Writer and .docx

12

Writer and .docx

Наталья Василенко
Hello! I would like to know is there any hope that users can save documents in Writer in .docx format? In the latest version of your OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot save in that format. I think it is not comfortable for many users with the fact that your product is very convenient in other options.
Could this feature be enabled in later versions of your product?

Thank you for your response.

Re: Writer and .docx

Peter Kovacs-3

Am 16.10.20 um 09:25 schrieb Наталья Василенко:
> Hello! I would like to know is there any hope that users can save documents in Writer in .docx format? In the latest version of your OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot save in that format. I think it is not comfortable for many users with the fact that your product is very convenient in other options.
> Could this feature be enabled in later versions of your product?
Yes we want to improve the capability to read and write documents
produced by Microsoft Office. However, our development community is made
up of volunteers working in their free time, next to a regular job.

We have no timeline when we will add this feature, but we know this
feature has a high demand within the user base of OpenOffice.

I do not expect that this feature will be imporved soon.

> Thank you for your response.
You are Welcome.

Re: Writer and .docx

Bidouille
> OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot
> save in that format.
Well, remember that last version of Microsoft Office (since 2016) can open ODT format.

Re: Writer and .docx

Simon Phipps-3
Hi!  As Peter said, it seems unlikely this branch of OpenOffice.org will be
enhanced with the ability to write .DOCX format. However, another branch
has added this capability and offers all the other convenient options you
mention as well. You can get it from our "sister" community at
https://libreoffice.org/download

Cheers

Simon

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:44 AM Наталья Василенко <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello! I would like to know is there any hope that users can save
> documents in Writer in .docx format? In the latest version of your
> OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot save
> in that format. I think it is not comfortable for many users with the fact
> that your product is very convenient in other options.
> Could this feature be enabled in later versions of your product?
>
> Thank you for your response.

Re: Writer and .docx

Joost Andrae-2
Hi Simon,

it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !

Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within OOo.

Document conversions do not necessarily need to be a native
implementation within AOO or LO.

Kind regards, Joost

Am 16.10.2020 um 12:16 schrieb Simon Phipps:

> Hi!  As Peter said, it seems unlikely this branch of OpenOffice.org will be
> enhanced with the ability to write .DOCX format. However, another branch
> has added this capability and offers all the other convenient options you
> mention as well. You can get it from our "sister" community at
> https://libreoffice.org/download
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:44 AM Наталья Василенко <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello! I would like to know is there any hope that users can save
>> documents in Writer in .docx format? In the latest version of your
>> OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot save
>> in that format. I think it is not comfortable for many users with the fact
>> that your product is very convenient in other options.
>> Could this feature be enabled in later versions of your product?
>>
>> Thank you for your response.

Re: Writer and .docx

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Joost,

I'm very happy to read from you.

Am 16.10.20 um 12:50 schrieb Joost Andrae:

> Hi Simon,
>
> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !
>
> Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within OOo.
I offer my help to test the implementation. sorry but I'm not a
programmer. So we as the project need help from Java programmers to work
on it and contribute it.

> Document conversions do not necessarily need to be a native
> implementation within AOO or LO.
>
> Kind regards, Joost

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Writer and .docx

Simon Phipps-3
Hi Joost!

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Joost Andrae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !

I've been a relatively active member here from the beginning!

Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within OOo.

That sounds an interesting new user feature. Rather than only using POI, a
pluggable approach that could also use libraries from the Document
Liberation Project https://www.documentliberation.org/ would be excellent.

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Writer and .docx

Joost Andrae-2
Hi Simon,

some developer just needs to try to implement this kind of approach.
Fortunately this developer doesn't really need to dive deeply into AOO
implementation details except creating an extension. From my knowlege
the Apache POI implementation is quite stable and it's used by a lot of
software projects since a longer time.

Best regards, Joost

Am 16.10.2020 um 13:05 schrieb Simon Phipps:

> Hi Joost!
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Joost Andrae <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !
>>

> I've been a relatively active member here from the beginning!
>
> Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
>> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
>> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
>> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
>> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
>> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
>> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within OOo.
>>

> That sounds an interesting new user feature. Rather than only using POI, a
> pluggable approach that could also use libraries from the Document
> Liberation Project https://www.documentliberation.org/ would be excellent.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

Re: Writer and .docx

Joost Andrae-2

regarding the documentliberation stuff:
I know some of those filters for a longer time. AFAIK these where
implementations from one of the Novell guys (Fridrich Strba as far as I
remember; see http://fridrich.blogspot.com/ )

Best, Joost

Am 16.10.2020 um 13:17 schrieb Joost Andrae:

> Hi Simon,
>
> some developer just needs to try to implement this kind of approach.
> Fortunately this developer doesn't really need to dive deeply into AOO
> implementation details except creating an extension. From my knowlege
> the Apache POI implementation is quite stable and it's used by a lot of
> software projects since a longer time.
>
> Best regards, Joost
>
> Am 16.10.2020 um 13:05 schrieb Simon Phipps:
>> Hi Joost!
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Joost Andrae <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !
>>>

>> I've been a relatively active member here from the beginning!
>>
>> Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
>>> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
>>> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
>>> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
>>> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
>>> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
>>> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within
>>> OOo.
>>>

>> That sounds an interesting new user feature. Rather than only using
>> POI, a
>> pluggable approach that could also use libraries from the Document
>> Liberation Project https://www.documentliberation.org/ would be
>> excellent.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Simon

Re: Writer and .docx

Simon Phipps-4
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Joost Andrae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> regarding the documentliberation stuff:
> I know some of those filters for a longer time. AFAIK these where
> implementations from one of the Novell guys (Fridrich Strba as far as I
> remember; see http://fridrich.blogspot.com/ )

Yes, DLP is his project.

S.

Re: Writer and .docx

Dave Fisher-3
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Joost,
>
> I'm very happy to read from you.
>
>> Am 16.10.20 um 12:50 schrieb Joost Andrae:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !
>>
>> Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
>> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
>> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
>> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
>> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
>> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
>> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within OOo.
>
> I offer my help to test the implementation. sorry but I'm not a
> programmer. So we as the project need help from Java programmers to work
> on it and contribute it.

I’m a PMC Member of Apache POI for over 12 years. My team donated the initial PowerPoint support and were involved in the initial support for OOXML.

POI is embedded into Apache SOLr and Tika along with commercial products. The project took over the dormant XMLBeans project and is releasing a 4.0 that supports modern Java.

An OSGi bundle of POI will be available in the next release if you build from source.

The Tika, POI, and PDFBox projects maintain a large regression corpus scraped from the internet using CommonCrawl. I’m sure that this could be shared in one way or another.

Regards,
Dave

>> Document conversions do not necessarily need to be a native
>> implementation within AOO or LO.
>>
>> Kind regards, Joost
>
> Kind regards
>

> --
> Mechtilde Stehmann
> ## Apache OpenOffice
> ## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
> ## Debian Developer
> ## PGP encryption welcome
> ## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: Writer and .docx

Damjan Jovanovic
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 16, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Joost,
> >
> > I'm very happy to read from you.
> >
> >> Am 16.10.20 um 12:50 schrieb Joost Andrae:
> >> Hi Simon,
> >>
> >> it's an honor to me to see a sign of life of you here. Welcome !
> >>
> >> Instead of user picking here to get users leave from AOO to LO a
> >> developer could create a Java based OOo/LO extension that uses Apache
> >> POI to export OpenDocument type documents to MSXML formats by using the
> >> binary MSO export to export those documents to the MSXML format in
> >> between. Or maybe it's possible to XSL this document format by using
> >> OpenOffice together with Apache POI. Using XSL scripts (in AOO menu item
> >> XML filter settings) to make document conversions is possible within
> OOo.
> >
> > I offer my help to test the implementation. sorry but I'm not a
> > programmer. So we as the project need help from Java programmers to work
> > on it and contribute it.
>
> I’m a PMC Member of Apache POI for over 12 years. My team donated the
> initial PowerPoint support and were involved in the initial support for
> OOXML.
>
> POI is embedded into Apache SOLr and Tika along with commercial products.
> The project took over the dormant XMLBeans project and is releasing a 4.0
> that supports modern Java.
>
> An OSGi bundle of POI will be available in the next release if you build
> from source.
>
> The Tika, POI, and PDFBox projects maintain a large regression corpus
> scraped from the internet using CommonCrawl. I’m sure that this could be
> shared in one way or another.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Hi

I did start writing a POI-based OOXML export filter for AOO some years ago
(search the dev mailing list), and got it to the point of being able to
save very basic spreadsheets (no formulas, no formatting, just text and
numbers).

There were several major problems with using POI.

Firstly the code in POI is at various stages of completeness. The legacy
XLS filter is very good, supports SAX parsing, etc. The DOC filter is
minimal and unmaintained. What we would need, the OOXML filter for at least
XLSX, is somewhere in between. AFAIK it only supports DOM parsing, meaning
everything needs to be in memory before it can be written to disk, so a big
spreadsheet could consume gigabytes of RAM during saving, and if you don't
have enough memory free, you can't save!

Also I do use POI at work, and it's outstanding for parsing spreadsheets
(it can even parse some that AOO can't), but it's very memory hungry. A
spreadsheet with 100000 rows consumed 6 GB of RAM, compared to 200 MB in LO
(30 times less). That isn't really POI's fault, Java has too much
per-object overhead and there are a great many objects in a spreadsheet
that big. So DOM + Java really do not add up to efficient memory usage. By
comparison, our current OOXML reading is not only SAX-based, but converts
XML tags to integers for faster comparisons and lower memory usage.

Finally AOO itself had limitations that made developing a filter in Java
difficult. Each sheet in a spreadsheet has 1 billion cells. Obviously only
a minority of these contain data - most are empty. In C++ there are special
iterators that can be used to access only the non-empty cells, but these
are not exposed to UNO, or through it, to Java. The only way to tell which
cells are in use is to iterate over all 1 billion cells (per sheet), which
is hopelessly slow.

Some of these problems can be solved. We can expose the cell iterators over
UNO. The memory usage might not matter that much in practice, and we could
patch POI to do SAX parsing/saving at a later stage. But users expect
fonts, styles, charts, images, custom formats, OLE, pivot tables, VBA
macros, form controls, mathematical formulas, change tracking, etc. all
saved losslessly and 100% compatible with Excel, which doesn't only require
work in the filter, but in the rest of AOO too, and POI probably doesn't
support all of those features either.

I might get back into this next month, especially if others want to
collaborate, but don't expect something generally usable, let alone
Excel-quality XSLX saving, any time soon.

Regards
Damjan

Re: Writer and .docx

Carl Marcum
Hi Damjan,

On 10/16/20 9:23 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> [...]
> a minority of these contain data - most are empty. In C++ there are special
> iterators that can be used to access only the non-empty cells, but these
> are not exposed to UNO, or through it, to Java. The only way to tell which
> cells are in use is to iterate over all 1 billion cells (per sheet), which
> is hopelessly slow.
>
> Some of these problems can be solved. We can expose the cell iterators over
> UNO. The memory usage might not matter that much in practice, and we could
> patch POI to do SAX parsing/saving at a later stage. But users expect
> fonts, styles, charts, images, custom formats, OLE, pivot tables, VBA
> macros, form controls, mathematical formulas, change tracking, etc. all
> saved losslessly and 100% compatible with Excel, which doesn't only require
> work in the filter, but in the rest of AOO too, and POI probably doesn't
I'm not sure if you've look at the newer Streaming Usermodel API SXSSF.
It may help for memory consumption in this case.

> I might get back into this next month, especially if others want to
> collaborate, but don't expect something generally usable, let alone
> Excel-quality XSLX saving, any time soon.
>
> Regards
> Damjan

Yes I'm definitely interested in collaborating on this.
Do you have a branch with your work in it?

