base 64 encoding

David B Teague-3

On another mailing list, I received what purports to be
power point slides, but the attachments open with MS WordPad
and show text that says it is base 64 encoding of a power
point file.

The sender says his installation, Windows 7, and MS Office
(version not mentioned, likely a fairly late version as he
did IT before retiring) will open the attachments. But here,
neither PowerPoint Viewer (latest from MS) nor
OpenOffice.org impress (latest version) like them. PPV says
not a power point file, and OO.o Impress asks about the
character encoding and opens them as a text filed, showing
the text encoding.

Anyone have a suggestion for how to actually see the slides?

The list server strips attachments that are not made by
OO.o, so I'd have to send a sample privately.

Any suggestions appreciated.

David Teague

Re: base 64 encoding

David B Teague-3

Sorry, I failed to include system detail:
Windows XP SP3 OOo 3.2, PP Viewer, latest version,
Thanks
David

On 11/2/2010 8:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:

> On another mailing list, I received what purports to be
> power point slides, but the attachments open with MS
> WordPad and show text that says it is base 64 encoding of
> a power point file.
<SNIP>

Re: base 64 encoding

NoOp-4
On 11/02/2010 05:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion for how to actually see the slides?
>
> The list server strips attachments that are not made by
> OO.o, so I'd have to send a sample privately.

David, send me the file & I'll see if I can open. I have MSO 2003 + the
requisite MSO 2007 converters.

Gary

Re: base 64 encoding

Harold Fuchs-9

"David B Teague" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Sorry, I failed to include system detail:
> Windows XP SP3 OOo 3.2, PP Viewer, latest version,
> Thanks
> David
>
> On 11/2/2010 8:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
>>
>> On another mailing list, I received what purports to be power point
>> slides, but the attachments open with MS WordPad and show text that says
>> it is base 64 encoding of a power point file.
> <SNIP>

Google "base64 decode freeware" (without the quotes), choose something you
like the look of (163,000 results) and give it a try ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

Re: base 64 encoding

David B Teague-3
On 11/2/2010 6:35 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/02/2010 05:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
>> Anyone have a suggestion for how to actually see the slides?
>>
>> The list server strips attachments that are not made by
>> OO.o, so I'd have to send a sample privately.
>
> David, send me the file&  I'll see if I can open. I have MSO 2003 + the
> requisite MSO 2007 converters.
>
> Gary

Gary:

When I extract the attachments, each of which is named
"attachment" they files that I can open with MS Wordpad.
They appear to be text files. Inside they state clearly that
the files are parts of a "Base 64" encoding of pps files,
and there are several parts over several email messages.

My experience with uuencoded files (different from this, I
know) has been that without all of the parts, nothing works,
but I don't know about Base 64 encoding.

I'll be happy to forward any or all of them, but let me know
what you want, because this is a sequence of 8 messages,
each of which is of size close to a megabyte.

I would really like for OpenOffice.org to be able to open
them directly from the base 64 attachments...

Thanks

David

Re: base 64 encoding

mike scott-2
On 03/11/10 11:06, David B Teague wrote:

> On 11/2/2010 6:35 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/02/2010 05:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
>>> Anyone have a suggestion for how to actually see the slides?
>>>
>>> The list server strips attachments that are not made by
>>> OO.o, so I'd have to send a sample privately.
>>
>> David, send me the file&  I'll see if I can open. I have MSO 2003 + the
>> requisite MSO 2007 converters.
>>
>> Gary
>>
> Gary:
>
> When I extract the attachments, each of which is named "attachment" they

A noddy question, if I may. When you say 'extract the attachments',
/exactly/ what are you doing? MIME uses base-64 encoding to reduce
binary files to mailable text; normally your email client will, when you
say 'save attachment', do all the needed decoding to leave the original
file. But if you manually extract the parts from the message source,
then you'll have to do the conversion yourself (obviously!) There are
some simple enough tools eg in the perl library to help here.

> I would really like for OpenOffice.org to be able to open them directly
> from the base 64 attachments...

Somehow, I doubt even the 'market leader' office suite will do this.
IMBW - Am I missing something?

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Re: base 64 encoding

David B Teague-3
On 11/3/2010 6:42 AM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

> "David B Teague" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:[hidden email]...
>>
>> Sorry, I failed to include system detail:
>> Windows XP SP3 OOo 3.2, PP Viewer, latest version,
>> Thanks
>> David
>>
>> On 11/2/2010 8:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
>>>
>>> On another mailing list, I received what purports to be
>>> power point slides, but the attachments open with MS
>>> WordPad and show text that says it is base 64 encoding
>>> of a power point file.
>> <SNIP>
>
> Google "base64 decode freeware" (without the quotes),
> choose something you like the look of (163,000 results)
> and give it a try ...

