crashing, error messages

Marilyn Burkle
Hi,

I have been a happy OpenOffice user for many years (when Office and Excel were no longer preinstalled on personal computers), until now.

I purchased a Dell laptop with Windows 10 in early February 2018.  I updated to OpenOffice 4.1.5 at that time or shortly after.  I have several spreadsheet files I use and update regularly.  None of them gave me a problem until mid-August.  I was gone from my laptop from August 4th thru 19th.

My largest spreadsheet file is the one I work on the most.  This spreadsheet contains 5 sheets.  The first sheet is the largest – using columns A to W and 16,886 rows.  When I resumed working on this spreadsheet in mid-August, I was using a filter on 3 columns.  The file began crashing during data entry into a cell, while making an edit to data, changing a font color, saving the file, etc.  It would usually let me work for about 15-20 minutes before crashing the 1st time.  Just before crashing, the cell pointer would act erratic – it would come & go from the screen, it would fail to open a cell, the font color options box would open up empty, and other weird stuff.  Several times, I gave it some time to see if it would settle down.  When I thought it had, I would click ‘Save’.  It crashed immediately each time, without saving.  I would return to OpenOffice, recover the file, and get back to work – each time having to redo work I had just done.  I would also have Family Tree Maker open.  Sometimes, but not always, I would have MicrosoftEdge open to familysearch.org.  OO would crash with and without familysearch being open.  Family Tree Maker was not affected.  I have used an AOC monitor, with an HDMI cable, for additional screen space since early February.

I tried researching my problem on the Community Forum without success.  I deleted the user profile; copied my data sheet by sheet into a NEW file; I renamed the file, etc.  Not helpful.

My Dell laptop came with McAfee preinstalled.  Its free 6-month trial expired in early August.  I thought this might be interfering, so I inactivated it as I already had a subscription to Webroot.  I had Geek Squad troubleshoot my computer for malware, viruses, etc.  They removed McAfee, uninstalled and reinstalled OpenOffice to no avail.  They reinstalled Windows 10 last week.  I brought my laptop home and it crashed while opening a file in OpenOffice last night.  A message popped up saying I could open a read-only copy of the file or a copy of the file as I did not have rights.  I opened a copy of the file.  Before I could even give it a name, it crashed.  When I reopened OpenOffice, it had an unnamed file to recover.  It failed to recover.  The click ‘Next’ to get an error report has failed to provide an error report since mid-August.

Since mid-August, when I go to ‘Help’, ‘Check for Updates’, I get the following report:  Check for Updates; Status – Checking for an update failed; Description – Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message.  Options:  ‘Help’ or ‘Close’.  ‘Download’ & ‘Install’ are pale and unactionable.  ‘Help’ gives me a lesson on downloading – which is useless.

Geek Squad reinstalled OpenOffice several times today.  They tried their best to get rid of the unnamed file that kept showing up to be recovered.  They suggest I abandon OpenOffice and buy Excel.

I got on my old Samsung laptop with Windows 7 last night.  When I went to Help and checked for updates, there were updates available.  No error message.  However, when I started the update from version 3 to 4 a full-sized screen popped up with an 877… # to call for immediate resolution of a whole list of issues including the removal of porno files, salvaging saved files, etc.  The mouse was inoperative, so we took a picture of the screen and held the power button down to crash the laptop.  The laptop functioned OK for my husband today, but I haven’t checked the status of the update to OpenOffice.

Please inform me on the following:
1)  Does OpenOffice have problems with Windows 10?
2)  Is OpenOffice infected with malware and/or a virus?
3)  Is anyone else with Windows 10 having this same crashing issue?
4)  Is anyone else having error messages when checking for updates?
5)  Why doesn’t OO generate an error report when I click Next?
6)  Is there a way to fix these issues?
7)  Why did OO act OK til now?

I appreciate your time and attention to the above.

Marilyn T Burkle
859.533.2068 (not a morning person)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: crashing, error messages

Wade Smart-2
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM Marilyn Burkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Please inform me on the following:
> 1)  Does OpenOffice have problems with Windows 10?
> 2)  Is OpenOffice infected with malware and/or a virus?
> 3)  Is anyone else with Windows 10 having this same crashing issue?
> 4)  Is anyone else having error messages when checking for updates?
> 5)  Why doesn’t OO generate an error report when I click Next?
> 6)  Is there a way to fix these issues?
> 7)  Why did OO act OK til now?
>
> I appreciate your time and attention to the above.

1) No it does not - not that Ive seen. Ive installed it (openoffice
and libreoffice) on many company computes - running W10 - and they use
it without issue.
2) If you downloaded from the OO site then not but otherwise, cant say.
3) I do not find W10 stable under heavy use but Ive not had trouble
with office files.
4) I do not update unless I need to but there are other messages
lately about this issue. Search the forum.
5) ... dont know on this..
6) How much memory is on your laptop? How large is the file you are opening?
7) The problem with you are having may or may not have anything to do
with OO. It may be the effect from another problem.

Answer #6 and lets see from there.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: crashing, error messages

Wade Smart-2
... yes the user is not subscribed to the list.
I replied to her too.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: crashing, error messages

David Robley
There have been a number of reports on the forum about a recent Windows
10 upgrade causing problems with AOO (and apparently with other software
as well).

Please see if
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94690#p451449
provides any help.

On 06/09/18 08:58, Marilyn Burkle wrote:

> [...]
>
> Please inform me on the following:
> 1)  Does OpenOffice have problems with Windows 10?
> 2)  Is OpenOffice infected with malware and/or a virus?
> 3)  Is anyone else with Windows 10 having this same crashing issue?
> 4)  Is anyone else having error messages when checking for updates?
> 5)  Why doesn’t OO generate an error report when I click Next?
> 6)  Is there a way to fix these issues?
> 7)  Why did OO act OK til now?
>
> I appreciate your time and attention to the above.

Cheers
--
David Robley

"The situation is grave," Tom said cryptically.