Windows permissions

E Donnison
I have a Windows 98 data partition (not the OS) mounted on my Fedora /
filesystem as /WIN_D. Using OOo Writer, I can only write to the
documents in the My Documents folder as root.
Configuring the partition's permissions in /fstab with umask=000 has no
effect; unmounting and remounting the partition, as suggested in some
group threads, has no effect.
Any ideas, please? From the traffic in the groups, it appears to be a
common problem.
Thanks,
Ted Donnison.

Re: Windows permissions

Dan Lewis-6
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 12:01 pm, E Donnison wrote:

> I have a Windows 98 data partition (not the OS) mounted on my Fedora /
> filesystem as /WIN_D. Using OOo Writer, I can only write to the
> documents in the My Documents folder as root.
> Configuring the partition's permissions in /fstab with umask=000 has no
> effect; unmounting and remounting the partition, as suggested in some
> group threads, has no effect.
> Any ideas, please? From the traffic in the groups, it appears to be a
> common problem.
> Thanks,
> Ted Donnison.

When you do a "ls-l /", what do you get for WIN_D? It should be drwxrwxrwx. If
it is not, then you have not set up your permissions correctly. You might be
able to correct this by becoming root and doing the following:
chmod 777 /WIN_D

Dan

Re: Windows permissions

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 18:01 +0000, E Donnison wrote:

> I have a Windows 98 data partition (not the OS) mounted on my Fedora /
> filesystem as /WIN_D. Using OOo Writer, I can only write to the
> documents in the My Documents folder as root.
> Configuring the partition's permissions in /fstab with umask=000 has no
> effect; unmounting and remounting the partition, as suggested in some
> group threads, has no effect.
> Any ideas, please? From the traffic in the groups, it appears to be a
> common problem.
> Thanks,
> Ted Donnison.

This is way off topic for the OpenOffice.org users list. You really
should be asking on one of the redhat lists.  Mounting a filesystem is
controlled via /etc/fstab and you should have the mounting options
properly specified. Please read the manpage for mount(8)
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead