citation/bib support in Word 2007

Bruce D'Arcus
Just found out today that MS is offering citation and bib support in Word 2007.

<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ms406055.aspx#office2007wordwhatsnew_othernewfeatures>

Still trying to find out the details, and if there's a way we can have
good interoperability with ODF.

Bruce

Re: citation/bib support in Word 2007

Matt Price-3
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 06:26:57PM -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Just found out today that MS is offering citation and bib support in Word
> 2007.
>
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ms406055.aspx#office2007wordwhatsnew_othernewfeatures>
>
> Still trying to find out the details, and if there's a way we can have
> good interoperability with ODF.

ah well.  we should have been first, now we'll be playing catchup &
have a significant lag behind them.  lost opportunity! On the other
hand, I suppose we'll probably need an improved bibliographic
component if OOo is to be able to handle word 2007 docs...  so I
suppose that will help prod the Sun folks into action.

I wonder whether it would be possible to write a grant proposal to
support the development of the bib component?  I mean, if the main
developers see no importance in this functionality.

matt

On Jun 6, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Matt Price wrote:

> ah well.  we should have been first, now we'll be playing catchup &
> have a significant lag behind them.  lost opportunity!

Well, OOo does have bib support, and we don't know that the new Word
stuff will be any better. Poking around suggests it's fairly limited.

> On the other hand, I suppose we'll probably need an improved
> bibliographic
> component if OOo is to be able to handle word 2007 docs...  so I
> suppose that will help prod the Sun folks into action.

Yeah, that's how I look at it. I think it's in our interest to have
good document-level bib support wherever we can. Ideally, I'd like
roughly equivalent file level support in OXML and ODF. The rest would
take care of itself; at least at some point!

> I wonder whether it would be possible to write a grant proposal to
> support the development of the bib component?  I mean, if the main
> developers see no importance in this functionality.

Yes, that's something to consider. I did look into an NSF grant for
this awhile back, but talking to the program officer wasn't
encouraging. We could also consider private foundations like Mellon. Am
not sure how the legal status of OOo affects our options here.  Also,
it's time-consuming to write grants, so we need to find a way to
address that too.

Bruce

Re: citation/bib support in Word 2007

Bruce D'Arcus

On Jun 6, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Matt Price wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 06:26:57PM -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> Just found out today that MS is offering citation and bib support in
>> Word
>> 2007.
>>
>> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/
>> ms406055.aspx#office2007wordwhatsnew_othernewfeatures>
>>
>> Still trying to find out the details, and if there's a way we can have
>> good interoperability with ODF.
>
> ah well.  we should have been first, now we'll be playing catchup &
> have a significant lag behind them.  lost opportunity! On the other
> hand, I suppose we'll probably need an improved bibliographic
> component if OOo is to be able to handle word 2007 docs...  so I
> suppose that will help prod the Sun folks into action.

I managed to track down some more info, though still have questions
about details. My initial conclusion is that it SEEMS that their bib
support will be only marginally superior to the existing OOo bib
support. They avoided one or two mistakes the StarOffice team made
(they store the bib data separate from the content file, which is what
we will be doing in the future), but not all of them (the data model
looks to be based on BibTeX, and it's unclear to me whether they've
designed it for anything but science types).

Bruce

Re: citation/bib support in Word 2007

David Wilson-7
Some google searches have produced -

A screen shot showing the word 2007 style selection.

http://news.com.com/2300-1012_3-6075201-12.html

Also a comment by a beta user -

 "Also worth mentioning is Word's new Reference feature that stores the
sources you use for a paper and creates the citations and bibliography
automatically. This is a great idea, but it does not format MLA citations
properly and doesn't include some text formats. It would also be nice to pull
up a book by its ISBN number. "

http://digg.com/software/First_look_at_Office_2007

regards

David