Thanks,
Carl

Re: Writer and .docx

Damjan Jovanovic
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 4:24 PM Carl Marcum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> which
> > is hopelessly slow.
> >
> > Some of these problems can be solved. We can expose the cell iterators
> over
> > UNO. The memory usage might not matter that much in practice, and we
> could
> > patch POI to do SAX parsing/saving at a later stage. But users expect
> > fonts, styles, charts, images, custom formats, OLE, pivot tables, VBA
> > macros, form controls, mathematical formulas, change tracking, etc. all
> > saved losslessly and 100% compatible with Excel, which doesn't only
> require
> > work in the filter, but in the rest of AOO too, and POI probably doesn't
> > support all of those features either.
> I'm not sure if you've look at the newer Streaming Usermodel API SXSSF.
> It may help for memory consumption in this case.

Can SXSSF work with formulas that reference earlier cells?

> > I might get back into this next month, especially if others want to
> > collaborate, but don't expect something generally usable, let alone
> > Excel-quality XSLX saving, any time soon.
> >
> > Regards
> > Damjan
> >
> Yes I'm definitely interested in collaborating on this.
> Do you have a branch with your work in it?

It's been 5 years and the code is in bits and pieces, but I'll try to put
together a working branch over the weekend.

> Thanks,
> Carl

Thank you
Damjan

Re: Writer and .docx

Carl Marcum
<snip/>

>>> I might get back into this next month, especially if others want to
>>> collaborate, but don't expect something generally usable, let alone
>>> Excel-quality XSLX saving, any time soon.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Damjan
>>>
>> Yes I'm definitely interested in collaborating on this.
>> Do you have a branch with your work in it?
>>

> It's been 5 years and the code is in bits and pieces, but I'll try to put
> together a working branch over the weekend.

Whenever you have time.
Just let me know.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: Writer and .docx

Matthias Seidel
Hi Bidouille,

Am 16.10.20 um 11:49 schrieb Bidouille:
>> OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot
>> save in that format.
> Well, remember that last version of Microsoft Office (since 2016) can open ODT format.

Exactly, instead of promoting Microsoft formats we should better
encourage users to use ODF.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Writer and .docx

Peter Kovacs-3
I m also in support, whatever that is worth :)

Am 16.10.20 um 21:56 schrieb Carl Marcum:

> <snip/>

>>> Yes I'm definitely interested in collaborating on this.
>>> Do you have a branch with your work in it?
>>>

>> It's been 5 years and the code is in bits and pieces, but I'll try to
>> put
>> together a working branch over the weekend.
>
> Whenever you have time.
> Just let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

Re: Writer and .docx

Damjan Jovanovic
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Bidouille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot
> > save in that format.
> Well, remember that last version of Microsoft Office (since 2016) can open
> ODT format.

Unfortunately not all MS Office editions have ODT support, and many people
I sent ODT to complained they can't open it.

Re: Writer and .docx

Matthias Seidel
Hi Damjan,

Am 17.10.20 um 10:05 schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Bidouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot
>>> save in that format.
>> Well, remember that last version of Microsoft Office (since 2016) can open
>> ODT format.
>>

> Unfortunately not all MS Office editions have ODT support, and many people
> I sent ODT to complained they can't open it.
Acknowledged!

My point is that one should do the work in ODF and only export to
"foreign" formats if needed.

Export using POI was an idea we also got at ApacheCon Berlin in 2019.
Developing it as an extension would be the best for all.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Writer and .docx

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:05:45 +0200
Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Bidouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > OpenOffice users can open documents in .docx format, but they cannot
> > > save in that format.
> > Well, remember that last version of Microsoft Office (since 2016) can open
> > ODT format.
> >

> Unfortunately not all MS Office editions have ODT support, and many people
> I sent ODT to complained they can't open it.

Many MS Office users expect their File Associations to be set to allow them double click on a file to open it.  Few of them know the longer way.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

12