Many thanks, Harold. I bet this is what I needed.
David Teague

Re: base 64 encoding

Tony Pursell
On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 07:06 -0400, David B Teague wrote:

> On 11/2/2010 6:35 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > On 11/02/2010 05:50 AM, David B Teague wrote:
> >> Anyone have a suggestion for how to actually see the slides?
> >>
> >> The list server strips attachments that are not made by
> >> OO.o, so I'd have to send a sample privately.
> >
> > David, send me the file&  I'll see if I can open. I have MSO 2003 + the
> > requisite MSO 2007 converters.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> Gary:
>
> When I extract the attachments, each of which is named
> "attachment" they files that I can open with MS Wordpad.
> They appear to be text files. Inside they state clearly that
> the files are parts of a "Base 64" encoding of pps files,
> and there are several parts over several email messages.
>
> My experience with uuencoded files (different from this, I
> know) has been that without all of the parts, nothing works,
> but I don't know about Base 64 encoding.
>
> I'll be happy to forward any or all of them, but let me know
> what you want, because this is a sequence of 8 messages,
> each of which is of size close to a megabyte.
>
> I would really like for OpenOffice.org to be able to open
> them directly from the base 64 attachments...
>
> Thanks
>
> David

OpenOffice.org opens all kinds of document formats, but Base64 is not a
document format.

It is a method of encoding 8bit per character files (usually binary
files, which includes many MS formats) into 7bit per character files
that can be attached to emails.  Most email clients will automatically
convert attachments to and from Base64 encoding.  So you need to decode
these files to give you the original pps file, which is a document
format that OOo recognises.

You may be able to download a utility that will do the decoding. There
are also some on-line sites that will decode Base64 for you. Just Google
for 'Base64 decode' and  'Base64 decode online'.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Re: base 64 encoding

NoOp-4
On 11/03/2010 04:06 AM, David B Teague wrote:

> I'll be happy to forward any or all of them, but let me know
> what you want, because this is a sequence of 8 messages,
> each of which is of size close to a megabyte.
>
> I would really like for OpenOffice.org to be able to open
> them directly from the base 64 attachments...
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Send me one or two & I'll be happy to see what I can figure out.

Re: base 64 encoding

David B Teague-3
On 11/3/2010 7:28 AM, Mike Scott wrote:

> On 03/11/10 11:06, David B Teague wrote:

>>> David, send me the file&   I'll see if I can open. I have MSO 2003 + the
>>> requisite MSO 2007 converters.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>> Gary:
>>
>> When I extract the attachments, each of which is named "attachment" they
> A noddy question, if I may. When you say 'extract the attachments',
> /exactly/ what are you doing? MIME uses base-64 encoding to reduce
> binary files to mailable text; normally your email client will, when you
> say 'save attachment', do all the needed decoding to leave the original
> file. But if you manually extract the parts from the message source,
> then you'll have to do the conversion yourself (obviously!) There are
> some simple enough tools eg in the perl library to help here.

These parts come in several email messages. How would I
extract the parts so MIME will concatenate the parts and
decode do as you suggest it should?

David

OT: Re: [discuss] Re: base 64 encoding

mike scott-2
On 03/11/10 18:11, David B Teague wrote:

> On 11/3/2010 7:28 AM, Mike Scott wrote:

>>> Gary:
>>>
>>> When I extract the attachments, each of which is named "attachment" they
>> A noddy question, if I may. When you say 'extract the attachments',
>> /exactly/ what are you doing? MIME uses base-64 encoding to reduce
>> binary files to mailable text; normally your email client will, when you
>> say 'save attachment', do all the needed decoding to leave the original
>> file. But if you manually extract the parts from the message source,
>> then you'll have to do the conversion yourself (obviously!) There are
>> some simple enough tools eg in the perl library to help here.

> These parts come in several email messages. How would I extract the
> parts so MIME will concatenate the parts and decode do as you suggest it
> should?

You pose another question, which doesn't answer my query. In fact, it
adds a new dimension - I think people had assumed there was one email
per PP file; now we're into one PP file, split into chunks, MIME-encoded
and emailed. Shades of the old shar method :-}

Frankly, I'd say the answer is 'if you want to go there, don't start
here'. In other words, get the sender to organize things better - either
to send one large mail message (around 8Mb if i recall correctly what's
been said elsewhere in the thread; not totally ridiculous) or (better)
to plonk it on a web or ftp server from where you can fetch it directly
without any of this hassle.

That aside, others in the thread have told you about software for
'un-MIMEing' text. After that, you need to know exactly what the sender
did when splitting the file up in order to know how to glue it back
together.

None of which is an OOo issue.

--
Mike Scott