calc vs excel

tomek_k
hi
before i download and install openoffice id like to ask how your 'calc' is comparable to microsoft 'excel'
does 'calc' contains sth like analysis toolpak?
and whats more important - does 'calc' provide editor for developing macros?

looking for your answer

tomek_k

Re: calc vs excel

John Viestenz

Re: calc vs excel

Matej Spiller-Muys
Does macro editor for OOo have auto complete? I couldn't find it for any
language (OOo Basic, BeanShell, JavaScript). Btw is there any integrated
editor for Python? Edit button is disabled for python. Do I have to install
something additionally ?

Matej Spiller-Muys

> before i download and install openoffice id like to ask how your 'calc' is
> comparable to microsoft 'excel'
> does 'calc' contains sth like analysis toolpak?
> and whats more important - does 'calc' provide editor for developing
macros?

> looking for your answer
>
> tomek_k
>
> -----------
> Partial reply:
> I'm not familiar with the analysis toolpak (someone else, hopefully, will
> respond).  But CALC does have a macro editor.  It is NOT however, for the
> same VBA language that Excel uses for its macros.  Open Office Org.'s
BASIC
> and MS' VBA are NOT compatible.  If you learned to write VBA macros, you
can
> re-learn the OOo Basic.  Materials are available to help (books,
downloads,
> etc.); some free, some for $.
>
> -- John V

Re: calc vs excel

Chris Cioffi
On 13/11/05, tomek_k <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi
> before i download and install openoffice id like to ask how your 'calc' is comparable to microsoft 'excel'
> does 'calc' contains sth like analysis toolpak?
> and whats more important - does 'calc' provide editor for developing macros?
>
> looking for your answer
>
> tomek_k

Hi tomek_k,

The solver like functionality in Calc is far more primitive than
Excel's.  It is contrained to a single variable and does not currently
support constraints.  Both of which killed it for me.

If you're a heavy user of solver, you might need to stick with Excel
for now.  It's not too far out there to think that someone could
create a plugin that would meet or exceed Excel's capability.

For most basic uses, Calc is at least Excel's equal.  For the more
sophisticated stuff, Calc needs a little more growing time.

I would still recomend that you dl OOo and check it out.  Writer is
quite nice, quirks no worse than Word.  Impress is still a work in
progress, like Calc.  It's adequate for most uses, but it's lacking
some of the polish that PowerPoint has.

Chris
--
"A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only
a fool trusts either of them." -- P. J. O'Rourke

Re: calc vs excel

CPHennessy
On Sun November 13 2005 11:27, + tomek_k wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> hi
> before i download and install openoffice id like to ask how your 'calc' is
> comparable to microsoft 'excel' does 'calc' contains sth like analysis
> toolpak?
I'm not sure, but maybe.

> and whats more important - does 'calc' provide editor for developing
> macros?
Yes.

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--