Windows developent plan

12

Windows developent plan

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi all,

I would like to bring up 2 future issues we will have.
# Java : Soon Java 8 will run out of support. Do we need to "migrate" to
9 for 4.2.0?

# If so it would mean for windows that we need to migrate to 64 bit.

# The MSVC2008 will run out in April. We need to upgrade here too.

In what order would make it sense to tackle those Issues?

1) 64 transformation
2) upgrade from MSVC2008
3) upgrade code base to Java 9

?

We need to make a plan, any further thoughts?

Re: Windows developent plan

Marcus (OOo)
Am 07.02.2018 um 22:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> I would like to bring up 2 future issues we will have.
> # Java : Soon Java 8 will run out of support. Do we need to "migrate" to
> 9 for 4.2.0?
>
> # If so it would mean for windows that we need to migrate to 64 bit.
>
> # The MSVC2008 will run out in April. We need to upgrade here too.
>
> In what order would make it sense to tackle those Issues?
>
> 1) 64 transformation
> 2) upgrade from MSVC2008
> 3) upgrade code base to Java 9

if you really want to limit to these 3 topics only, than I would tackle
it in the following order:

1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
This seems to be the easiest task (hopefully) as an updated build needs
to be tested only.

2. Upgrade to Java 9
Even here I would expect an short list of todos due to the migration.

3. Win 64-bit porting
This is for sure a complete new experience. Also, I would accept a 4.2.0
release still with Win 32-bit. And a future release than with Win 64-bit.

A possible alternative could be the following:

1. Upgrade from MSVC2008

2. Upgrade to Java 9

3. Keep Windows 32-bit with Java 8

4. Windows 64-bit transformation + Java 9

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Re: Windows developent plan

Peter Kovacs-3
Thats the points I am aware of. Are there more Windows specific points?

On 08.02.2018 00:22, Marcus wrote:

> Am 07.02.2018 um 22:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> I would like to bring up 2 future issues we will have.
>> # Java : Soon Java 8 will run out of support. Do we need to "migrate"
>> to 9 for 4.2.0?
>>
>> # If so it would mean for windows that we need to migrate to 64 bit.
>>
>> # The MSVC2008 will run out in April. We need to upgrade here too.
>>
>> In what order would make it sense to tackle those Issues?
>>
>> 1) 64 transformation
>> 2) upgrade from MSVC2008
>> 3) upgrade code base to Java 9
>
> if you really want to limit to these 3 topics only, than I would
> tackle it in the following order:
>
> 1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
> This seems to be the easiest task (hopefully) as an updated build
> needs to be tested only.
>
> 2. Upgrade to Java 9
> Even here I would expect an short list of todos due to the migration.
>
> 3. Win 64-bit porting
> This is for sure a complete new experience. Also, I would accept a
> 4.2.0 release still with Win 32-bit. And a future release than with
> Win 64-bit.
>
> A possible alternative could be the following:
>
> 1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
>
> 2. Upgrade to Java 9
>
> 3. Keep Windows 32-bit with Java 8
>
> 4. Windows 64-bit transformation + Java 9
>
> My 2 ct.
>
> Marcus

Re: Windows developent plan

Pedro Lino-3

> Thats the points I am aware of. Are there more Windows specific points?

Does upgrade from MSVC2008 mean dropping support for Win XP? The recently released LO 6.0 32bit requires at least Windows 7...

Re: Windows developent plan

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

I prefor the second order Marcus posted:

1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
2. Upgrade to Java 9
3. Keep Windows 32-bit with Java 8
4. Windows 64-bit transformation + Java 9

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 08.02.2018 um 00:22 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 07.02.2018 um 22:13 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> I would like to bring up 2 future issues we will have.
>> # Java : Soon Java 8 will run out of support. Do we need to "migrate"
>> to 9 for 4.2.0?
>>
>> # If so it would mean for windows that we need to migrate to 64 bit.
>>
>> # The MSVC2008 will run out in April. We need to upgrade here too.
>>
>> In what order would make it sense to tackle those Issues?
>>
>> 1) 64 transformation
>> 2) upgrade from MSVC2008
>> 3) upgrade code base to Java 9
>
> if you really want to limit to these 3 topics only, than I would tackle
> it in the following order:
>
> 1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
> This seems to be the easiest task (hopefully) as an updated build needs
> to be tested only.
>
> 2. Upgrade to Java 9
> Even here I would expect an short list of todos due to the migration.
>
> 3. Win 64-bit porting
> This is for sure a complete new experience. Also, I would accept a 4.2.0
> release still with Win 32-bit. And a future release than with Win 64-bit.
>
> A possible alternative could be the following:
>
> 1. Upgrade from MSVC2008
>
> 2. Upgrade to Java 9
>
> 3. Keep Windows 32-bit with Java 8
>
> 4. Windows 64-bit transformation + Java 9
>
> My 2 ct.
>
> Marcus

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Windows developent plan

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

I would guess it.

If someone still have a Win-XP system can test if it also works on Win
XP. But Win XP is end of live for a long time.

User can use 4.1.5 as long as they use Win XP.

Kind regards

Am 08.02.2018 um 00:58 schrieb Pedro Lino:

>> Thats the points I am aware of. Are there more Windows specific points?
>
> Does upgrade from MSVC2008 mean dropping support for Win XP? The recently released LO 6.0 32bit requires at least Windows 7...

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Windows developent plan

Peter Kovacs-3
According to ReactOS team MSVC 2010 still supports WinXP target.
I say we should keep the WinXP support up as long as the ReactOS team
does not support WinNT5 binaries.
It is a good and sound strategy, we would promote another OpenSource
Project.

I think build additional legacy WinXP binary will not hurt us, and it
might be not so much more work. We could explain this if we are
releasing 4.2.0 before ReactOS has made the transition.
That would fit to our strategy in Total. We also do support AmigaOS and
OS/2 warp inofficially. Maybe it would bring us sympathy from another
Community if we promote their target.
Do you agree on the strategy or do you think it would cost us to much
workload?

I have found 2 more Windows action Items I forgot about:

a) MSI installer
b) signed install binary.

Do you think these Items should be trackked too?
If so where should they be on our list?

On 08.02.2018 07:35, Mechtilde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would guess it.
>
> If someone still have a Win-XP system can test if it also works on Win
> XP. But Win XP is end of live for a long time.
>
> User can use 4.1.5 as long as they use Win XP.
>
> Kind regards
>

> Am 08.02.2018 um 00:58 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>
>>> Thats the points I am aware of. Are there more Windows specific points?
>> Does upgrade from MSVC2008 mean dropping support for Win XP? The recently released LO 6.0 32bit requires at least Windows 7...

Re: Re: Windows developent plan

Stuart Swales
You can specify a toolchain even in MSVC2017 to use such that the
compiled exe still works on Windows XP; I do this for my own work as I
see no reason to arbitrarily disbar its use on older systems - it's up
to each user to decide whether to upgrade or not.

Stuart

--
Stuart Swales

Re: Windows developent plan

Marcus (OOo)
Am 08.02.2018 um 21:14 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> According to ReactOS team MSVC 2010 still supports WinXP target.
> I say we should keep the WinXP support up as long as the ReactOS team
> does not support WinNT5 binaries.

OK, when we can combine 1) a compatible and still supported MSVC and 2)
it's still possible to use OpenOffice with WinXP, then sure let's do it.

> It is a good and sound strategy, we would promote another OpenSource
> Project.
>
> I think build additional legacy WinXP binary will not hurt us, and it

Ahm, I hope this is a typo. I don't want to have separate binaries just
for WinXP and all newer Windows versions. ;-)

> might be not so much more work. We could explain this if we are
> releasing 4.2.0 before ReactOS has made the transition.
> That would fit to our strategy in Total. We also do support AmigaOS and
> OS/2 warp inofficially. Maybe it would bring us sympathy from another

Inofficially means concrete: We can bring in fixes into SVN, so that
others are able to build on other platforms like OS/2. But that is all
as building and distribution is happening outside of the ASF.

> Community if we promote their target.
> Do you agree on the strategy or do you think it would cost us to much
> workload?

Like I wrote above, let's do it if we can have it for a cheap "price".

> I have found 2 more Windows action Items I forgot about:
>
> a) MSI installer

We have already a MSI installation. What exactly do you have in mind?

> b) signed install binary.
>
> Do you think these Items should be trackked too?
> If so where should they be on our list?

Even when signing is complicated as at the moment we need to start at
zero (analysis and development) it's the top priority as it would show a
much better integration into modern Windows releases.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

> On 08.02.2018 07:35, Mechtilde wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would guess it.
>>
>> If someone still have a Win-XP system can test if it also works on Win
>> XP. But Win XP is end of live for a long time.
>>
>> User can use 4.1.5 as long as they use Win XP.
>>
>> Kind regards

>>> Does upgrade from MSVC2008 mean dropping support for Win XP? The
>>> recently released LO 6.0 32bit requires at least Windows 7...

Re: Windows developent plan

Keith N. McKenna
On 2/8/2018 6:25 PM, Marcus wrote:

> Am 08.02.2018 um 21:14 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> According to ReactOS team MSVC 2010 still supports WinXP target.
>> I say we should keep the WinXP support up as long as the ReactOS team
>> does not support WinNT5 binaries.
>
> OK, when we can combine 1) a compatible and still supported MSVC and 2)
> it's still possible to use OpenOffice with WinXP, then sure let's do it.
>
>> It is a good and sound strategy, we would promote another OpenSource
>> Project.
>>
>> I think build additional legacy WinXP binary will not hurt us, and it
>
> Ahm, I hope this is a typo. I don't want to have separate binaries just
> for WinXP and all newer Windows versions. ;-)
If we are to upgrade to Java 9 for windows by default wouldn't we have
to make separate builds for all 32 bit versions of Windows as Oracle did
not release a 32 bit version of Java 9?

Am 09.02.2018 um 06:13 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 2/8/2018 6:25 PM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 08.02.2018 um 21:14 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> According to ReactOS team MSVC 2010 still supports WinXP target.
>>> I say we should keep the WinXP support up as long as the ReactOS team
>>> does not support WinNT5 binaries.
>>
>> OK, when we can combine 1) a compatible and still supported MSVC and 2)
>> it's still possible to use OpenOffice with WinXP, then sure let's do it.
>>
>>> It is a good and sound strategy, we would promote another OpenSource
>>> Project.
>>>
>>> I think build additional legacy WinXP binary will not hurt us, and it
>>
>> Ahm, I hope this is a typo. I don't want to have separate binaries just
>> for WinXP and all newer Windows versions. ;-)
>
> If we are to upgrade to Java 9 for windows by default wouldn't we have
> to make separate builds for all 32 bit versions of Windows as Oracle did
> not release a 32 bit version of Java 9?

maybe, but it's about WinXP. Here we shouldn't create a special build.

Marcus

>>> might be not so much more work. We could explain this if we are
>>> releasing 4.2.0 before ReactOS has made the transition.
>>> That would fit to our strategy in Total. We also do support AmigaOS
>>> and OS/2 warp inofficially. Maybe it would bring us sympathy from another
>>
>> Inofficially means concrete: We can bring in fixes into SVN, so that
>> others are able to build on other platforms like OS/2. But that is all
>> as building and distribution is happening outside of the ASF.
>>
>>> Community if we promote their target.
>>> Do you agree on the strategy or do you think it would cost us to much
>>> workload?
>>
>> Like I wrote above, let's do it if we can have it for a cheap "price".
>>
>>> I have found 2 more Windows action Items I forgot about:
>>>
>>> a) MSI installer
>>
>> We have already a MSI installation. What exactly do you have in mind?
>>
>>> b) signed install binary.
>>>
>>> Do you think these Items should be trackked too?
>>> If so where should they be on our list?
>>
>> Even when signing is complicated as at the moment we need to start at
>> zero (analysis and development) it's the top priority as it would show a
>> much better integration into modern Windows releases.
>>
>> My 2 ct.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Windows developent plan

Peter Kovacs-3
It was only an idea. No special build we just keep the target.

How about update to the MSVC2017?

Am 09.02.2018 um 22:44 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> It was only an idea. No special build we just keep the target.
>
> How about update to the MSVC2017?

we simple have to try which version is the most recent to get the fewest
problems. When it fits then we can use it. ;-)

Marcus

> On 09.02.2018 22:07, Marcus wrote:

>>> If we are to upgrade to Java 9 for windows by default wouldn't we have
>>> to make separate builds for all 32 bit versions of Windows as Oracle did
>>> not release a 32 bit version of Java 9?
>>
>> maybe, but it's about WinXP. Here we shouldn't create a special build.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Windows developent plan

Peter Kovacs-3
+1 sounds fair.

On 09.02.2018 00:25, Marcus wrote:

>> I have found 2 more Windows action Items I forgot about:
>>
>> a) MSI installer
>
> We have already a MSI installation. What exactly do you have in mind?

We had a discussion about special small update versions for Windows,
some time ago.
So only files needed to be downloaded that has realy changed.
Maybe we can include the steps necessary in our build infrastructure.

Re: Windows developent plan

Andrea Pescetti-2
Peter Kovacs wrote:
> We had a discussion about special small update versions for Windows,
> some time ago.

We had experimented with patches some years ago, but never released them
officially. Everything is documented at

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Building_installation_packages#Patches_on_Windows

Most of the work was done by Andre Fischer.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Windows developent plan

Pedro Lino-3

> > We had a discussion about special small update versions for Windows,
> > some time ago.
>
> We had experimented with patches some years ago, but never released them
> officially.

That would be a great evolution for AOO (LO has finally added that feature in version 6). In fact saving people from downloading a full installer would be useful on all OSes...

Another relevant change under Windows would be to get rid of the unpacking step that leaves an installation folder on the desktop (or manage to get the installer to delete the installation folder as the last step)

Re: Windows developent plan

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 15.02.2018 um 00:17 schrieb Pedro Lino:

>>> We had a discussion about special small update versions for Windows,
>>> some time ago.
>> We had experimented with patches some years ago, but never released them
>> officially.
> That would be a great evolution for AOO (LO has finally added that feature in version 6).

AFAIK that feature didn't make it into 6.0:
https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/ode_automatic_updater/

Regards, Matthias

>  In fact saving people from downloading a full installer would be useful on all OSes...
>
> Another relevant change under Windows would be to get rid of the unpacking step that leaves an installation folder on the desktop (or manage to get the installer to delete the installation folder as the last step)

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Windows developent plan

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

>         > > That would be a great evolution for AOO (LO has finally added that feature in version 6).
> >
> >     >     AFAIK that feature didn't make it into 6.0:
>     https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/ode_automatic_updater/

I read this version would include it but didn't confirm (I have switched to OpenOffice mostly) But it will eventually be added in 6.x

I believe partial updates are a major benefit for all users, especially those who have limited/expensive access to the Internet. Providing fixes/updates at a low cost is a critical contribution for breaking down the digital divide.

In addition automatic partial updates are better for inexperienced users since they only require a one time full install (usually performed by a friend/family who is more computer savvy)

Best,
Pedro

Re: Windows developent plan

FR web forum