Wrong language

ALAN GRACIE
I am a first time user
I have today downloaded and installed OpenOffice.org 3.2(en-GB) installation
files.
When I start, all the dialogue boxes are in german (Wilkommem zu OpenOffice
etc.)
I cannot proceed.
How do I get them in english.

Thankyou,

Alan Gracie
Greenacres, Bickington, Barnstaple, Devon  EX31 2JG
Phone: 01271-375452
Email:[hidden email]

Re: Wrong language

twayne at twaynesdomain
In news:979CE6BA3C32464C86E791775C4CD567@ALAN,
ALAN GRACIE <[hidden email]> typed:

> I am a first time user
> I have today downloaded and installed OpenOffice.org
> 3.2(en-GB) installation files.
> When I start, all the dialogue boxes are in german
> (Wilkommem zu OpenOffice etc.)
> I cannot proceed.
> How do I get them in english.
>
> Thankyou,
>
> Alan Gracie
> Greenacres, Bickington, Barnstaple, Devon  EX31 2JG
> Phone: 01271-375452
> Email:[hidden email]

version, I'd imagine. Is the computer language also English?

Re: Wrong language

Dan Lewis
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 15:36 -0500, Twayne wrote:

> In news:979CE6BA3C32464C86E791775C4CD567@ALAN,
> ALAN GRACIE <[hidden email]> typed:
> > I am a first time user
> > I have today downloaded and installed OpenOffice.org
> > 3.2(en-GB) installation files.
> > When I start, all the dialogue boxes are in german
> > (Wilkommem zu OpenOffice etc.)
> > I cannot proceed.
> > How do I get them in english.
> >
> > Thankyou,
> >
> > Alan Gracie
> > Greenacres, Bickington, Barnstaple, Devon  EX31 2JG
> > Phone: 01271-375452
> > Email:[hidden email]

> version, I'd imagine. Is the computer language also English?

     Alan is not subscribed so would not see this unless someone CC's
him. That is what I am doing now.

Dan

Re: Wrong language

Bruce Martin
Dear Alan:

Download from www.openoffice.org, and if there is a choice of mirrors,
choose one in Canada or the U.S.

This will give you the U.S. English version. Then you will need
DicOOo.sxw, version 1.8 or higher. This is a smaller file, and if you
have trouble finding it, email me and I have it backed up.

This is similar to a Writer file in a sense, except that is 58 pages of
which you will only need to see about 5. Since it is full of complex
macros, you will need to loosen the security 1 "notch" to allow it to
run (really not dangerous for 1 notch.)

This will give you access to the added language packs you will need at
the data file level, such as U.K. English and up to 91 more (but please,
as the Author, Laurent Goddard says, not more than 10 at a time as it
might slow up the program!!) (I hope you don't want to grammar check in
Geordie, though!)

You do not need to understand French to use this. On its first page is a
list of languages, choose English, and the file will interact with you
in English and take you through the first steps. You will need to be
connected to the internet when you use this, and also to run it after
you have installed Open Office.

One more early warning: After this file has finished its job, reboot
immediately to avoid complicated problems, then you will proceed from
there, however be sure to let us know when you are at that stage, as
choices of language in any system are much more complex than that, even
with as little as 2 dialects of English, and especially for any language
which is spoken in many countries - English being a prime example! - and
on multiple levels.

Also, periodically, if you are on a Windows, platform, you will see a
brown icon appear in the lower right hand of your screen. This is Oracle
sending you updates, much as does Microsoft. Often these can come in the
dead of night, providing you leave the computer on (but not necessarily
the screen) and connected to the internet.

If you are on a Mac OSx platform, you will see something equivalent from
time to time.

If you are "working with penguins" (guffaw!), i.e. Linux, from time to
time, "Yum will get yummy" and update you in the dead of night,
providing you leave the computer on and connected to the internet (no
need to leave the screen on overnight, just the box.)

Cheers from Quebec, Canada:

Bruce Martin