Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

FR web forum
Hello team,
Since fork, only LibO is provided as office suite in Linux repositories.
Apache sets some projects like tomcat or httpd as packages.
Why not for AOO?

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Andrea Pescetti-2
FR web forum wrote:
> provided as office suite in Linux repositories.

It's their choice, driven by commercial interests in some cases.

Since they won't do the work, we take care of it (we actually always
did) by providing RPMs and DEBs that will run on most distributions.

One could make a further step and setup an official Yum repository (and
similar), and this would possibly be helpful to users since in that case
we could distribute updates to users together with the other system updates.

As for asking distributions to include OpenOffice again, they won't do
it with their own resources (they didn't even when the financial
situation of the backing companies was better) and we would have to do
all the work, hoping that they decide to use it. It's nice to have for
sure, just not one of the priorities I see at the moment: in the past I
thought it would be important to be in Linux distributions, but numbers
make it clear that Linux users know where to find OpenOffice.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Dave Fisher
The Linux distributors made their own choice. If my recollection is correct some of them directly supported LibO development.

I’ve been on the Tomcat users list for a decade and the experts there are really only helpful when users have installed Apache binaries and not a Linux vendor distribution which is sometimes rearranged. If you want the latest security you want an Apache distribution and not a vendor’s.

I can’t speak for how Apache HTTPD approaches this.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 14, 2018, at 7:13 AM, FR web forum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello team,
> Since fork, only LibO is provided as office suite in Linux repositories.
> Apache sets some projects like tomcat or httpd as packages.
> Why not for AOO?

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 09:56:32 -0800
Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Linux distributors made their own choice. If my recollection is correct some of them directly supported LibO development.

I felt it was a manifestation of the religious war that led to the LibreOffice split.

Note that on any distro I have seen, attempting to search for an install candidate for OpenOffice maps you on to LibreOffice, usually silently.

Rory

> I’ve been on the Tomcat users list for a decade and the experts there are really only helpful when users have installed Apache binaries and not a Linux vendor distribution which is sometimes rearranged. If you want the latest security you want an Apache distribution and not a vendor’s.
>
> I can’t speak for how Apache HTTPD approaches this.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 14, 2018, at 7:13 AM, FR web forum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello team,
> > Since fork, only LibO is provided as office suite in Linux repositories.
> > Apache sets some projects like tomcat or httpd as packages.
> > Why not for AOO?

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

and some more additions.

it is not easy to package Apache OpenOffice under the rules of most of
the distribution, like Opensuse, Fedora/CentOS Debian and Ubuntu.

You have to do much work for this. Also you have to provide fixes for
security and other important issues

In the case of Debian you have to build against the system libraries and
other packages. It needs support over minimum 4 years support for a version.

I think we didn't have the (wo)men power to do so. First we had to show
that we as the community can periodically provide an actual and secure
version of AOO.

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Rory

Am 14.01.2018 um 19:15 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 09:56:32 -0800 Dave Fisher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The Linux distributors made their own choice. If my recollection is
>> correct some of them directly supported LibO development.
>

> I felt it was a manifestation of the religious war that led to the
> LibreOffice split.
>
> Note that on any distro I have seen, attempting to search for an
> install candidate for OpenOffice maps you on to LibreOffice, usually
> silently.
I hadn't seen any distro that took the code of OpenOffce.org and built
it for itself. Every distro created many many patches to build it under
the rules of the distro, with the risk of individual issues. I saw many
of such issues at that time.

They had their own repository to manage their own patches and versions
of libraries the had to package themselves too.

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Peter Kovacs-2
Arch Linux provides AOO as community package.
Gentoo looks like they provide a package too. (Currently the package service is down, so I could not check their repo. I do not have any Gentoo box active at this point.)

Please keep also in mind that we are recommend to download only from our site.
We need to rework this if we want allow other to distribution lines.

I think this is not easy to do for its own reasons. I would like to get back into official repos one day but I believe we have to do some other stuff first. So for me it is one topic further down on my lengthy to do list.

Am 14. Januar 2018 19:40:47 MEZ schrieb Mechtilde <[hidden email]>:

>Hello Rory
>
>Am 14.01.2018 um 19:15 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>> On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 09:56:32 -0800 Dave Fisher
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The Linux distributors made their own choice. If my recollection is
>>> correct some of them directly supported LibO development.
>>

>> I felt it was a manifestation of the religious war that led to the
>> LibreOffice split.
>>
>> Note that on any distro I have seen, attempting to search for an
>> install candidate for OpenOffice maps you on to LibreOffice, usually
>> silently.
>
>I hadn't seen any distro that took the code of OpenOffce.org and built
>it for itself. Every distro created many many patches to build it under
>the rules of the distro, with the risk of individual issues. I saw many
>of such issues at that time.
>
>They had their own repository to manage their own patches and versions
>of libraries the had to package themselves too.
>
>Kind regards

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

FR web forum
> I think this is not easy to do for its own reasons. I would like to
> get back into official repos one day but I believe we have to do
> some other stuff first. So for me it is one topic further down on my
> lengthy to do list.

Sure, I think that it was easy, it would have been done.

But if professionals choose Linux, it is quite likely that the office remains will not be AOO.
For example, next year, Barcelona will switch to opensource:
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3024394/barcelona-to-ditch-microsoft-in-favour-of-open-source-software

Am 15.01.2018 um 16:04 schrieb FR web forum:
>> I think this is not easy to do for its own reasons. I would like to
>> get back into official repos one day but I believe we have to do
>> some other stuff first. So for me it is one topic further down on my
>> lengthy to do list.
>
> Sure, I think that it was easy, it would have been done.

If you think it is easy to do then do it.

Do you have the experience to build for the distroburion's rules?

> But if professionals choose Linux, it is quite likely that the office remains will not be AOO.
> For example, next year, Barcelona will switch to opensource:
> https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3024394/barcelona-to-ditch-microsoft-in-favour-of-open-source-software

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

Matthias Seidel
Am 15.01.2018 um 16:20 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Hello,
>

> Am 15.01.2018 um 16:04 schrieb FR web forum:
>>> I think this is not easy to do for its own reasons. I would like to
>>> get back into official repos one day but I believe we have to do
>>> some other stuff first. So for me it is one topic further down on my
>>> lengthy to do list.
>> Sure, I think that it was easy, it would have been done.

I *think* there is missing an "if"?

Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Why Linux distros don't carrying AOO?

FR web forum
> If you think it is easy to do then do it.
Please do not misunderstand me: I did not say that.

Am 15.01.2018 um 16:28 schrieb FR web forum:
>> If you think it is easy to do then do it.
> Please do not misunderstand me: I did not say that.

Sorry Matthias gave the right hint

Kind regard