What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

on the de-dev list has offered a volunteer help in updating the German web-pages.

What are the requirements for access to the CMS?

The volunteer has been known as an active member of the German mailing lists (de-users, de-dev) for about 3 years. He is not (currently) a committer and not a programmer.

(if it helps, I could guarantee for this volunteer)

greetings,
Jörg

Re: What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

Dave Fisher
Great!

Dave

> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:56 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> on the de-dev list has offered a volunteer help in updating the German web-pages.
>
> What are the requirements for access to the CMS?
>
> The volunteer has been known as an active member of the German mailing lists (de-users, de-dev) for about 3 years. He is not (currently) a committer and not a programmer.
>
> (if it helps, I could guarantee for this volunteer)
>

> greetings,
> Jörg

Re: What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

Marcus (OOo)
Am 23.10.2017 um 20:56 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> on the de-dev list has offered a volunteer help in updating the German web-pages.
>
> What are the requirements for access to the CMS?
>
> The volunteer has been known as an active member of the German mailing lists (de-users, de-dev) for about 3 years. He is not (currently) a committer and not a programmer.
>
> (if it helps, I could guarantee for this volunteer)

he needs to be a committer.

So, you can work together: He is suggesting the text changes (or
deliveres actually patches) and you can commit them to the CMS.

Here is a short list how to become a committer [1]. These are general
ASF process steps, so it doesn't apply directly to OpenOffice. But the
priciple is the same:

- show your active patricipation
- sign the ICLA
- contribute changes/patches
- be voted in to become a committer

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Becoming+a+Committer

HTH

Marcus

Re: What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]

> he needs to be a committer.
>
> So, you can work together: He is suggesting the text changes (or
> deliveres actually patches) and you can commit them to the CMS.

Yes, I am (principally) aware of this possibility.

---------------------
Only I probably needed some help in organizing the practical work, BECAUSE:

I don't know how to keep non-committed changes in the CMS for a longer period of time, because all pending changes to the OO website will always be transferred with a commit.

Example:
if I change the web page "a. html" at 20:00 and save it as a stating build (and not commited) and another one at 21:00 changes the web page "b. html" and commits immediately, then both changes will be published.
---------------------

> Here is a short list how to become a committer [1]. These are general
> ASF process steps, so it doesn't apply directly to
> OpenOffice. But the
> priciple is the same:

Yes, I know this procedure.

If I read that Dave offers to discuss the committer-status in the PMC, can I assume that Apache will grant the committer rights relatively soon?

Am 23.10.2017 um 21:45 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

>> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
>> he needs to be a committer.
>>
>> So, you can work together: He is suggesting the text changes (or
>> deliveres actually patches) and you can commit them to the CMS.
>
> Yes, I am (principally) aware of this possibility.
>
> ---------------------
> Only I probably needed some help in organizing the practical work, BECAUSE:
>
> I don't know how to keep non-committed changes in the CMS for a longer period of time, because all pending changes to the OO website will always be transferred with a commit.
>
> Example:
> if I change the web page "a. html" at 20:00 and save it as a stating build (and not commited) and another one at 21:00 changes the web page "b. html" and commits immediately, then both changes will be published.
> ---------------------

that's right. This is how the CMS is working. a.html and b.html are part
of the "ooo-site" CMS project and a single "publish" command will put
both (and all other changes in this project) online.

Therefore I'm working mostly locally and look closely how the changes
are working/looking. When including all other HTML, CSS and JavaScript
parts it is working good - even when it's just on my local machine.

Then, when I'm sure it's OK, I'm committing it, so that it's appearing
in the staged area. When it's also here working/looking good here, then
I'm fine. Otherwise I'm doing further changes. Finally, when it's done
from here I don't care if I put it online in 1 hour or if someone else
is doing it faster.

Of course, I don't know if you are fine with this and want to work this way.

>> Here is a short list how to become a committer [1]. These are general
>> ASF process steps, so it doesn't apply directly to
>> OpenOffice. But the
>> priciple is the same:
>
> Yes, I know this procedure.
>
> If I read that Dave offers to discuss the committer-status in the PMC, can I assume that Apache will grant the committer rights relatively soon?

The PMC:
- needs to know her/him - mostly done via visible and continuous
   activity via mailing lists
- has to be confidend that it's not only a few changes and than she/he
   is gone again - or silent
- it should be more than just a few typo changes (or similar small
   changes)

So, at the end: it depends. ;-)

Marcus

Re: What are the requirements for volunteers who want to edit web-pages?

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Marcus [mailto:[hidden email]]

> > Example:
> > if I change the web page "a. html" at 20:00 and save it as
> a stating build (and not commited) and another one at 21:00
> changes the web page "b. html" and commits immediately, then
> both changes will be published.
>
> that's right. This is how the CMS is working. a.html and
> b.html are part
> of the "ooo-site" CMS project and a single "publish" command will put
> both (and all other changes in this project) online.

Thank you for confirming.

> Therefore I'm working mostly locally and [...]

Yes, I do know this possibility.

Jörg