bringing our description closer inline with existing OOo bib API

bringing our description closer inline with existing OOo bib API

Bruce D'Arcus
It's occurred to me in looking at all this again that we need see where
we can simply use and/or enhance the existing bib APIs in OOo: to see
if we can disentangle what are GUI problems, from something fundamental
in the design.

It seems to me these APIs look fine:

Bibliography
============

<http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
FieldMaster/Bibliography.html>

It has the necessary sorting properties. I think it might just need a
property to say whether subsequent entries from an author get replaced
with em-dashes.  In my CSL language, I have:

    <bibliography author-as-sort-order="all" author-shorten-with="———."
       sort-order="author-date">

We need something to cover the "author-shorten-with" attribute.

BibliographyDataField
=====================

<http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
BibliographyDataField.html#>

This is the one that has always made me cringe, because it's based on
BibTeX.

However, if I understand right, the data values here are just
constants, where the data itself is stored in a hash.  If that's right,
then we could easily fix this.

BibliographyDataType
====================

<http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
BibliographyDataType.html>

As above, if we can easily change the types (like, say, now!), then we
can fix this.

Where I think the problem is is the citation/bibliography mark, but I
can't find the API documentation for that. Also, the bibliography stuff
needs to be understand as more generic, so that the data can be used
even if there isn't a bibliography printed (as with note citations).

Bruce

Re: bringing our description closer inline with existing OOo bib API

David Wilson-7
On Sunday 23 July 2006 1:28 am, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> It's occurred to me in looking at all this again that we need see where
> we can simply use and/or enhance the existing bib APIs in OOo: to see
> if we can disentangle what are GUI problems, from something fundamental
> in the design.
>
> It seems to me these APIs look fine:
>
> Bibliography
> ============
>
> <http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
> FieldMaster/Bibliography.html>
>
> It has the necessary sorting properties. I think it might just need a
> property to say whether subsequent entries from an author get replaced
> with em-dashes.  In my CSL language, I have:
>
>     <bibliography author-as-sort-order="all" author-shorten-with="———."
>        sort-order="author-date">
>
> We need something to cover the "author-shorten-with" attribute.
One issues with /text/FieldMaster/Bibliography which is the master field for
the Bibliography / Reference table is that it also it also contains some
configuration options for the display of citations.

BracketBefore - determines the opening bracket used to display the
bibliography text fields [citations].
BracketAfter - determines the closing bracket used to display the bibliography
text fields [citations].

This means that you can not set the brackets type for the citations unless you
insert the Reference Table. But of course it is true that numbered citations
and author-date citations are not much use without a Reference Table. But do
you have to have a Reference Table if use footnote/endnote citations ?

> BibliographyDataField
> =====================
>
> <http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
> BibliographyDataField.html#>
>
> This is the one that has always made me cringe, because it's based on
> BibTeX.
>
> However, if I understand right, the data values here are just
> constants, where the data itself is stored in a hash.  If that's right,
> then we could easily fix this.
>
> BibliographyDataType
> ====================
>
> <http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/
> BibliographyDataType.html>
>
> As above, if we can easily change the types (like, say, now!), then we
> can fix this.
>

> Where I think the problem is is the citation/bibliography mark, but I
> can't find the API documentation for that.
I think this is the relevant service -

http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/text/textfield/Bibliography.html
All the Description says is " contains the bibliography fields of the text
fields" but the documents do not seem to list them.

For a bit more description see the developers guide -
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/Text/Text.xhtml#1_3_5_Text_Fields
and the description in the 'Text Field Service Name' table for

On Jul 22, 2006, at 7:10 PM, David Wilson wrote:

> One issues with /text/FieldMaster/Bibliography which is the master
> field for
> the Bibliography / Reference table is that it also it also contains
> some
> configuration options for the display of citations.
>
> BracketBefore - determines the opening bracket used to display the
> bibliography text fields [citations].
> BracketAfter - determines the closing bracket used to display the
> bibliography
> text fields [citations].
>
> This means that you can not set the brackets type for the citations
> unless you
> insert the Reference Table.

OK, good.

Then we need to change that; at minimum we need a reference list object
that does not depend on a bibliography being inserted. This object's
job is to process references independent of where they get formatted.

And of course, the bibliography needs to be dynamic, though perhaps the
problem here is more an interface issue.

I think, then, we need the new Citation object to back up the new
field, and to interact with the Bibliography (or ReferenceList) object.

If I understand that right, then, perhaps there's stuff to work with.

> But of course it is true that numbered citations
> and author-date citations are not much use without a Reference Table.
> But do
> you have to have a Reference Table if use footnote/endnote citations ?

No.

Bruce