cannot insert fields

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cannot insert fields

Felmon Davis
greetings!

I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they
posted earlier to the list.

it's the strangest thing. any attempt to insert 'page number' or 'page
count' yields a blank space.

well, not completely blank. there is some kind of char but it appears
only as a grey area.

I have tried changing fonts and I also have made a template of the doc
and then generated a new one. no change. I have changed the language
from Canadian English to American.

the other major fields such as 'date' and so on work.

I would guess some kind of corruption somewhere but maybe someone has
a better notion. I'd hate to have to reconstruct the document from
ground up. I'm willing to fool around with xml or whatever if needed.

I'm on OpenOffice 4.1.6.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:33:46 -0500 (EST)
Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> greetings!
>
> I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they
> posted earlier to the list.
>
> it's the strangest thing. any attempt to insert 'page number' or 'page
> count' yields a blank space.
>
> well, not completely blank. there is some kind of char but it appears
> only as a grey area.
>
> I have tried changing fonts and I also have made a template of the doc
> and then generated a new one. no change. I have changed the language
> from Canadian English to American.
>
> the other major fields such as 'date' and so on work.
>
> I would guess some kind of corruption somewhere but maybe someone has
> a better notion. I'd hate to have to reconstruct the document from
> ground up. I'm willing to fool around with xml or whatever if needed.
>
> I'm on OpenOffice 4.1.6.
>
> f.
>
> --
> Felmon Davis
>

Do the other fields appear on a grey background?  If so, this is non-printing, but can be suppressed by toggling /View /Field Shadings.  If you turn on /View /Field names, does the page number field show "Page Numbers"?

If you turn on the Stylist (F11), and enable "All Styles" in the dropdown on Stylist's bottom bar, are there many styles WW... and Convert..., which indicate that the file has been Saved in MS document formats and or edited by MS Word.



--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields

Brian Barker-2
In reply to this post by Felmon Davis
At 14:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they
>posted earlier to the list.

Is this Teresa Brown?

>it's the strangest thing. any attempt to insert 'page number' or
>'page count' yields a blank space. well, not completely blank. there
>is some kind of char but it appears only as a grey area.

The grey area is the required field, of course. So you have the field
but it is failing to display the required value. You could confirm
this by toggling the display to field names at View | Field Names (or Ctrl+F9).

>the other major fields such as 'date' and so on work.

Good.

>I would guess some kind of corruption somewhere ...

I think not.

>... but maybe someone has a better notion.

I'm guessing the document has sections that need to be numbered other
than naturally, so that - perhaps? - the main body of a document is
paginated starting at page 1 despite its following title pages and
front matter, i.e not being the real first page of the document.
There appear to be two ways of achieving this:

Method I:
o Go to Insert | Manual Break... .
o In the Insert Break dialogue, select "Page break".
o Select an appropriate style (even if it does not change).
o Select "Change page number" and choose the starting page number.

Method II:
o Either select the relevant field or position the cursor just to the
left of it.
o Go to Edit | Fields... (or right-click | Fields...).
o For Page numbers, set a suitable value for Offset.

Now Method I seems to work for me, but Method II not always. In
particular, if the page number is greater than the actual number of
pages in the document it will not display. And negative page numbers
will not display. In those cases the field will show as a grey bock
but with no number - exactly what you describe.

I'm not sure about page count, but I suspect the problem is similar.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields [SOLVED]

Felmon Davis
In reply to this post by Felmon Davis
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 14:33 22/02/2020 -0500, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they posted
>> earlier to the list.
>
> Is this Teresa Brown?

yes.

now deleting some text to get to your solutions; the second solution
worked! you wrote:

> The grey area is the required field, of course. So you have the field but it
> is failing to display the required value. You could confirm this by toggling
> the display to field names at View | Field Names (or Ctrl+F9).

yeah, I found that this is true: the field names appear.

> Method I:
> o Go to Insert | Manual Break... .
> o In the Insert Break dialogue, select "Page break".
> o Select an appropriate style (even if it does not change).
> o Select "Change page number" and choose the starting page number.
>
> Method II:
> o Either select the relevant field or position the cursor just to the left of
> it.
> o Go to Edit | Fields... (or right-click | Fields...).
> o For Page numbers, set a suitable value for Offset.

Method I had no effect but but Method II did the job!

> Now Method I seems to work for me, but Method II not always. In particular,
> if the page number is greater than the actual number of pages in the document
> it will not display. And negative page numbers will not display. In those
> cases the field will show as a grey bock but with no number - exactly what
> you describe.
>
> I'm not sure about page count, but I suspect the problem is similar.

it worked for page count also.

> I trust this helps.

very much so! thank you!

but we are not out of the woods yet. page count for arabic numerals is
to start at page 17, ok fine.

however now the preceding pages have numbers. I will have to remove
them. maybe sections will work or page styles; there are no section
now.

in addition some of them will a (one) roman numeral, non-consecutive,
the rest will be unnumbered, I'll finesse that by just typing in the
numerals.

will see how it goes but may be back for more advice.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields

Felmon Davis
In reply to this post by Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:33:46 -0500 (EST)
> Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> greetings!
>>
>> I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they
>> posted earlier to the list.
>>
>> it's the strangest thing. any attempt to insert 'page number' or 'page
>> count' yields a blank space.
>>
>> well, not completely blank. there is some kind of char but it appears
>> only as a grey area.
>>
>> I have tried changing fonts and I also have made a template of the doc
>> and then generated a new one. no change. I have changed the language
>> from Canadian English to American.
>>
>> the other major fields such as 'date' and so on work.
>>
>> I would guess some kind of corruption somewhere but maybe someone has
>> a better notion. I'd hate to have to reconstruct the document from
>> ground up. I'm willing to fool around with xml or whatever if needed.
>>
>> I'm on OpenOffice 4.1.6.
>>
>> f.
>>
>> --
>> Felmon Davis
>>
>
> Do the other fields appear on a grey background?  If so, this is
> non-printing, but can be suppressed by toggling /View /Field
> Shadings.  If you turn on /View /Field names, does the page number
> field show "Page Numbers"?

this worked but you may have seen my reply to Brian Barker; one of his
methods solved the present problem.

> If you turn on the Stylist (F11), and enable "All Styles" in the
> dropdown on Stylist's bottom bar, are there many styles WW... and
> Convert..., which indicate that the file has been Saved in MS
> document formats and or edited by MS Word.

just btw this is all OpenOffice, no touch of Word.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:11:36 -0500 (EST)
Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:33:46 -0500 (EST)
> > Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> greetings!
> >>
> >> I'm trying to help someone out on formatting their document; they
> >> posted earlier to the list.
> >>
> >> it's the strangest thing. any attempt to insert 'page number' or 'page
> >> count' yields a blank space.
> >>
> >> well, not completely blank. there is some kind of char but it appears
> >> only as a grey area.
> >>
> >> I have tried changing fonts and I also have made a template of the doc
> >> and then generated a new one. no change. I have changed the language
> >> from Canadian English to American.
> >>
> >> the other major fields such as 'date' and so on work.
> >>
> >> I would guess some kind of corruption somewhere but maybe someone has
> >> a better notion. I'd hate to have to reconstruct the document from
> >> ground up. I'm willing to fool around with xml or whatever if needed.
> >>
> >> I'm on OpenOffice 4.1.6.
> >>
> >> f.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Felmon Davis
> >>
> >
> > Do the other fields appear on a grey background?  If so, this is
> > non-printing, but can be suppressed by toggling /View /Field
> > Shadings.  If you turn on /View /Field names, does the page number
> > field show "Page Numbers"?
>
> this worked but you may have seen my reply to Brian Barker; one of his
> methods solved the present problem.
>
> > If you turn on the Stylist (F11), and enable "All Styles" in the
> > dropdown on Stylist's bottom bar, are there many styles WW... and
> > Convert..., which indicate that the file has been Saved in MS
> > document formats and or edited by MS Word.
>
> just btw this is all OpenOffice, no touch of Word.
>
> f.

Files which have been saved in MS Word formats, or edited by MS Word, can show peculiarities when brought back to OpenOffice; that is why I asked.  For help with pagenumbering read
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221

Use the methods set out in that Tutorial to restart numbering after a Page Style change; do not use Page Offset.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cannot insert fields

Felmon Davis
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:11:36 -0500 (EST)
> Felmon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> just btw this is all OpenOffice, no touch of Word.
>>
>> f.
>
> Files which have been saved in MS Word formats, or edited by MS
> Word, can show peculiarities when brought back to OpenOffice; that
> is why I asked.

right, I have experienced this.

> For help with pagenumbering read
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221
>
> Use the methods set out in that Tutorial to restart numbering after
> a Page Style change; do not use Page Offset.

good reference!

--
Felmon Davis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]