all files open as read-only

James Pesout
After installing Open Office version 4.1.8 every time I open a file it's
categorized as a read-only file.

To edit any of my files I have to open them as a copy, edit them, and then
save them with a new name.

The next time I open that file, it opens as a read only file.

I'm using a Windows 10 platform on a 64 bit system.

I've uninstalled 4.1.8 and reinstalled it but the problem persists.

Thanks for your advice.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: all files open as read-only

Jean Lear
Hello James,
I should not say this James, but I am pleased to hear this has happened to
someone
else.
The same thing happened to me after I installed Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on
my
Windows 10 Asus computer. I could not open files as usual.  I got a window
with
the option of "Read Only" or "Open as copy". The usual solutions to open
"Read
Only" were not available.
I uninstalled 4.1.8 and went back to 4.1.7 but the problem was still there.
I took my computer to the experienced computer technician whose business is
computers who looks after my computer.  I think he did not recognise the
problem.
I was told that by trial and error he solved the problem saying it was the
Avast program
and another program that were the problem.  I had been using  Avast and the
other
program for many years on this and other computers.
My computer was returned  with Windows Defender and my other favourite
program deleted.
I would be interested to hear if any other users have had this same problem
and
if it happens only to some users who have upgraded to 4.1.8 and if so how
the problrm
was solved.
Thank you.
Jean Lear

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:47 AM James Pesout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After installing Open Office version 4.1.8 every time I open a file it's
> categorized as a read-only file.
>
> To edit any of my files I have to open them as a copy, edit them, and then
> save them with a new name.
>
> The next time I open that file, it opens as a read only file.
>
> I'm using a Windows 10 platform on a 64 bit system.
>
> I've uninstalled 4.1.8 and reinstalled it but the problem persists.
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> <
> >
> Virus-free.
> <

Re: all files open as read-only

Rory O'Farrell

This may be a Windows defender problem.  See this Tutorial for solutions.
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507#p467580

There may also be adjustment needed to antivirus ransomware protection.

Not being a Windows user, I cannot assist with any detail

RoryOF

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 21:55:33 +1000
Jean Lear <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello James,
> I should not say this James, but I am pleased to hear this has happened to
> someone
> else.
> The same thing happened to me after I installed Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on
> my
> Windows 10 Asus computer. I could not open files as usual.  I got a window
> with
> the option of "Read Only" or "Open as copy". The usual solutions to open
> "Read
> Only" were not available.
> I uninstalled 4.1.8 and went back to 4.1.7 but the problem was still there.
> I took my computer to the experienced computer technician whose business is
> computers who looks after my computer.  I think he did not recognise the
> problem.
> I was told that by trial and error he solved the problem saying it was the
> Avast program
> and another program that were the problem.  I had been using  Avast and the
> other
> program for many years on this and other computers.
> My computer was returned  with Windows Defender and my other favourite
> program deleted.
> I would be interested to hear if any other users have had this same problem
> and
> if it happens only to some users who have upgraded to 4.1.8 and if so how
> the problrm
> was solved.
> Thank you.
> Jean Lear
>

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:47 AM James Pesout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > After installing Open Office version 4.1.8 every time I open a file it's
> > categorized as a read-only file.
> >
> > To edit any of my files I have to open them as a copy, edit them, and then
> > save them with a new name.
> >
> > The next time I open that file, it opens as a read only file.
> >
> > I'm using a Windows 10 platform on a 64 bit system.
> >
> > I've uninstalled 4.1.8 and reinstalled it but the problem persists.
> >
> > Thanks for your advice.
> >
> > <
> > >
> > Virus-free.
> > <

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: all files open as read-only

Matthias Seidel

Maybe you can have a quick look if you have enabled  "Controlled Folder
Access":

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update

Regards,

   Matthias