Which conference?

Patricia Shanahan
In my experience face-to-face meetings help smooth e-mail communication.
I live in California but many of the AOO developers seem to be based in
Europe, so my best chance of meeting some of you is to attend a European
open source conference.

I would like to decide at least a couple of months in advance because of
air travel pricing. I will be based in London during my trip, so I
prefer locations with direct trains from there.

I am currently considering FOSDEM 2018, but is there a better choice?

Re: Which conference?

Andrea Pescetti-2
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> I am currently considering FOSDEM 2018, but is there a better choice?

No better choice. It is confirmed there will be a Devroom for Open
Document Editors (like OpenOffice) and the call for talks will be sent
very soon.

There will also be a quite crowded ASF booth to meet people from other
Apache projects too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Which conference?

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:27:34 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> > I am currently considering FOSDEM 2018, but is there a better choice?
>
> No better choice. It is confirmed there will be a Devroom for Open
> Document Editors (like OpenOffice) and the call for talks will be sent
> very soon.
>
> There will also be a quite crowded ASF booth to meet people from other
> Apache projects too.

If you choose FOSDEM 2018, you can either fly from UK, or go by Eurostar train (advance booking for best fares).  Most of my UK friends choose to Eurostar for near Europe.  With airport delays (security before, flight time, customs afterwards, transfer to/from airports) Eurostar train is faster city centre to city centre - from memory 2:20 plus 30 mins checkin.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Which conference?

Patricia Shanahan

On 10/17/2017 1:38 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:27:34 +0200
> Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>> I am currently considering FOSDEM 2018, but is there a better choice?
>>
>> No better choice. It is confirmed there will be a Devroom for Open
>> Document Editors (like OpenOffice) and the call for talks will be sent
>> very soon.
>>
>> There will also be a quite crowded ASF booth to meet people from other
>> Apache projects too.
>>

> If you choose FOSDEM 2018, you can either fly from UK, or go by Eurostar train (advance booking for best fares).  Most of my UK friends choose to Eurostar for near Europe.  With airport delays (security before, flight time, customs afterwards, transfer to/from airports) Eurostar train is faster city centre to city centre - from memory 2:20 plus 30 mins checkin.

Definitely Eurostar for central London to central Brussels.

Re: Which conference?

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 13:51:39 -0700
Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/17/2017 1:38 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:27:34 +0200
> > Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> No better choice. It is confirmed there will be a Devroom for Open
> >> Document Editors (like OpenOffice) and the call for talks will be sent
> >> very soon.
> >>
> >> There will also be a quite crowded ASF booth to meet people from other
> >> Apache projects too.
> >>

> > If you choose FOSDEM 2018, you can either fly from UK, or go by Eurostar train (advance booking for best fares).  Most of my UK friends choose to Eurostar for near Europe.  With airport delays (security before, flight time, customs afterwards, transfer to/from airports) Eurostar train is faster city centre to city centre - from memory 2:20 plus 30 mins checkin.
> >

> Definitely Eurostar for central London to central Brussels.

I think it terminates Brussels Zuid and you catch a frequent shuttle to Brussels Central.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Which conference?

Peter Kovacs-3
+1, the only conference I am aware where people have tried to meet from @dev list last year was for FOSDEM. 4 have planned to meet up but we were 10 or 15 people when we did. Was very cool!

Since last time was quite short notice, I thought I announce this year early to give all a better chance to join.

Am 17. Oktober 2017 22:27:34 MESZ schrieb Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>:

>Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> I am currently considering FOSDEM 2018, but is there a better choice?
>
>No better choice. It is confirmed there will be a Devroom for Open
>Document Editors (like OpenOffice) and the call for talks will be sent
>very soon.
>
>There will also be a quite crowded ASF booth to meet people from other
>Apache projects too.
>
>Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Which conference?

Patricia Shanahan
Count me in for any FOSDEM dev@ meet-ups. I just booked my San Diego -
London travel. I'll be based in London from January 26th to February
14th. I'll book Eurostar travel to Brussels and a hotel in Brussels when
the schedule becomes clearer.