corrupted file recovery

Fy Kwok
Dear Sir/Madam.

After saving it to doc file, the Chinese characters in my document became "question marks". and when I opened it on my Mac computer with Pages, it said "for some reason it can't be opened". my openoffice version is apache openoffice 4.1.1 and my mac is macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

Is it possible to recover my document?

Regards,
Erica Kwok

Re: corrupted file recovery

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 14:34:35 +0800
Fy Kwok <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam.
>
> After saving it to doc file, the Chinese characters in my document became
> "question marks". and when I opened it on my Mac computer with Pages, it
> said "for some reason it can't be opened". my openoffice version is apache
> openoffice 4.1.1 and my mac is macOS Sierra 10.12.3.
>
> Is it possible to recover my document?
>

> Regards,
> Erica Kwok

The same question is asked at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88298
with the file in question.

The font used is Times New Roman; I think (only a thought) that the original file encoding might be 8 bit and the Chinese characters need 16 bit. I suspect the file is irreparable.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>