can't insert a column

Dorothy
I'm new to the Mac OpenOffce spreadsheet. I read the directions for inserting a column, but instead of a column inserting, a get a message that says "filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet". My entries so far only cover A to N and 1 to 100 so far, so this doesn't make sense to me. Why am I getting this message?

Re: can't insert a column

Brian Barker-2
At 18:24 16/02/2019 +0000, Dorothy Hernandez wrote:
>I'm new to the Mac OpenOffce spreadsheet. I read the directions for
>inserting a column, but instead of a column inserting, a get a
>message that says "filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet".
>My entries so far only cover A to N and 1 to 100 so far, so this
>doesn't make sense to me. Why am I getting this message?

Presumably because you *do*, in fact, have something in at least one
row that extends to the last possible column. It is very easy to
achieve this, perhaps without meaning to.

If you paste some value or formula, it is pasted into the selected
cells. Now you can select a number of cells in a row specifically,
but you can also select the entire row by clicking in the row header
at the left - where the row number is shown. If you do that, the
paste will be into all the cells in the row - all 1024 of them. You
have probably done this. It may not be obvious if the value or the
result of any formula happens to be empty or blank. But there is
still something in all those 1024 cells, and you cannot insert a
column, as this would mean tipping off the final value in the row.

You need to empty some or all of those cells:

o You could probably do this by deleting one or more columns to the
right of those that you need. This would leave one or more cells
empty at the right of the problem row.

o Alternatively, select cell O1, i.e. in the first row of the first
column you claim not to be using. Now press Ctrl+Shift+End; this will
select all your rows from column O onwards. Press Delete and select
suitable options.

Either way, you will now have empty cells at the right of your rows
and you will be able to insert columns where you need them.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: can't insert a column

John van Barneveld
1. Click on the column heading (A,B,C etc) to highlight the entire
column immediately after the position you want the new column inserted.
2. Click on "Insert" (in the menu bar)
3.  Click on "column"

This works on the Windows  version and should work on the Mac.

I hope this solves your query.

Regards
John van Barneveld

>I'm new to the Mac OpenOffce spreadsheet. I read the directions for inserting a column, but instead of a column inserting, a get a message that says "filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet". My entries so far only cover A to N and 1 to 100 so far, so this doesn't make sense to me. Why am I getting this message?

---