can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

tedandellen
Hi,
I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
Thanks,
Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

Andrea Vt
What happens if you try to print from another program? Webbrowser,
texteditor ...

Am 16.01.2017 um 18:58 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
> I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
> Thanks,
> Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

Girvin Herr-2
Ted,

Do you have a "Print Range" defined?

If not, you would see the symptoms you describe.

Format > Print Ranges > edit... Then select "Entire Sheet" from the
"Print Range" list.  If you want rows to be repeated on each page, then
select  "User Defined" under "Rows to Repeat" and/or enter a row
designation (i.e. $1 for row #1) in the box to the right.

Note that this is required on a sheet-by-sheet basis, so if you have
more than one sheet to print, then you must select the print range for
each sheet.

HTH.

Girvin Herr

On 01/16/2017 09:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
> I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
> Thanks,
> Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

tedandellen
Thanks for the suggestion. It worked! Don't know why after several years of doing things one way they mysteriously don't work anymore.
Ted
---- Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ted,
>
> Do you have a "Print Range" defined?
>
> If not, you would see the symptoms you describe.
>
> Format > Print Ranges > edit... Then select "Entire Sheet" from the
> "Print Range" list.  If you want rows to be repeated on each page, then
> select  "User Defined" under "Rows to Repeat" and/or enter a row
> designation (i.e. $1 for row #1) in the box to the right.
>
> Note that this is required on a sheet-by-sheet basis, so if you have
> more than one sheet to print, then you must select the print range for
> each sheet.
>
> HTH.
>
> Girvin Herr

> > Hi,
> > I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
> > Thanks,
> > Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

tedandellen
I'm not that much into newer ways of doing things. Got a couple of suggestions on how to get Open Office to print and they work.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Ted
---- Andrea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What happens if you try to print from another program? Webbrowser,
> texteditor ...

> > Hi,
> > I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
> > Thanks,
> > Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

Girvin Herr-2
Yes, I have seen that too.  Usually a new spreadsheet may print until at
some unpredictable time in the future, it stops printing.  I don't know
why it changes.  I have not tested it. IMHO, the whole print ranges
process should default to "Entire Sheet" for all sheets, including added
sheets, unless changed. That is probably what the vast majority of users
need.  The way it is implemented now is a PITA.  If you have 10 sheets,
you need to set Print Ranges for all 10.  That is excessively labor
intensive, which is prone to error.

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Girvin

On 01/17/2017 09:33 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for the suggestion. It worked! Don't know why after several years of doing things one way they mysteriously don't work anymore.
> Ted
> ---- Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ted,
>>
>> Do you have a "Print Range" defined?
>>
>> If not, you would see the symptoms you describe.
>>
>> Format > Print Ranges > edit... Then select "Entire Sheet" from the
>> "Print Range" list.  If you want rows to be repeated on each page, then
>> select  "User Defined" under "Rows to Repeat" and/or enter a row
>> designation (i.e. $1 for row #1) in the box to the right.
>>
>> Note that this is required on a sheet-by-sheet basis, so if you have
>> more than one sheet to print, then you must select the print range for
>> each sheet.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> Girvin Herr

>>> Hi,
>>> I have used Open Office for several years and it is a great program. However, lately I can't get spreadsheets to print to my HP Officejet 4500 printer. I tried reinstalling the printer, but still nothing prints. When I select print from the drop down or the icon on an OO document nothing shows on the to be printed display, and thus nothing prints out.HELP!
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ted

Re: can't print out spreadsheets on HP printer now

Martin Groenescheij

On 18/01/17 10:32 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> Yes, I have seen that too.  Usually a new spreadsheet may print until
> at some unpredictable time in the future, it stops printing.  I don't
> know why it changes.  I have not tested it. IMHO, the whole print
> ranges process should default to "Entire Sheet" for all sheets,
> including added sheets, unless changed.

That's exactly what it does, if no tab has a print range defined (the
default) than it print all sheets where it finds data.
E.g. if you have data in Cell B6 and X12 than it print from B6 to X12 if
you have some data on an other sheet it will check
where you have data, if the sheet is empty it will not print that sheet.
But if you have a print range defined on just one sheet, even if there
is no data, it will print just that print range, an that is
what you want.
If you're unsure where you have a print range defined just do a print
preview.

> That is probably what the vast majority of users need.  The way it is
> implemented now is a PITA.  If you have 10 sheets, you need to set
> Print Ranges for all 10.  That is excessively labor intensive, which
> is prone to error.

In complex spreadsheets you probably have many sheets were you maintain
lookup tables, like employee names,
purchase price and sales prices etc. it's most likely you don't show
your customers your profit margin.
Most likely you only send them an invoice.

On 01/17/2017 06:32 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 18/01/17 10:32 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> Yes, I have seen that too.  Usually a new spreadsheet may print until
>> at some unpredictable time in the future, it stops printing.  I don't
>> know why it changes.  I have not tested it. IMHO, the whole print
>> ranges process should default to "Entire Sheet" for all sheets,
>> including added sheets, unless changed.
>
> That's exactly what it does, if no tab has a print range defined (the
> default) than it print all sheets where it finds data.
That has not been my experience.  I have had multi-sheet spreadsheets
with all print ranges blank (undefined or "default") and they would not
print.  On top of that, they may have started out printing, but then for
some unexplained reason, stopped printing - still with the blank print
ranges.  I had to define a print range of "Entire Sheet" on each sheet
to get it to print all of the sheets. It sounds like the OP has
experienced the same thing (bug?).  I am just saying the default
behavior is sometimes frustrating for the non-power user and when it
fails, the cause is not very intuitive. The fact that the OP, and other
forum is proof of that.

Girvin

On 19/01/17 5:48 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> On 01/17/2017 06:32 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>

>> On 18/01/17 10:32 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>>> Yes, I have seen that too.  Usually a new spreadsheet may print
>>> until at some unpredictable time in the future, it stops printing.
>>> I don't know why it changes. I have not tested it. IMHO, the whole
>>> print ranges process should default to "Entire Sheet" for all
>>> sheets, including added sheets, unless changed.
>>
>> That's exactly what it does, if no tab has a print range defined (the
>> default) than it print all sheets where it finds data.
> That has not been my experience.  I have had multi-sheet spreadsheets
> with all print ranges blank (undefined or "default") and they would
> not print.  On top of that, they may have started out printing, but
> then for some unexplained reason, stopped printing - still with the
> blank print ranges.

You said: "they would not print.  On top of that, they may have started
out printing" that sound likes a contradiction to me.
There are two options you can check if OpenOffice will generate output
something:
1. File -> Page Preview - this shows if there is anything to print.
2. View -> Page Break Preview - this shows all data and highlight the
area which has a Print Range defined.

If something start printing and stops for some unexplained reason it is
not by definition an OpenOffice problem.

>   I had to define a print range of "Entire Sheet" on each sheet to get
> it to print all of the sheets. It sounds like the OP has experienced
> the same thing (bug?).  I am just saying the default behavior is
> sometimes frustrating for the non-power user and when it fails, the
> cause is not very intuitive.

The default behavior is very clear, when it behave different from your
expectation there could be reasons:
It could be that you use a non default template, which has a Print Range
defined.
Go to File -> Templates and double click on My Templates to see if there
s a Non Default template.
If there is one you find under the Commands pull-down menu a option
"Reset Default Template"

> The fact that the OP, and other previous posters with the same
> problem, had to ask for help on this forum is proof of that.

The only proof is that we all have areas we don't understand, I learn
everyday new things.