cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Jürgen Schmidt-3
Hi,

I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
here.

And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
well defined state.

I can think of the following process:

We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
suggest to ask on the list here for help.

This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)

Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.

Does this make sense?

Another approach could be to work on the underlying db directly. But
going forward with this approach would require some further analysis of
the database tables.

Important is that we get a clean state to use Pootle for quality checks,
minor changes etc. in the future.

Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Jürgen Schmidt-3
German is cleaned up ;-)

On 10/22/12 9:25 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
> here.
>
> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
> well defined state.
>
> I can think of the following process:
>
> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>
> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>
> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Another approach could be to work on the underlying db directly. But
> going forward with this approach would require some further analysis of
> the database tables.
>
> Important is that we get a clean state to use Pootle for quality checks,
> minor changes etc. in the future.
>
> Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Reizinger Zoltán
2012.10.22. 9:25 keltezéssel, Jürgen Schmidt írta:

> Hi,
>
> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
> here.
>
> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
> well defined state.
>
> I can think of the following process:
>
> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>
> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>
> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.
>
> Does this make sense?

If I know correctly the testtools was removed from source tree.
Can be the po file which contains test tool translations removed from
pootle?
  Zoltan

On 10/22/12 3:32 PM, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:

> 2012.10.22. 9:25 keltezéssel, Jürgen Schmidt írta:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
>> here.
>>
>> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
>> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
>> well defined state.
>>
>> I can think of the following process:
>>
>> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
>> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
>> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
>> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
>> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
>> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
>> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
>> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>>
>> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
>> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>>
>> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>
> If I know correctly the testtools was removed from source tree.
> Can be the po file which contains test tool translations removed from
> pootle?

we should indeed remove this but I don't know for sure which files that
are. Does anybody know for sure which files that are?

Juergen

>  Zoltan
>>
>> Another approach could be to work on the underlying db directly. But
>> going forward with this approach would require some further analysis of
>> the database tables.
>>
>> Important is that we get a clean state to use Pootle for quality checks,
>> minor changes etc. in the future.
>>
>> Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Reizinger Zoltán
Hungarian is cleaned up.
Zoltan
2012.10.22. 9:25 keltezéssel, Jürgen Schmidt írta:

> Hi,
>
> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
> here.
>
> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
> well defined state.
>
> I can think of the following process:
>
> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>
> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>
> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Another approach could be to work on the underlying db directly. But
> going forward with this approach would require some further analysis of
> the database tables.
>
> Important is that we get a clean state to use Pootle for quality checks,
> minor changes etc. in the future.
>
> Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Dick Groskamp
Nederlands  (Dutch Nl-nl)  also cleaned up :-)

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Dick Groskamp
Seems it is not possible to review other than my "own" language (Nederlands)

Tried to get acces to Afrikaans and Irish but they won't let me in to
the files under Review
so the hereunder mentioned part of Juergens proposal seems not to wortk :'(

On 10/22/12 3:56 PM, Dick Groskamp wrote:
> Seems it is not possible to review other than my "own" language
> (Nederlands)
>
> Tried to get acces to Afrikaans and Irish but they won't let me in to
> the files under Review
> so the hereunder mentioned part of Juergens proposal seems not to wortk :'(

ok let me check, the default is that you can review translations as a
committer.

Can you please check in your profile the languages you have selected
(Profile - Settings -> Languages). I assume that you can select Irish
and Africans here as well and then you should probably be able to review
these languages.

Juergen

> Op 22-10-2012 9:25, Jürgen Schmidt schreef:
>> [snip}
>>
>> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
>> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Andrea Pescetti-2
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/22/12 3:32 PM, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>> Can be the po file which contains test tool translations removed from
>> pootle?
> we should indeed remove this but I don't know for sure which files that
> are. Does anybody know for sure which files that are?

It's basic/source/app ; it's the only untranslated file at, for example,
https://translate.apache.org/it/ and I definitely agree we should remove it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

Ricardo Berlasso
2012/10/22 Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
> here.
>
> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
> well defined state.
>
> I can think of the following process:
>
> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>
> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>
> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.

Spanish is cleaned up... or at list it should be: even if I cleaned all
suggestions, on the list of items to review there is still the
"hassuggestion" entry, but of course clicking on it gives zero results...

Regards
Ricardo

On 10/22/12 10:59 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 10/22/12 3:32 PM, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>>> Can be the po file which contains test tool translations removed from
>>> pootle?
>> we should indeed remove this but I don't know for sure which files that
>> are. Does anybody know for sure which files that are?
>
> It's basic/source/app ; it's the only untranslated file at, for example,
> https://translate.apache.org/it/ and I definitely agree we should remove
> it.

Thanks Andrea, I wasn't sure and wanted to double check it. I will take
care of the removal now and will check the build...

Juergen

On 10/23/12 12:02 AM, RGB ES wrote:

> 2012/10/22 Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have deleted our 2 obsolete Pootle projects to avoid further confusion
>> here.
>>
>> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
>> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
>> well defined state.
>>
>> I can think of the following process:
>>
>> We check all languages in both projects. This can be simply done by
>> clicking on Review. On top of the page in the left upper corner there
>> should a link "Review suggestion" available when suggestions are there.
>> Somebody with committer rights have to review the suggestions and I
>> assume in most cases simply click the reject button when the strings are
>> equal. If there are more than 2 suggestions and one is equal to the
>> existing string, we can reject both. In case of a difference I would
>> suggest to ask on the list here for help.
>>
>> This can be done by everybody with committer rights, you don't have to
>> speak the language, it is a simple string compare ;-)
>>
>> Finally we should report which languages are cleaned up.
>>

> Spanish is cleaned up... or at list it should be: even if I cleaned all
> suggestions, on the list of items to review there is still the
> "hassuggestion" entry, but of course clicking on it gives zero results...

ok, thanks, but this seems to be another problem that we can potentially
solve later

Juergen

> Regards
> Ricardo
>

>> Does this make sense?
>>
>> Another approach could be to work on the underlying db directly. But
>> going forward with this approach would require some further analysis of
>> the database tables.
>>
>> Important is that we get a clean state to use Pootle for quality checks,
>> minor changes etc. in the future.
>>
>> Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

wingman1985
I am still figuring ways to install Pootle onto my computer. Hope I can
access Apache Pootle soon.,

On 10/23/12 9:25 AM, wingman1985 wrote:
> I am still figuring ways to install Pootle onto my computer. Hope I can
> access Apache Pootle soon.,

you can start to work offline with the po files. There are other tools
available like  POEdit that can be used to work with the po files directly.

What exactly do you need?

Juergen

Op 22-10-2012 16:39, Jürgen Schmidt schreef:

> On 10/22/12 3:56 PM, Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> Seems it is not possible to review other than my "own" language
>> (Nederlands)
>>
>> Tried to get acces to Afrikaans and Irish but they won't let me in to
>> the files under Review
>> so the hereunder mentioned part of Juergens proposal seems not to wortk :'(
> ok let me check, the default is that you can review translations as a
> committer.
>
> Can you please check in your profile the languages you have selected
> (Profile - Settings -> Languages). I assume that you can select Irish
> and Africans here as well and then you should probably be able to review
> these languages.
>
> Juergen
Checked. You are correct.

You first have to add the lanhuages to your profile.
Then thet will show up on your startpage.

Checked Afrikaans and Irish. Both have no suggestions so they are
cleaned up :-)

On 22/10/2012 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
> well defined state.

First, thank you for bringing Pootle to a fully functional state again.

Second, I cleaned up Italian but there was only one suggestion and I
don't know if I rejected or kept it (I didn't notice a "Reject" button;
anyway, the suggestion was equal to the existing string, so it shouldn't
matter).

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 10/23/12 5:21 PM, Dick Groskamp wrote:

> Op 22-10-2012 16:39, Jürgen Schmidt schreef:
>> On 10/22/12 3:56 PM, Dick Groskamp wrote:
>>> Seems it is not possible to review other than my "own" language
>>> (Nederlands)
>>>
>>> Tried to get acces to Afrikaans and Irish but they won't let me in to
>>> the files under Review
>>> so the hereunder mentioned part of Juergens proposal seems not to
>>> wortk :'(
>> ok let me check, the default is that you can review translations as a
>> committer.
>>
>> Can you please check in your profile the languages you have selected
>> (Profile - Settings -> Languages). I assume that you can select Irish
>> and Africans here as well and then you should probably be able to review
>> these languages.
>>
>> Juergen
> Checked. You are correct.
>
> You first have to add the lanhuages to your profile.
> Then thet will show up on your startpage.
>
> Checked Afrikaans and Irish. Both have no suggestions so they are
> cleaned up :-)

cool, thanks

Juergen

On 10/23/12 10:25 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 22/10/2012 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> And I would like to cleanup our currently used 2 projects. Means we have
>> to cleanup the currently available suggestions to bring everything in a
>> well defined state.
>
> First, thank you for bringing Pootle to a fully functional state again.
>
> Second, I cleaned up Italian but there was only one suggestion and I
> don't know if I rejected or kept it (I didn't notice a "Reject" button;
> anyway, the suggestion was equal to the existing string, so it shouldn't
> matter).

you have two buttons on the right of the suggestion field, one for
accepting and one for rejecting (the red X)

Juergen

Re: cleanup AOO Pootle projects

wingman1985
The reson is that I want to have a basic understaning of the processes
because that will make my translation more focused. Thanks.

On 10/24/12 10:21 AM, wingman1985 wrote:
> The reson is that I want to have a basic understaning of the processes
> because that will make my translation more focused. Thanks.

ok, I understand feel free to ask questions about Pootle, I think I have
some basic knowledge now ;-)

Juergen