[dev-biblio] Bibshare

Matej Cepl-2
Hi,

just to ask for adding another bibliographic project to the list on
<http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/biblio-sw.html>. It is called Bibshare
and originally it was the project how to make Word work with BibTeX files
<http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-4/bibword.html>, but later (with
support of Microsoft Research!) it developed into something much more
resembling current Bruce's thoughts of the remote database driven
references <http://bibshare.dsic.upv.es/>. Unfortunately, I haven't used it
(not having Windows here) and copyright status of the thing is unknown
(especially, suspicious if M$ Research was involved; but, originally they
provided source code).

Best,

Mat?j

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live
under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The
robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at
some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own
good will torment us without end, for they do so with the
approval of their consciences.
    -- C. S. Lewis

Re: [dev-biblio] Bibshare

David Wilson-7
Matej,

                Thanks for the suggestion, I have not come across Bibshare before. I will
add a reference to it to the biblio-sw web page.

David

On Monday 07 November 2005 2:14 am, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just to ask for adding another bibliographic project to the list on
> <http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/biblio-sw.html>. It is called Bibshare
> and originally it was the project how to make Word work with BibTeX files
> <http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-4/bibword.html>, but later (with
> support of Microsoft Research!) it developed into something much more
> resembling current Bruce's thoughts of the remote database driven
> references <http://bibshare.dsic.upv.es/>. Unfortunately, I haven't used it
> (not having Windows here) and copyright status of the thing is unknown
> (especially, suspicious if M$ Research was involved; but, originally they
> provided source code).
>
> Best,
>
> Matěj

Re: [dev-biblio] Bibshare

Bruce D'Arcus

On Nov 6, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:

> ... but later (with support of Microsoft Research!) it developed into
> something much more
> resembling current Bruce's thoughts of the remote database driven
> references <http://bibshare.dsic.upv.es/>. Unfortunately, I haven't
> used it
> (not having Windows here) and copyright status of the thing is unknown
> (especially, suspicious if M$ Research was involved; but, originally
> they
> provided source code).

I talked to them way back. The code is closed source, and I don't think
it's very well designed anyway ;-)

But definitely related; thanks!

BTW, my thinking has been changing a bit lately, and I'd like to embed
the CSL logic directly into ODF.  So in that case you have -- WRT to
OOo -- distributed metadata, but document-level formatting.

Bruce