character set

Alane Blachford Pena
Every time this computer shuts down, I have to sign into open office again. When I did this morning, it comes to a screen with character set, language etc. Which character set do I choose for English letters in Illinois. It keeps coming up to Western European and that only opens up as ############, making the file useless. It will open the file from the recently used list, but if that disappears from the list, I am lost. Luckily I had a backup file and could recopy the file to its original form, a project I have spent most of the year working on. How can I solve this problem and not have to keep signing in. My other computer does not have this problem, but this one is easier to type on and I prefer using it.
Alane

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Monica Seles Did It in the '90s. Now, Naomi Osaka
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/603117f2ad93a17e873c5st04vuc1
New Arrests Tied to Oath Keepers: 'Trump Said It's Gonna Be Wild!'
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/603117f2d160017e873c5st04vuc2
8-Year-Old Drowns Crossing Rio Grande
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/603117f3cdf17e873c5st04vuc3

RE: character set

Jörg Schmidt-2

I don't understand the question because it is not necessary to register with OpenOffice, nor is there even the possibility to do so, because there is no online registration or anything like that.

So please describe in more detail what it is specifically about.

greetings,
Jörg

RE: character set

Alane Blachford Pena
A screen comes up asking for user name and then initials. The comes a screen with character set and has western Europe highlighted, default fonts and language. If I click ok on that screen the file opens with ##############. What character set would be the right one to open the file

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Every time this computer shuts down, I have to sign into open
> office again. When I did this morning, it comes to a screen
> with character set, language etc. Which character set do I
> choose for English letters in Illinois. It keeps coming up to
> Western European and that only opens up as ############,
> making the file useless. It will open the file from the
> recently used list, but if that disappears from the list, I
> am lost. Luckily I had a backup file and could recopy the
> file to its original form, a project I have spent most of the
> year working on. How can I solve this problem and not have to
> keep signing in. My other computer does not have this
> problem, but this one is easier to type on and I prefer using it.
> Alane

I don't understand the question because it is not necessary to register with OpenOffice, nor is there even the possibility to do so, because there is no online registration or anything like that.

So please describe in more detail what it is specifically about.

greetings,
Jörg

Another Lawmaker Slammed For Trip During Texas Storm
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/60327c692aac7c670a57st03vuc1
High Profile Trump Allies Eyed in Capitol Riot Probe
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/60327c6928a317c670a57st03vuc2
Reeling Texans Slapped With Massive Energy Bills
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/60327c694cd417c670a57st03vuc3

Re: character set

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 09:29:44 -0600
alane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A screen comes up asking for user name and then initials. The comes a screen with character set and has western Europe highlighted, default fonts and language. If I click ok on that screen the file opens with ##############. What character set would be the right one to open the file
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

An OpenOffice file showing ### is utterly corrupt and there will be no usable information in it.  Use the information below to attempt to find a complete or partial copy, or revert to a backup copy.

The file may have been damaged possibly due to disconnection from the remote location because of connection failure before the file was fully transmitted, or over hasty power off of your computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping had been transmitted

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file.

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This may recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: character set

Alane Blachford Pena
Thank you for your help. By using restore and recycle bin, I was able to recover an older copy.
Alane

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> A screen comes up asking for user name and then initials. The comes a screen with character set and has western Europe highlighted, default fonts and language. If I click ok on that screen the file opens with ##############. What character set would be the right one to open the file
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

An OpenOffice file showing ### is utterly corrupt and there will be no usable information in it.  Use the information below to attempt to find a complete or partial copy, or revert to a backup copy.

The file may have been damaged possibly due to disconnection from the remote location because of connection failure before the file was fully transmitted, or over hasty power off of your computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping had been transmitted

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file.

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This may recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

Is it a spreadsheet or a text Dokument?

Regards

Mechtilde

Am 22.02.21 um 00:45 schrieb alane:

> Thank you for your help. By using restore and recycle bin, I was able to recover an older copy.
> Alane
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome