item Window>New
>> Window. A new window will open with the same document
>> displayed. You can then use your window manager (Microsoft
>> Windows I guess in your case) to display these either side
>> by side or one above the other. Of course they are
>> separately scrollable and changes made in one window are
>> instantly reflected in the other. If you have a dual
>> monitor set-up you should be able to drag one of the
>> windows to the other monitor and work with both full
>> screen.
>>

> Now that is cool, I never new you can do that.  It works
> here on Opensolaris also, not just a Windows thing.
>
> Paul

I believe you'll find that's actually an OO thing, not the OS. Most of the
popular word processors allow it too but OOo has a better impementation IMO.

HTH,

Twayne`