Writer table borders alignment

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi all,

I'm facing some troubles with the drawing of the borders of Writer
tables. In all the other cases of tables and intersections of 4 border,
the borders are centered, but not in Writer: the horizontal lines are
top-aligned.

This causes me some troubles to draw the nice intersections like the
ones in impress tables or Calc. Is there any reason for that? What are
the related problems? I know that Word is drawing it's table borders in
the same way... but that's no reason to mimic the same horrible
behaviour ;)

Best regards,

--
Cedric

Re: Writer table borders alignment

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems
Hi Cedric,

sorry for the long silence.

I hope I understand you correct.
Does "border are centered" mean that the border area is centered around
the cell borders?
Does "border are top-aligned" mean that the border area is at the top of
  the corresponding cell area?
I think that is what you meant. Right?

The borders in tables are given at each table cell. Thus, two adjacent
table cells can specify a border and these borders can be different.
The painting of table borders in Writer depends on ODF table attribute
table:border-model - see the corresponding specification text.
- table:border-model="separating"
The border given at each table cell is painted in the area of the table
cell - left-, top-, right- and bottom-aligned. This corresponds to W3C's
box model - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#img-boxdim
- table:border-model="collapsing"
One of the border style of two adjacent table cells wins and is painted
"centered".
For the horizonzal lines OOo Writer differs from the ODF specification.
As you already suggested, I also think the reason for this is the
interoperability to Microsoft Word's painting of table cell borders.

Best regards, Oliver.

On 03/18/10 20:56, Cédric Bosdonnat wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing some troubles with the drawing of the borders of Writer
> tables. In all the other cases of tables and intersections of 4 border,
> the borders are centered, but not in Writer: the horizontal lines are
> top-aligned.
>
> This causes me some troubles to draw the nice intersections like the
> ones in impress tables or Calc. Is there any reason for that? What are
> the related problems? I know that Word is drawing it's table borders in
> the same way... but that's no reason to mimic the same horrible
> behaviour ;)
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Cedric

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:[hidden email]
Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder