Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

QCIT3 MMisonora
Hi there,

I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would have to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel file with macros and it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Emma

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Andrew Pitonyak
On 2017-06-29 15:55, QCIT3 MMisonora wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets
> say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would
> have
> to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the
> macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel
> file with macros and it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma

It is very very unlikely that it would work because the internal object
models for manipulating a document are different. If all your macro does
is say print a number using the print statement or message box,
probably; but I hvae not tested it.

Andrew Pitonyak

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:55:55 +0000
QCIT3 MMisonora <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets say a spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would have to open that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the macros still work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel file with macros and it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma

Different underlying code engines, so different macro structures.  Use the one program on all computers if you expect macros to work.  There is no reliable workaround.

.-
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Would Macros Made In OpenOffice Work If Someone Opened It On Excel???????????????

Johnny Rosenberg

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new user to OpenOffice and was wondering if when I write lets say a
> spreadsheet with macros on it and sent to someone who would have to open
> that file in Excel cause they don't use OpenOffice, would the macros still
> work or would it not work like when one opens an Excel file with macros and
> it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emma

Most things related to Basic (the programming language) will work in Excel
too, but as soon as you want to do spreadsheet related things, it won't
work at all, unless you simulate all that UNO stuff by writing your own
objects for them in Excel, but you will need to create a lot of objects… :P

If Apache OpenOffice supported VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), then
you'd have to buy it, just like you buy MS Office.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg