cursor problem

Bettina Lewicki
Editing a text document.......
           I see a strong black line showing where the next typing input
will be placed.....this is OK.
           Outside of the document area......I see my mouse cursor as a
black (as I set it) arrow......this is OK.
                                  But............
           To move my *mouse* cursor *inside the text document..*........it
all disappears into a VERY hard to see almost transparent thin vertical
line.

How do I get my mouse cursor to show up *inside the text document.....???*

Thanks

Bettina

Re: cursor [er, pointer?] problem

Brian Barker-2
First, this is not really an OpenOffice problem, in fact.

At 14:31 12/01/2021 -0500, Bettina Lewicki wrote:
>Editing a text document... I see a strong black line showing where
>the next typing input will be placed.....this is OK.

That is you cursor, so you are apparently happy with your cursor.

>Outside of the document area... I see my mouse cursor as a black (as
>I set it) arrow.... this is OK.

No: that's your mouse *pointer*. And you are happy with that, it seems.

>But... To move my *mouse* cursor ...

Again, mouse *pointer*.

>... *inside the text document..*.... it all disappears into a VERY
>hard to see almost transparent thin vertical line.

You should generally see an "I-beam" in this situation - a vertical
line but with serifs, like a capital letter I or the cross-section of a girder.

>How do I get my mouse cursor to show up *inside the text document...?*

Mouse pointers have little to do with the application in which you
are working, here OpenOffice, but instead with your operating system
(which you have kept a secret) and device software and driver.
Generally there is little need to make the I-beam particularly
visible, since it has significance only if you are actually using the
mouse (or other pointing device) and in that case moving the mouse
instantly reveals the I-beam position.

But you can change its appearance. In my Windows 10, for example,
which calls this version of the pointer "Text Select", there are 206
symbols available (confusingly they are in a folder named
"Cursors"!), including eight versions of beams, some much bolder than
the default. In addition, there are options to display pointer trails
and to highlight the pointer position when the Ctrl key is pressed.
You could look into the settings on your system to modify this behaviour.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker