Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

I've begun the long overdue task of porting AOO to 64 bit Windows.

With my changes so far, oowintool can now detect (the 64 bit only) Java
1.9, dmake can now compile in Cygwin64, ./configure and ./bootstrap
complete successfully, and (with uncommitted patches) both dmake and gbuild
modules manage to compile, link, and deliver 64 bit binaries :-).

My progress will be documented on https://wiki.openoffice.org/
wiki/Win64_port and a blog entry might also be nice (how do you post to our
blog?).

One notable change in my (as yet uncommitted) patches will require the
Windows bitness to match the build bitness, ie. a 32 bit build will require
32 bit Windows, and a 64 bit build will require 64 bit Windows. Why? Our
configure.ac does not support cross-compilation at all, explicitly checking
for it and deliberately failing ./configure. It is not possible to build 32
bit builds on 64 bit hosts, or vice versa, on any operating system, and
probably never was (the temporary special case of building 32 bit AOO on
Windows 64, only worked because 32 bit x86 was hardcoded for Windows, and
will end).

Also, due to the fact MSVC implements compiling to different bitness using
compilers in different paths, supporting both a 32 and 64 bit build will
require that we stop searching $PATH for the compiler (cl.exe), and either
autodetect it through "oowintool --msvc-productdir" or, failing that, by
passing a --with-cl-home option to ./configure. Whether our $with_cl_home
arrived from oowintool or the --with-cl-home option, we will use:
* $with_cl_home/bin/cl.exe on x86 hosts
* $with_cl_home/bin/amd64/cl.exe on x86_64 hosts

While the progress I've made [in 1 weekend ;-)] is impressive, I imagine a
full port to Win64 will be long (assembly language development for the
Win64 UNO bridge, code audit for long <-> pointer conversions which work on
*nix64 but not on Win64), and you best get a 32 bit Windows if you plan to
build the stable 32 bit AOO in the meanwhile. Please prepare yourselves.

Alternatively, it should be possible to explicitly support compiling 32 bit
AOO binaries on Win64 with additional work (it essentially comes down to
the CPU and CPUNAME environment variables, and maybe some hacks to
set_soenv.in's COMPATH, ILIB and PATH); the changes involved should be
modest. But how much does this matter to people, and who is willing to help
implement it?

Damjan

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Patricia Shanahan

On 3/4/2018 7:41 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> While the progress I've made [in 1 weekend ;-)] is impressive, I imagine a
> full port to Win64 will be long (assembly language development for the
> Win64 UNO bridge, code audit for long <-> pointer conversions which work on
> *nix64 but not on Win64), and you best get a 32 bit Windows if you plan to
> build the stable 32 bit AOO in the meanwhile. Please prepare yourselves.

Can you do the 64-bit work in a branch, so that the trunk goes on being
buildable until we can switch to 64-bit?

> Alternatively, it should be possible to explicitly support compiling 32 bit
> AOO binaries on Win64 with additional work (it essentially comes down to
> the CPU and CPUNAME environment variables, and maybe some hacks to
> set_soenv.in's COMPATH, ILIB and PATH); the changes involved should be
> modest. But how much does this matter to people, and who is willing to help
> implement it?

Once the 64-bit version works, I will have very little interest in the
32-bit version.

I will take a break from AOO from the time the current 32-bit building
stops working until the 64-bit version works, so I would like to see
that time kept as short as possible.

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
If important contributors like Patricia are going to stop contributing in
the interim if the 64->32 bit cross compiling goes away, then it's a bad
idea.

If I do the work in a separate branch, we lose the benefit of broader
testing of the 32 bit build with the changes during the port, and could
have lots of issues when the branch gets merged.

But there is a simple way to both keep the 64->32 bit building working
while making the 64 bit changes in trunk, and still get the benefits of
testing. The changes involved to enable the 64 bit build environment amount
to 1 relatively small patch affecting only 5 files, and without this patch
it will still build 32 bit binaries on 64 bit Windows. Thus this patch can
be maintained out-of-tree while patching modules to build on Win64, and
those building without this patch will end up automatically testing whether
any of the (small and relatively safe) module changes broke the Win32 build.

On 3/4/2018 11:27 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> But there is a simple way to both keep the 64->32 bit building working
> while making the 64 bit changes in trunk, and still get the benefits of
> testing. The changes involved to enable the 64 bit build environment amount
> to 1 relatively small patch affecting only 5 files, and without this patch
> it will still build 32 bit binaries on 64 bit Windows. Thus this patch can
> be maintained out-of-tree while patching modules to build on Win64, and
> those building without this patch will end up automatically testing whether
> any of the (small and relatively safe) module changes broke the Win32 build.

In general, I favor keeping things checked in, but in keep the patch
that breaks 64->32 in its own branch. The remaining changes can go in
the trunk.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Pedro Giffuni
Hi Damjan;

I personally think it would be better to start by upgrading MSVC, but in
any case...
Here are some hints from LibreOffice:

http://tml-blog.blogspot.com.co/2011/03/

Cheers,

Pedro.

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Keith N. McKenna

> On 3/4/2018 11:27 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>> But there is a simple way to both keep the 64->32 bit building working
>> while making the 64 bit changes in trunk, and still get the benefits of
>> testing. The changes involved to enable the 64 bit build environment
>> amount
>> to 1 relatively small patch affecting only 5 files, and without this
>> patch
>> it will still build 32 bit binaries on 64 bit Windows. Thus this patch
>> can
>> be maintained out-of-tree while patching modules to build on Win64, and
>> those building without this patch will end up automatically testing
>> whether
>> any of the (small and relatively safe) module changes broke the Win32
>> build.
>
> In general, I favor keeping things checked in, but in keep the patch
> that breaks 64->32 in its own branch. The remaining changes can go in
> the trunk.
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com
Speaking with my process engineers hat on this sounds like the best
alternative for the time being. It allows the Windows build bots to
continue to create binaries that can be used for testing on any Windows
system supported by the project as well as maintaining revision control
on the 64 bit patch.

Regards
Keith

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/4/2018 11:27 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>
>> But there is a simple way to both keep the 64->32 bit building working
>> while making the 64 bit changes in trunk, and still get the benefits of
>> testing. The changes involved to enable the 64 bit build environment
>> amount
>> to 1 relatively small patch affecting only 5 files, and without this patch
>> it will still build 32 bit binaries on 64 bit Windows. Thus this patch can
>> be maintained out-of-tree while patching modules to build on Win64, and
>> those building without this patch will end up automatically testing
>> whether
>> any of the (small and relatively safe) module changes broke the Win32
>> build.

> In general, I favor keeping things checked in, but in keep the patch that
> breaks 64->32 in its own branch. The remaining changes can go in the trunk.

The patch affects 4 files and is only 254 lines long in total, so I've just
placed it into main/solenv/win64/win64.patch together with a readme file
referring people to the wiki page (
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Win64_port) where I've described how to
apply it and start the Win64 build.

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Matthias Seidel
Hi Damjan,

I think your last commit [1] breaks the Win32 build:

"ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
/cygdrive/c/Source/aoo/main/cppuhelper/source" in my local build.

See a more detailed log from our buildbot:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/main/cppuhelper/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/source.txt

Regards,

  Matthias

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1826398

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Matthias Seidel
Hi Damjan,

Maybe you already have seen it (buildbot revision 1826428):

"ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
/cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/svtools/prj"

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt

Regards,

   Matthias

> Hi Damjan,
>
> I think your last commit [1] breaks the Win32 build:
>
> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
> /cygdrive/c/Source/aoo/main/cppuhelper/source" in my local build.
>
> See a more detailed log from our buildbot:
>
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/main/cppuhelper/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/source.txt
>
> Regards,
>
>   Matthias
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1826398
>

> Am 05.03.2018 um 21:19 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

>>> In general, I favor keeping things checked in, but in keep the patch that
>>> breaks 64->32 in its own branch. The remaining changes can go in the trunk.
>>>

>> The patch affects 4 files and is only 254 lines long in total, so I've just
>> placed it into main/solenv/win64/win64.patch together with a readme file
>> referring people to the wiki page (
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Win64_port) where I've described how to
>> apply it and start the Win64 build.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

Now I prefer the idea of still continuing to support cross-building of
AOO32 on Win64. AOO64 would be built opt-in (at least for now), by passing
an --enable-win64 flag to ./configure that enables building AOO64 on Win64,
but without that flag the traditional AOO32 would still be cross-built.
This will make testing AOO64 by others easier, testing AOO32 by me easier,
and lead to less conflicts with other changes on affected build files.

I almost have a patch ready that does this, and when I commit it, I'll use
it to work on fixing the currently broken AOO32.

Damjan

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:19 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/4/2018 11:27 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>>
>>> But there is a simple way to both keep the 64->32 bit building working
>>> while making the 64 bit changes in trunk, and still get the benefits of
>>> testing. The changes involved to enable the 64 bit build environment
>>> amount
>>> to 1 relatively small patch affecting only 5 files, and without this
>>> patch
>>> it will still build 32 bit binaries on 64 bit Windows. Thus this patch
>>> can
>>> be maintained out-of-tree while patching modules to build on Win64, and
>>> those building without this patch will end up automatically testing
>>> whether
>>> any of the (small and relatively safe) module changes broke the Win32
>>> build.

>> In general, I favor keeping things checked in, but in keep the patch that
>> breaks 64->32 in its own branch. The remaining changes can go in the trunk.
>>

> The patch affects 4 files and is only 254 lines long in total, so I've
> just placed it into main/solenv/win64/win64.patch together with a readme
> file referring people to the wiki page (https://wiki.openoffice.org/
> wiki/Win64_port) where I've described how to apply it and start the Win64
> build.

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

Thank you.

Fiddling with the main/cppuhelper/source/makefile.mk to reintroduce the map
file while keeping the other changes did not help, so it doesn't seem like
a case of exporting a symbol that wasn't exported before.

I've reverted all the changes to main/cppuhelper in r1826602 while I
investigate further. This should hopefully get AOO building again.

Oddly I think only the Windows build was affected by this.

Damjan

Am 13.03.2018 um 04:19 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> Hi
>
> Thank you.
>
> Fiddling with the main/cppuhelper/source/makefile.mk to reintroduce the map
> file while keeping the other changes did not help, so it doesn't seem like
> a case of exporting a symbol that wasn't exported before.
>
> I've reverted all the changes to main/cppuhelper in r1826602 while I
> investigate further. This should hopefully get AOO building again.
Unfortunately not:

ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
/cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/cppuhelper/source

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt

> Oddly I think only the Windows build was affected by this.

Yes, it seems to be Windows only.

Regards,
   Matthias

> Damjan
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> Maybe you already have seen it (buildbot revision 1826428):
>>
>> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>> /cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/svtools/prj"
>>
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi Damjan,
>>>
>>> I think your last commit [1] breaks the Win32 build:
>>>
>>> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>>> /cygdrive/c/Source/aoo/main/cppuhelper/source" in my local build.
>>>
>>> See a more detailed log from our buildbot:
>>>
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> win/main/cppuhelper/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/source.txt
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>   Matthias
>>>
>>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1826398

>> of
>> patch
>> patch can
>> and

>> that
>> trunk.

>> just

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
I've added back the deleted map file I forgot to revert, and have forced a
rebuild on the Windows bot.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]

Am 13.03.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> I've added back the deleted map file I forgot to revert, and have forced a
> rebuild on the Windows bot.

Thanks!
Looks good so far, my local build is far beyond the point where the
error occurred. ;-)

I know you are very busy at the moment, but could you have a quick look at:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127731

Regards,
   Matthias

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>> Am 13.03.2018 um 04:19 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Fiddling with the main/cppuhelper/source/makefile.mk to reintroduce the
>> map
>>> file while keeping the other changes did not help, so it doesn't seem
>> like
>>> a case of exporting a symbol that wasn't exported before.
>>>
>>> I've reverted all the changes to main/cppuhelper in r1826602 while I
>>> investigate further. This should hopefully get AOO building again.
>> Unfortunately not:
>>
>> ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>> /cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/cppuhelper/source
>>
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt
>>
>>> Oddly I think only the Windows build was affected by this.
>> Yes, it seems to be Windows only.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Damjan

>> working
>> Win32

>> file

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
That's good :).

I tried to look at 127731, but in the process discovered a far worse issue:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127732

Damjan

Am 14.03.2018 um 05:04 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> That's good :).
>
> I tried to look at 127731, but in the process discovered a far worse issue:
> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127732

If you uninstall AOO, is everything back to normal?

Matthias

> Damjan
>

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:15 PM, Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 13.03.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>>> I've added back the deleted map file I forgot to revert, and have forced
>>> rebuild on the Windows bot.
>> Thanks!
>> Looks good so far, my local build is far beyond the point where the
>> error occurred. ;-)
>>
>> I know you are very busy at the moment, but could you have a quick look at:
>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127731
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Matthias Seidel <
>> [hidden email]

>> the

>> benefits
>> environment
>> this
>> Win64,
>> testing

>> patch
>> the
>> I've
>> how

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Matthias Seidel
Next one! ;-)

With revision 1827456 I get:

ERROR: ERROR: Missing files
in function: remove_Files_Without_Sourcedirectory
... analyzing files ...
preparing 1 extension blob for language en-US:
    dict-en.oxt
preparing 0 bundled extensions for language en-US:
ERROR: The following files could not be found:
ERROR: File not found: reg3.dll
... cleaning the output tree ...
... removing directory /tmp/ooopackaging/i_56081521752452 ...
Error: ERROR: Missing files
in function: remove_Files_Without_Sourcedirectorystopping log at Thu Mar
dmake:  Error code 255, while making 'openoffice_en-US.msi'

This seems to be Windows only.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 13.03.2018 um 04:19 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> Hi
>
> Thank you.
>
> Fiddling with the main/cppuhelper/source/makefile.mk to reintroduce the map
> file while keeping the other changes did not help, so it doesn't seem like
> a case of exporting a symbol that wasn't exported before.
>
> I've reverted all the changes to main/cppuhelper in r1826602 while I
> investigate further. This should hopefully get AOO building again.
>
> Oddly I think only the Windows build was affected by this.
>
> Damjan
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> Maybe you already have seen it (buildbot revision 1826428):
>>
>> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>> /cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/svtools/prj"
>>
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi Damjan,
>>>
>>> I think your last commit [1] breaks the Win32 build:
>>>
>>> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>>> /cygdrive/c/Source/aoo/main/cppuhelper/source" in my local build.
>>>
>>> See a more detailed log from our buildbot:
>>>
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>> win/main/cppuhelper/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/source.txt
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>   Matthias
>>>
>>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1826398

>> of
>> patch
>> patch can
>> and

>> that
>> trunk.

>> just

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Matthias Seidel
Correction, BuildBot says Revision 1827459.

Regards,

  Matthias

> Next one! ;-)
>
> With revision 1827456 I get:

> ERROR: ERROR: Missing files
> in function: remove_Files_Without_Sourcedirectory
> ... analyzing files ...
> preparing 1 extension blob for language en-US:
>     dict-en.oxt
> preparing 0 bundled extensions for language en-US:
> ERROR: The following files could not be found:
> ERROR: File not found: reg3.dll
> ... cleaning the output tree ...
> ... removing directory /tmp/ooopackaging/i_56081521752452 ...
> Error: ERROR: Missing files
> in function: remove_Files_Without_Sourcedirectorystopping log at Thu Mar
> dmake:  Error code 255, while making 'openoffice_en-US.msi'
>
> This seems to be Windows only.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

> Am 13.03.2018 um 04:19 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Fiddling with the main/cppuhelper/source/makefile.mk to reintroduce the map
>> file while keeping the other changes did not help, so it doesn't seem like
>> a case of exporting a symbol that wasn't exported before.
>>
>> I've reverted all the changes to main/cppuhelper in r1826602 while I
>> investigate further. This should hopefully get AOO building again.
>>
>> Oddly I think only the Windows build was affected by this.
>>
>> Damjan
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Damjan,
>>>
>>> Maybe you already have seen it (buildbot revision 1826428):
>>>
>>> "ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making
>>> /cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/svtools/prj"
>>>
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/
>>> win/main/svtools/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

>>> win/main/cppuhelper/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/source.txt

>>> of
>>> patch
>>> patch can
>>> and

>>> that
>>> trunk.
>>> just

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Win64 port started, and how building 32 bit AOO on Win64 could break soon

Damjan Jovanovic
I think I fixed this in 1827695.

Windows still won't build due to a problem in jvmaccess that I am still
investigating.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]

Am 25.03.2018 um 09:16 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:
> I think I fixed this in 1827695.

Thanks!

> Windows still won't build due to a problem in jvmaccess that I am still
> investigating.

Yes, I think that came with revision 1827615:

make: *** No rule to make target '/cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/solver/420/wntmsci12.pro/workdir/CxxObject/jvmaccess/source/unovirtualmachine.o', needed by '/cygdrive/e/slave14/aoo-win7/build/main/solver/420/wntmsci12.pro/workdir/LinkTarget/Library/ijvmaccess.lib'.  Stop.
dmake:  Error code 2, while making 'all'

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/main/jvmaccess/wntmsci12.pro/misc/logs/prj.txt