call for volunteers: Zotero plug-in

Bruce D'Arcus
I asked Dan Stillman at the Zotero project if there was anything we
could do here to do to help with development, maintenance, or support
of the Zotero plug-in for OOo. His answer was:

"As for maintenance and support, we'd certainly appreciate any
development work from the OOo project in keeping the plugin up to date
with the Word plugin, since we don't currently have any other outside
help on it."

So for those of you with the skills and interest, here's a good
opportunity to help. I don't think it's be that hard to do; just
requires some knowledge of VBA, Python, and OOo extensions I believe.

Things seem to be working fine ATM, but I'm concerned that we keep it that way.

Bruce

Re: call for volunteers: Zotero plug-in

Gannon Dick
Bruce,

I'm very involved with another project at the momment
(http://www.RUSTPrivacy.org/) so I don't think I'd be much help with
maintenance.

I do have some questions about the translators ...
 - have generic translators been made for the common OO output formats
(HTML,XHTML,DocBook etc.) ?  *for use by authors using OO, for example*
 - REGEX are pretty much a necessity for the wide variety of formats
found on the web, but do the Zotero people think there is a fundamental
difference between the results using REGEX and the results of using
XSLT (http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/)?

The reason for the second question is that as a side issue for
RUSTPrivacy.org, I modified the XHTML output filter of OO to use only
Dublin Core syntax and wrote a GRDDL XSLT to process *that*; it
generates RDF.  This seems like it would be a viable alternative for
Zotero in the case libraries put out XML - and many do, e.g. PubMed
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/).

If you need an example (advanced dir.),
http://www.RUSTPrivacy.org/SimpleMayflower.zip

--Gannon

Gannon Dick wrote:

> I'm very involved with another project at the momment
> (http://www.RUSTPrivacy.org/) so I don't think I'd be much help with
> maintenance.

Sure. Yo, anyone else out there? With all the time waiting for things to
move on improving bib support in OOo, here's now the time to contribute.

> I do have some questions about the translators ...
>  - have generic translators been made for the common OO output formats
> (HTML,XHTML,DocBook etc.) ?  *for use by authors using OO, for example*
>  - REGEX are pretty much a necessity for the wide variety of formats
> found on the web, but do the Zotero people think there is a fundamental
> difference between the results using REGEX and the results of using
> XSLT (http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/grddl-wg/)?

Am not totally following you. The Zotero translators just take some raw
source (typically HTML) and convert it into a JS object for ingestion
into the database.

Given the amount of crap out there on the web, the reality is that you
can't rely on XSLT to do such conversions. GRDDL is great, but it
presumes that document producers have the care and skill to do things
right. My guess is that's less than 1 percent of what Zotero (or
PiggyBank, or CiteULike) has to deal with. For that reason, using JS
works much better.

Of course, the call for help I mention above has nothing to do with any
of these details. It's just maintaining and improving integration of
citation processing with OOo.

> The reason for the second question is that as a side issue for
> RUSTPrivacy.org, I modified the XHTML output filter of OO to use only
> Dublin Core syntax and wrote a GRDDL XSLT to process *that*; it
> generates RDF.  This seems like it would be a viable alternative for
> Zotero in the case libraries put out XML - and many do, e.g. PubMed
> (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/).

Yes, this should be a "viable alternative."

Bruce

Re: call for volunteers: Zotero plug-in

Gannon Dick

> Am not totally following you. The Zotero translators just take some
> raw
> source (typically HTML) and convert it into a JS object for ingestion
>
> into the database.
>
> Given the amount of crap out there on the web, the reality is that
> you
> can't rely on XSLT to do such conversions. GRDDL is great, but it
> presumes that document producers have the care and skill to do things
>
> right. My guess is that's less than 1 percent of what Zotero (or
> PiggyBank, or CiteULike) has to deal with. For that reason, using JS
> works much better.

No, I think you understand - Zotero scrapeing OO output - as a proxy
for "the crap", to archive the (admittedly rare) gem.

--Gannon