Where I think I'll be of the most use.

Steve Lubbs
After spending a few hours poking around I have some ideas on where I
can make the biggest impact given my background.

Multi-threading/Concurrency: This is one of my bailiwicks. Correct me if
I'm wrong but it appears that concurrency support was removed when Mac
OSX dropped support for standard  concurrency APIs. I saw that all the
concurrency APIs were gutted in semaphore.h and mutex.h.  Unfortunately
replacing them with the OSX GCD (Grand Central Dispatcher, how cute) and
dispatch queues won't fill the porting bill. I would like to look into
ways to implement semaphores, mutexes,etc. so we can fill this gap.
Might still be able to use dispatch queues for threading.

I have a pretty good background in threading and concurrency. For
example, way back I needed to port some threaded unix code to an OS that
had no support for threads or concurrency so implemented my own
light-weight threads and concurrency primitives. For atomic operations I
used a assembly-level compare and increment command. I was so proud of
it I started writing an article for Dr. Dobbs, a big programming mag at
the time. While I was so engaged, someone else beat me to the punch. Rats.

Architecture Documentation: It appears to be in need of major updating.
I haven't seen anything updated in the last 10 years. I would like to
update it as much as I can, at least WRT the modules I touch.

What do you think?

Sorry for bloviating.

BTW, this is fun.

Steve

Re: Where I think I'll be of the most use.

Peter Kovacs-3

On 20.12.20 01:16, Steve Lubbs wrote:

> After spending a few hours poking around I have some ideas on where I
> can make the biggest impact given my background.
>
> Multi-threading/Concurrency: This is one of my bailiwicks. Correct me
> if I'm wrong but it appears that concurrency support was removed when
> Mac OSX dropped support for standard  concurrency APIs. I saw that all
> the concurrency APIs were gutted in semaphore.h and mutex.h.
> Unfortunately replacing them with the OSX GCD (Grand Central
> Dispatcher, how cute) and dispatch queues won't fill the porting bill.
> I would like to look into ways to implement semaphores, mutexes,etc.
> so we can fill this gap. Might still be able to use dispatch queues
> for threading.

There is a theory that we have some concurrency issue when system is
shutting down. maybe you can look into that too?

> I have a pretty good background in threading and concurrency. For
> example, way back I needed to port some threaded unix code to an OS
> that had no support for threads or concurrency so implemented my own
> light-weight threads and concurrency primitives. For atomic operations
> I used a assembly-level compare and increment command. I was so proud
> of it I started writing an article for Dr. Dobbs, a big programming
> mag at the time. While I was so engaged, someone else beat me to the
> punch. Rats.
>
> Architecture Documentation: It appears to be in need of major
> updating. I haven't seen anything updated in the last 10 years. I
> would like to update it as much as I can, at least WRT the modules I
> touch.
>
> What do you think?
sounds good.

> Sorry for bloviating.
No Problem. Better biovaliting then not talking. ;)

> BTW, this is fun.

You are welcome!

Peter

--