affixes and changing vovels

Jancs
Hi!

I am trying to develop spellckecker for my mother tongue which,
allthough similar, differs quite a lot from Latvian.

For example in diminitive forms there is changing of vovels (and in
some cases - not only vovels) - for example with changing part in
brackets:

#grāda - gr[ie]deņa
#rynda - r[iņ]deņa
#rogovys - r[a]g[a]venis
#smylga - sm[iļdz]eņa
#sokys - s[ac]enis
#styga - st[idz]eņa
#vosora - v[a]s[a]reņa

while change of consonant happens at the word's end (usually - g-dz,
k-c) and for me is clear how to deal with such things, I have no idea
how to code the change of vovels __in whole__ word.

any ideas?

Janis

Re: affixes and changing vovels

ge-7
What you want, is easy:

the word list:
gráda/a
rynda/a
rogovys/a
smylga/a
sokys/a
styga/a
vosora/a

the affix class:
SFX a 7 y
SFX a áda áda ienda
SFX a ynda ynda indena
SFX a ogovys ogovys agavenis
SFX a ylga ylga idzena
SFX a okys okys acenis
SFX a yga yga idzena
SFX a osora osora asarena

-eleonora

Am Freitag, 9. Oktober 2009 13:24:15 schrieb Jancs:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to develop spellckecker for my mother tongue which,
> allthough similar, differs quite a lot from Latvian.
>
> For example in diminitive forms there is changing of vovels (and in
> some cases - not only vovels) - for example with changing part in
> brackets:
>
> #grāda - gr[ie]deņa
> #rynda - r[iņ]deņa
> #rogovys - r[a]g[a]venis
> #smylga - sm[iļdz]eņa
> #sokys - s[ac]enis
> #styga - st[idz]eņa
> #vosora - v[a]s[a]reņa
>
> while change of consonant happens at the word's end (usually - g-dz,
> k-c) and for me is clear how to deal with such things, I have no idea
> how to code the change of vovels __in whole__ word.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Janis

Re: affixes and changing vovels

Németh László-2
Hi,

Putting allomorphs into the dictionary could be better for the special cases.
You can also specify the stems for the synonym search:

grāda
griedeņa st:grāda

László

Quoting Németh László <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Putting allomorphs into the dictionary could be better for the special cases.

Can you explain what the term "allomorph" means?

thank to all for advice!

> You can also specify the stems for the synonym search:
>
> grāda
> griedeņa st:grāda

> 2009/10/9  <[hidden email]>:
>> What you want, is easy:
>>
>> the word list:
>> gráda/a

>> the affix class:
>> SFX a 7 y
>> SFX a áda áda ienda

clear, allthough it looks strange as i need to make such higly
specific entries for all cases.

Re: affixes and changing vovels

ge-7

Allomorph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allomorph

It means, that words behave, as if they had multiple stems in different cases. For example in German
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allomorph
Maus - Mäus-e (Plural-Allomorph: Umlaut + e)
multiple of Maus looks, as if stem would be Mäus and not Maus.
We say in Hungarian,  either that the word has multiple stems, or it has a stem vocal modification (tõhangváltozás in Hungarian).

Mr. Németh means with his advice, that if the diminitive forms also
get affixes, then it might be simpler, if you simply add them to the dictionary, and handle them, as if they were independent words. That could simplify affix list, and avoid usage of two level affixing, however, would increase you dic list.

It is up to you, which is simpler and more sympathetic for you.

-eleonora

Quoting ge <[hidden email]>:

> get affixes, then it might be simpler, if you simply add them to the
>  dictionary, and handle them, as if they were independent words.
> That  could simplify affix list, and avoid usage of two level
> affixing,  however, would increase you dic list.

yes, it worked with Latvian, but with Latgalian there is the need for
specific affix anyway as the deminutive forms are declining slightly
different:

smylga - smylgys
and
smiļdzeņa - smiļdzeņis